Long Lines

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Appa_valley

Long Lines

Post by Appa_valley »

Could anyone suggest some good brands of long lines? I have a Remington long line, but it is a thin nylon and I absolutely hate it! It gets tangled all the time. I would rather have the rope kind, but I don't know of very many brands. Please and thank you.
Horace's Mum

Re: Long Lines

Post by Horace's Mum »

I use a clix one, but not sure you can get them over there? Best thing is to find a source for the type of rope you want, buy a clip (or take one off an old lead) and stick it on the end!! Have a look on ebay or in a sailing shop for different ropes, or a hardware store if you have one.
Appa_valley

Post by Appa_valley »

Thank you! I have actually thought about just buying a rope and tying it to the clip. One problem though, I'm not sure how to do that. Tying it obviously, but I don't know what kind of knot to use.

Saw a long line on some website a couple of months ago that would have been suitable, but of course I wasn't looking for one then and know I can't remember what website it was! Isn't that the way it always goes? :|
Appa_valley

Post by Appa_valley »

AHA!!! Yes! I found it, yayy!! http://www.petexpertise.com/dog-leashes ... ml#petdesc

Now I just have to save up money for it. :)
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

Doesn't really matter what knot you use as long as it doesn't come undone! It doesn't need to look pretty, just needds to work. If you are unsure about it then knot it and then cover it with electricians tape to make sure the ends are enclosed. Would be a lot cheaper to do your own!!
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

I just got a length of nylon rope/cord/clothesline for like three dollars at the hardware store. I attached the lead clips by using a square knot, reinforced by a double half-hitch. Same with the end tied to my "anchor" (front porch swing or cellar door). These knots are very secure, but also not terribly difficult to undo if I want to take the line with me to a park.

For instructions on how to tie knots, and the best knots for what you want to do, check out this link: http://www.2020site.org/knots/
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

I have been looking at long lines too and most of them seem to come as webbing, which I find can be hard to hold onto. I am planning on buying a hank of rope to tie a clip onto too. (Unless I find the hank of rope that I know is in this house somewhere first. :lol: ) I'm planning on knotting the rope in various places along the length to provide stop points to grip or step on.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

The clix one I have is a soft webbing and its fab - doesn't hurt your hands when you pick it up and use it as a lead. But if you just want it to drag or just to hold the end then rope would be fine - knots are a good idea along its length though, does make a difference!
Appa_valley

Post by Appa_valley »

Thanks, guys! Didn't expect to get this many answers. So I think I will just buy a regular rope and clip or the clix kind. Found out that the Leerburg website sells those. Thanks again, you guys are so helpful. Hugs to good friends. :D