Cardboard boxes

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Noobs

Cardboard boxes

Post by Noobs »

It is suggested quite often to give dogs cardboard boxes without staples to chew/shred. I do this for Murphy. When we run out of cereal I use the box to feed him one of his meals. I wrap kibble into magazine pages (the kind with flimsy pages, not heavy-duty paper) and stuff the box full of them. Takes him 20 minutes to eat one meal and he's totally wrecked afterwards.

Sometimes he also like to shred heavy cardboard boxes such as the kind you get when merchandise is shipped to you. He also likes to shred empty paper towel rolls or toilet paper rolls.

Sometimes he ends up eating the cardboard. How bad is that? He usually takes tiny pieces off and chews, then spits, but sometimes eats them. So the pieces aren't large, but L is worried about him consuming any cardboard. Should we be worried?
Beckyyy

Re: Cardboard boxes

Post by Beckyyy »

I don't think smaller pieces would do any harm as they turn quite mushy when they're wet, just as long as nothing gets stuck in his throat.

Duke loves to take apart a cardboard box. He justs tears bits off, spits them out and takes another lump off :lol:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

You can never say "never" where animals are concerned :lol: but I don't see that cardboard would do harm in small quantities.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Thanks for the info! :D
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Swallowing the occasional piece of chewed up cardboard hasn't done Rupert any harm. I give him any empty food boxes, tubes from the toilet rolls, kitchen towel and all sorts to shred for me. He mostly rips it up and spits it out but he has swallowed little bits here and there.