Stuffing-free dog toys

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

smokeyandme

Stuffing-free dog toys

Post by smokeyandme »

I know, it sounds kinda weird, but it sure helps keep the house cleaner. These toys are just like the usual dog toy, except they're not stuffed with anything. Our dog is not a big toy player, but he loves this one. It has a squeaker in the nose and the tail. When he picks up this toy, he works his way to one end, and then whips it back and forth, so that it squeaks every time it hits him on the side. He likes to catch it, and when he wants us to tug with him or throw it, he flips one end at us, with an expectant look.
I have read in Victoria's book that toys make good rewards, so now I have another way to work with my dog.
Please excuse me, if this sounds really basic to you. I wanted to share my discovery with other folks who might be beginners! :lol:
Noobs

Re: Stuffing-free dog toys

Post by Noobs »

Hm, sounds interesting!

Found some here for anyone who needs a visual aid.

http://www.overstock.com/Gifts-Flowers/ ... oduct.html
Wes

Post by Wes »

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... id=prod_cs

That's Sampson's favourite. Rosie has the dinosaur one. Neither dog can tear through them and Rosie likes to carry hers around like a baby.
OHenry

Post by OHenry »

There is a variation that you can put an empty plastic water bottle inside for a nice crackle n' crunch. They're fun!
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

I saw the water bottle toys a few weeks ago. http://www.dogtoys.com/water-bottle-cra ... -toys.html
--dontpugme
smokeyandme

Post by smokeyandme »

Yeah, sorry I forgot to mention where I've seen them for sale. Walmart has them for $10 and Petsmart has a seemingly sturdier version for $7--at least that's what they were last time I checked.
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

I've seen these stuffing free toys at my local drugstore, too! (CVS, Rite-Aid, etc., have pet sections.)
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Oh, do you guys put water bottles in these toys with the caps still on or off? If you use them without the caps, do you poke a hole on the bottom so if the dog somehow gets the bottle out, the suction doesn't pull his tongue into the bottle?
OHenry

Post by OHenry »

yikes, I had never thought of that! Henry crunches and cracks open the bottles, not using his tongue, but that is still an important warning...
runlikethewind

Post by runlikethewind »

Yes there's a warning on a bunch of balls which have only one hole , can't remember the name of them now - terrible injuries being causes. Dog losing a tongue because of the suction and swelling. Horrific
OHenry

Post by OHenry »

Yes the one in the news a couple of years ago was the Four Paws Pimple Ball with Bell but it could happen with any ball/toy with a tongue-size opening at one end and no hole in the other. scary! thanks for the reminder....
Wicket

Post by Wicket »

Stupid question: Will buying a stuffing free dog toy shaped like an animal my dogs already like to "hunt" (read: chase and never get it) after encourage more of this?
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I wouldnt have thought so, unless its also scented like that animal, but even then -- your dog knows the difference between the toy and he real thing.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant