Parvovirus/Vaccination

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Mrschefiinny

Re: Parvovirus/Vaccination

Post by Mrschefiinny »

Good idea about the membership-based dog run, OHenry; I never knew they existed! I will definitely use the "leave it" command.

Does the virus linger in the residue left on the cement once the poop has been scooped? Will giving the pup a good wipe down once we get home be a safe solution as well, or is that stripping away too much of the needed oils after awhile?
Healthy Food for a Healthy Life
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Mrschefiinny wrote:Here in NYC, it is wonderful dog-friendly city -- however, it is almost impossible to abstain from high traffic areas that could be contaminated. The sidewalks alone often have fecal matter and whatnot. It is quite frightening to bring home a young pup and attempt to potty train outdoors (let alone quick daily walks).

With that said, any tips for urban pet owners? :D
I'm in New York (Queens to be exact) and I only go to the off leash dog park once, maybe twice a month because it's small and pretty yucky looking. When I took my dog regularly during his highest energy period and before I knew better, about 4-5 times per week, I had to take him to the vet quite a few times because of something or other that he caught, but nothing too serious, just rashes and whatnot.

My dog also used to eat other dogs' poop on our walks. Thankfully he seems to have grown out of it and will only do it once in a great while, and I've taught him a pretty good "drop" (I thought we'd never get here!) now. I haven't been able to master "leave it" in real-life situations because if he sees food on the ground before I do, he will lunge for it. I can only stay alert to objects on the ground and walk around them in order to avoid him picking stuff up.

If you can afford doggy daycare and your dog copes well in that type of environment, there are tons of them in New York, and they require that all dogs are vaccinated, spayed/neutered, and also do a "temperament test" (that means different things to different people) before admitting the dogs. I can't afford it, so I have to take care of all my dog's exercise. So just stay diligent if you're doing all the walking. At the park, even during off leash hours, I use a 20-foot line so I can reel my dog in in case of emergency, but at least he can run around a bit. He's part sight hound and I don't have an enclosed yard of my own to train distance recalls, so he's got to be on leash at all times.
OHenry

Post by OHenry »

Yes there are several. Are you in Manhattan? Here are some: http://manhattan.about.com/od/citylife1 ... dogrun.htm