Toys Games for Rescue Dog

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

pickles5

Toys Games for Rescue Dog

Post by pickles5 »

We have an adult rescue dog we adopted a few months ago. She is a German Shepherd Mix (some New Foundland, retriever, perhaps Lab), ranging from 3 to 5 years old. She is wonderful with my 3 kids, handling all of their eager petting and cooing. I took her through a basic dog training class, where she did pretty well. However, she won't really play. She is food motivated, loves a Kong stuffed with peanut butter. She loves to go on walks, which we do every day (especially since she is overweight). She just looks blankly at me when I throw a frisbee. She won't tug on a rope toy. Balls hold no interest. No to squeaky toys as well. She will try to bury a bone occasionally. My husband can get her excited by slapping his hands on the floor near her and she tries to jump at his hands, but that's it. The trainer at our PetSmart told me it could be because nobody played with her as a puppy. Anyone have any ideas on something else I could try to stimulate her mentally and physically - and just have some fun? THe walks are great until she sees a dog coming the other way. Then it's barking, lunging and going crazy. "Leave it" and distracting with treats doesn't seem to do much, but I guess that's another topic. Thanks.
Nettle

Re: Toys Games for Rescue Dog

Post by Nettle »

Some dogs just don't play. It isn't important. We have a pinned thread "Exercise the Mind" for some fun things you can do with your dog. Also clicker-training is great for most dogs.

We also have a ton of threads on reactive dogs, so you could do some research there and come back with your questions. Especially read what Jacksdad has done with his dog - brilliant work there.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
pickles5

Post by pickles5 »

Thank you. I will check those ideas out.
OHenry

Post by OHenry »

For a smart dog, sometimes "goal-oriented" toys (open the lid to find the treat) can be interesting in a way that squeakers or chew toys are not. The pinned thread on impromptu agility course ideas might also be worthwhile if she will try any of that kind of thing.