Dog won't stop shaking!

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

kralicki

Dog won't stop shaking!

Post by kralicki »

My husband took the boys out this morning and when they came back in, Rocky was shaking like crazy. Tail down, he ran for the sofa. When I went to pet him he started crying and ran to his favorite hiding spot. It has been over 2 hours now and there is no change.
Bruce (husband) was able to get him out again but he just sat next to him, shaking, then ran back inside to his spot and there he sits.
On the second trip out his brother Bruno ran to pee and then made a beeline for the house, too. Can there be something outside that scared him so badly? Other than thunderstorms, I have never seen him act this way.
I know that I shouldn't make a big deal about it but I am worried.
Thanks.
***Melissa***

Re: Dog won't stop shaking!

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Oh goodness, that does not sound right :shock:

Could a poisenous spider or something bite him while out on his walk?
Maybe take him (or rather both of them) to the vet for a thorough check up.

Do they walk on grass that could be sprayed with something that may burn their feet, noses, eyes?
Could there be something making a sound that you can't hear but they can?

If they are cleared by a vet there must be something outside that is extremely scary for them.
Did your husband notice exactly where it was that they were starting to shake?
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
kralicki

Post by kralicki »

My husband didn't notice anything but it was dark when they want out.
I went over him once or twice to make sure there was nothing hurting him but now that I think of it...he slept on his bed in our room most of the night and was super restless. They usually sleep on their sofa in the den by the fire and I know he gets scared when the fire "pops" but it was out by the time he came in.
He asked to go out to potty and ate a cookie just now. The shaking is less but he is still off. He won't wag his tail (it is between his legs yet) and he is all hunched down. Poor baby. He is such a sensitive boy to begin with. I will call the vet when they get in and see what she thinks.
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Please keep us updated :)
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
kralicki

Re: Dog won't stop shaking!-update

Post by kralicki »

Rocky went to the vet and sure enough....his tail was dislocated and badly sprained. She said that he may have done it while wrestling with his brother. Perhaps he fell back on it.
Now that it is "set" he is much improved. It is still swollen but he is sitting and wagging now.
I never knew how serious a tail injury could be and how difficult they are to manage from a veterinary perspective.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I'm glad you found what was wrong. He must have caught it in something.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS