Which raw bones for teeth cleaning?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Appa_valley

Which raw bones for teeth cleaning?

Post by Appa_valley »

Howdy,

Just wanting to know which raw bones are the best for teeth cleaning, as long as they're not the weight bearing bones. I don't feed raw right now as I haven't read enough into it, but I would like to give my dog a couple of meaty bones a week to clean his teeth (specifically his back teeth). He is 80+ pounds (didn't know if ya needed that info or not).
***Melissa***

Re: Which raw bones for teeth cleaning?

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Basically you can feed any bones that are not weight bearing.
Chicken wings are nice to feed, and so are rib bones. Remember that it's important that the bone be covered with meat (about the same meat/bone ratio than that of a chicken wing) :wink:
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
runlikethewind

Post by runlikethewind »

Hi

I raw feed but just out of interest Melissa, as I've not been able to find out really = pigs trotters which I have often fed and they make a terrible noise when being crunched up - do you class these as weight bearing?
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Interesting question - I have no idea if they would be classed as weighed bearing or not. :?
Do trotters contain actual bone? :?
Nettle will know...I'm sure she'll come and clarify :D
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
Appa_valley

Post by Appa_valley »

What in the world are trotters?
runlikethewind

Post by runlikethewind »

Pigs' feet. Trotters...! So you'd argue they bear the weight of the whole pig but are apparently very soft. Yes they do contain bone. I've given my dog them in the past but they make a h*ll of a noise when being eaten. PS I get outdoor reared ones (no awful intensive pork meat for me!) from Farmers Choice in the UK - they delivery and cheap as chips (well not really, but an expression)
Appa_valley

Post by Appa_valley »

Ah, ok, gotcha. Haha, I've never heard them called by that name before. I'll have to start saying that. :lol:
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Yeah - they don't seem hard at all :? I wonder...
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

They are fine. I'll take fifty lashes - trotters ARE weight-bearing - but okay to feed :lol: :oops:

Not-good weight-bearing bones on animals are leg bones. Unless animal is very young eg a calf or new lamb. I used to feed a lot of day-old calves until it became illegal *sigh*

Chicken legs are fine because the birds are so young when they are killed that the bones are soft. I'd avoid feeding the leg bones of a gnarled old rooster though.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

posted twice :roll:

Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Yesterday I bought some chicken legs for Murphy and saw a package of "turkey bones for soup." I couldn't tell where the bones came from but they had plenty of meat on them. Does anyone know what part of the bird "soup bones" come from, or where I could find out? It was at the grocery store so I can't ask any butcher. I would consider getting those for some variety (I've only fed chicken legs and wings so far, haven't done red meat yet) but I'm not sure. Are there any "off limits" parts of a turkey?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Turkey legs aren't a good idea. You will be able to identify the leg bones - they look like chicken leg bones but bigger.

Noobs

Post by Noobs »

The packages that I found didn't look like they had any turkey legs - besides, they wouldn't sell those as soup bones anyway. Thanks, Nettle.
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Went to a different grocery store today - one that had an actual butcher in back. There were all sorts of packaged meats including pigs' feet and whole rabbits. I might actually try pigs' feet for Murphy at some point but L is so grossed out by the thought. :lol:
Esprit64

Post by Esprit64 »

Hello: What's wrong with weight-bearing bones? I routinely feed my dog frozen chicken legs?