Where to get a good fitting harness?

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Dogwoodblossom

Where to get a good fitting harness?

Post by Dogwoodblossom »

The harness I have for my poodle is too big. It's just a standard H harness I bought at Petco when I used to work there. The thing is the poodle is on the small end of small but she doesn't tip over into teacup. So adjusted to the smallest fit, this harness is still slightly too big. It slides around, gives her mats in sensitive places (and maybe all harnesses do that to some degree, but her collar doesn't give her mats around her neck), and I know it bugs her the way it moves all the time. When we go for walks she has to stop and shake periodically to get it repositioned.

I was looking on Etsy at some cool dog gear, but I thought before I shelled out the big bucks on a custom leather harness I'd ask what people here do with hard to fit dogs. The harness I was looking at was the sort of figure 8 type, two loops with buckles that meet over the back. That seems like it'd be less likely to slip than the kind she has now. Anybody have any suppliers that they're particularly happy with?
Horace's Mum

Re: Where to get a good fitting harness?

Post by Horace's Mum »

I initially got the figure of eight type because I liked the fact that the lead effectively "locked" it shut ie the clip couldn't fail. I hated it, it slipped all over the place, it pulled over his head, and it just didn't sit nicely on his back. I got an H one which was ok but as you say it can slip round. I made my own harnesses based on the walkeez ones, which were pretty good but still weren't quite right for me. I eventually ended up splashing out on a ruffwear webmaster harness which I love.

Having said that, I have a lurchery type, not a poodle, and I would suggest to you to have a look at the walkeez harnesses - they can be made to measure and come very small, are lined with fleece, and very comfortable. Do a search on here and you will find some pictures and links - a lot of owners here have them!!
Jscott1

Re: Where to get a good fitting harness?

Post by Jscott1 »

I bought this one, originally for the no-pull aspect but I really like it. Unfortunately the smallest they had was too big for my doxie but I just sewed up the top where it is supposed to tighten if they pull and it fits really well. He doesn't have much hair on his tummy so I was worried about it rubbing, but the bottom strap is made from a velveteen fabric and super soft. Also, they had the forethought to make the cut /melted parts of the nylon face outward so it doesn't poke the dog at all. (seems obvious, but all the other harnesses I looked at had the finishing inwards - making it look good, but no thought to the comfort of the dog) It is well made and doesn't slip. It slides over his head, then it latches on each side so putting it on him is easier than any other I previously tried. I think I went through at least 3 other harnesses before I bought this one. There is no comparison, this one is by far the best of the ones I tried. I purchased it at the puppy class I took him to and the optional leash has two clips so you can attach them to the front and back, or just attach one and have a longer leash. The link is for the same harness, I just purchased it locally.

http://www.2houndsdesign.com/5-8-inch-N ... r-346.html