Episode? Dog obsessed with shiny objects and shadows

Discussion of Victoria's TV show, It's Me or the Dog.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

mbeliot

Post by mbeliot »

Hello all,

I remember an episode about a dog that was obsessed with light, shiny objects, shadows etc. I can't remember the dog's name or how Victoria worked with the dog.

Does anyone remember or have any ideas? I know a dog with this problem.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

It was a great dane I think, and I seem to recall his owner gave him a lot of attention for the behaviour.

I could be wrong but I think Victoria got the owner to give the dog a distracting signal, which came to mean 'that behaviour means im going away from you and will ignore you, no fun can come of this'.

So the owner would do that, i think make an 'AH AH' sound and walk away from the dog.

If the dog came, he was rewarded. If not, he got nothing.

I do thnk there was more to it than that but I am fuzzy now as its a while since i saw that episode.

Does that jog your memory or anyone elses?
mbeliot

Post by mbeliot »

Thank you Emmabeth,

I do know it was a large dog and yes, your reply did help to refresh my memory.

The dog I know with this problem is a Golden.

Wish I could see that episode again. Seems like the trick was to break the dog's concentration on the light or shadow, and quickly lure away for a reward.

I like Victoria's approach and positive methods.
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

The dog you were asking about was Max, a Gordon Setter. He had been raised as an army dog and his 'kennel' was a ballroom. I believe that he spent long amounts of time by himself in this mirrored ballroom, and his obsession with reflections started from there. I think he entertained himself by chasing the relections made on the mirrors. When he was re-homed he was already obsessed and this was causing his owners a lot of distress. Part of it was habit and part attention seeking. Interrupting his focus and redirecting him onto something more positive was key in helping him modify the behaviour. That along with lots of exercise and stimulating toys to play with really helped him.
leafninjasteph

Post by leafninjasteph »

If anyone wants to watch this episode again or watch episodes from series 2 and 3 you can find some on http://www.veoh.com/channels/imotd :D
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Im losing my marbles in my old age.... why on earth did I think he was a Dane? :oops: :lol:
katowaggytail

Post by katowaggytail »

Old age Emm!! :lol:
pat

Post by pat »

I've just watched this episode again as I'm looking for some ideas for my collie Sasha. I've been training her for agility but she seems to have crossed a line from enjoying what we're doing to being obsessed with it. It's quite normal for a dog to be keen on agility and get over excited but Sasha screeches hysterically if she can't get at the jumps and nothing will distract her. She even ignores her first love which is food. I don't think that a dog in this state is actually enjoying what she's doing and she's not tackling the obstacles very safely either. I need to find some way of getting her to work in a calmer manner. Any ideas would be welcome.
Getting eliminated is all part of the fun, or so I was told
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

New here, and this episode absolutely thrilled me

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

because I live in South Carolina and am fostering a pup whose full-blown canine compulsive disorder was encouraged for a year and a half at her former foster home. Possum is a deafblind lethal white aussie (we think) who has overcome 1) flooded colon; 2) 75% of her constant spinning, barking & chewing on everything from metal to ceramics; 3) 90% of her aggression; 4) fho for blunt force trauma to her hip; 5) severe aversion to all humans and animals; 6) inability to eat without flying into a rage and flinging food all over while trying to 'kill' any dog who came near her.

Her issues, I believe have direct bearing to her first year and a half of life.

We still have serious issues, but we have come so far. It took a YEAR to get an Rx for chlomipramine, the Rx of choice for human and canine compulsive disorder and while behaviour modification cut her CCD in half, the Rx gave her another 25% relief. I have had to fight twice for Rx renewals, as the doc was not inclined. She has gained 3 pounds from her March to her April vet visits, which is huge and shows the success of the protocol.

I have another DeafBlind who is touch trained and the poster child for overcoming all odds.

To see Victoria showcase the serious behavioural issues with such a successful resolution gave me real hope. In that dog's case, however, diversion worked so well. In Possum's case, only touch will work, and we are now investigating a scent diversion. She is not treat motivated in fact she does not get treats because she won't eat them, but if a DeafBlindPup comes near her accidently, there is bloodshed and chaos.

The diversion method works so well. In our case, behaviour modification mostly consists of interruption. And now that she seeks out touch and tickles and play and good things, we have a platform from which to work.

Ideas welcome and thank you again for this wonderful episode!
Karen, Andy's ^i^ Mom
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/