Can dogs tell when you're sick?

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Wicket

Can dogs tell when you're sick?

Post by Wicket »

I've been sick with a really bad cold (or a possible sinus infection) and the girls have been acting funny. Maggie won't leave my side while Betsy is barking at everything and nothing. Is it possible that dogs can tell when you're sick?

P.S. If anyone has any cold remedy, they'd like to pass on, please do!
Nettle

Re: Can dogs tell when you're sick?

Post by Nettle »

Cold remedy 1 = just wait - it'll go :lol:

Cold remedy 2 = strong drink. It won't cure the cold but it stops you caring :mrgreen:

Yes dogs certainly know when we are ill. They react different ways. Some become maternal (male dogs can too) some become defensive because with us at a low ebb, they feel vulnerable. Extremely neurotic dogs may attack a sick human. Luckily that seldom happens, but it can occur.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Rupert gets even more cuddly and clingy if I'm ill. If I take him for a walk when I'm ill he plays me up something shocking though. He pulls on leash, crosses in front of me when walking, lunges at things he wants to sniff and is generally an absolute nightmare. Course when I'm ill all I want is to get the walk over with and curl up and die, I don't want to be walking backwards and forwards with a dog who's acting like he's never had a minutes training.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Karma will stay beside me the whole time just before I become ill and while I'm ill or even injured! She won't even budge to go get a drink of water, food, toilet, or even for a walk or some other exercise! :shock: Just ask CoolDog! :lol:
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
CoolDog

Post by CoolDog »

With your case, wvvd, Karma is really sensitive to it, especially when you walk and exercise her, because she seems she doesn't want to go far from your sight and this is something I've really noticed for the last couple of months. I'm really concerned about her, Wvv!
MaiasMom

Post by MaiasMom »

yes they can tell. My posse each not only check each other out for infections, but me and my grandchildren as well. At least once a day one of the three gives me a a good smell down. My Granddaugher is disabled, Maia stays as close to her as she can get and everything that child comes through the door, Maia gives her "the nose down" from head to toe. Sometimes she alerts at Abby's belly, Abby has a G tube that feeds her and sometimes can get a little infection, Maia is on it like Ice Cream on a cone. The boys don't do this as much but then they are the boys, more interested in each others willy's than anything else.
The best days are spent with my dogs.