Dog hates walking in rain

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

KathyC

Dog hates walking in rain

Post by KathyC »

I have a 5 year old Lhasa Apso. He is cut short so no long coat. However he absolutely hates walking out in the rain and it seems to be getting worse. He now doesn't want to walk even if the ground is wet even though it might not actually be raining. I pull him on his lead but he can be quite strong for a small dog. The pulling must be unpleasant for him but its also unpleasant for me and going for a walk is not a very enjoyable experience. I eventually have to turn round and go home. I've tried changing the walking direction to trick him but he still stops and won't carry on.

He's always detested walking in the rain but now I'm having the problem with it just being wet on the ground. Yet when the weather is fine and the field we go to is wet grass, that doesn't seem to bother him. Any ideas as I don't like the fact that he's not getting the exercise, thanks.
maximoo

Re: Dog hates walking in rain

Post by maximoo »

Do you have a backyard/porch? If so put up some sort of canopy in an area he is allowed to go. The canopy will keep him & area dry. If you live in an apt, I am a dead end sorry! But you can play lots of games indoors (see Exercise the Mind thread)
good luck!
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

Have you tried using a raincoat for him?
KathyC

Post by KathyC »

Thanks for the replies. Getting him to go into the garden to toilet isn't a problem. He stands on the back doorstep looking out to the garden but as soon as I say go for a "wee wee", he goes to the nearest bush and goes and then runs back in. That is fine its just not being able to walk him that I was more concerned about.

Tried the raincoat - I couldn't get him out of the front door when I put it on him!!

Will keep trying but the exercises sound a good idea.

Thanks.