Excessive Drooling

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Jean

Excessive Drooling

Post by Jean »

My 9 month old female shih tzu has been excessively drooling for the last 4 days. It is to the point that she gets whatever her head is lying on completely soaked. Two days ago, she passed 6 small plastic buttons in her stool. All other buttons are accounted for. I have no idea how long she had these buttons in her. We took her to our regular vet before the passing on the buttons and to an emergency vet after the passing. She has been given meds for nausea, but she isn't nauseous. She is eating, drinking and eliminating normally. She is playing with our other shih tzu as well. We are at our wit's end. Could she possibly still be teething? She will eat any and every thing she can get her mouth on. I have been checking her stools for the last 3 days for any further objects. Please, please....any suggestions and help greatly appreciated.
***Melissa***

Re: Excessive Drooling

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Do you have access to another vet?
If I were you I'd get a second (or third) opinion.
It doesn't sound right, and if it's a medical issue only a vet can help you.
Please keep us posted on how she's doing.
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
Jean

Post by Jean »

We figured out what the problem was....(we had her scheduled to go back to our regular vet for complete x-rays and bloodwork.) It came to me in the middle of the night she had licked Vicks' VaporRub on my face on Thursday of last week and the problems started the next morning. She completely stopped drooling on Monday afternoon and no odd odor in her stool. We are watching her, but she seems to be fine.
So if your furbaby loves to lick your face, as mine does, be mindful of what you may have on your face.
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Oh goodness :lol:

I'm glad she's okay now
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams