leave

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

emma-louise

leave

Post by emma-louise »

whats the best way to teach leave?
(where i can put some thing down and he wont take it untill hes told he can)

jack will leave things in the street but in the house we just cant seem to learn it and jack usually picks things up so fast im guessing im doing it wrong or giving mixed signals :(

any advice?
click the banner to view our staffordshire bull terrier forum
[url=http://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/][img]http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t7/cliftonfc/sbtlogo.jpg[/img][/url]
Maxy24

Post by Maxy24 »

Yeah some dogs will leave things while on walks because there is something more important to do (continue the walk) while at home there isn't.

I teach leave it by placing a piece of food on the ground and I sit next to it when the dog goes for it I put my hand over the food. He usually sits back so I move my hand and repeat again and again until he stops going for it then I give a treat (not the one on the ground) and praise. I then start saying the command leave it when i put my hand over the food. And eventually she will catch on that leave it means the food is not able to be taken by her. Once he listens to that I place the food on the ground and do it standing up by placing my foot over it instead of my hand. Once I can place the food say, leave it and have him not go for it I move on to dropping the food and making him leave it. I drop it, say leave it and if he does not my foot goes over the food. If he listens he gets a treat and praise. I pick the food I dropped up and repeat. it works quite well for me. then once he listens you can move on to using other non food objects, I just start with food because it's small enough to fir under my hand and foot.
Owdb1tch

Post by Owdb1tch »

I put food away. I don't think it is reasonable to expect a dog to leave food that has been left within reach.
danabanana

Post by danabanana »

I really couldn't say! My girl will pick up anything she finds on walks - thank goodness I taught her 'give' quite well in case it's something nasty!

She 'leaves' cat food really well but I think that's more from the fear of being smacked in the face by the cat than anything I've taught her!
emma-louise

Post by emma-louise »

Owdb1tch wrote:I put food away. I don't think it is reasonable to expect a dog to leave food that has been left within reach.
thanks helpful!

i wanted help in teaching another command to continue his training to keep him ocupied and intrested in training not so i can leave food around and be unreasonable telling him off when he eats it! but ill just stick to the boring stuff he can do with his eyes closed then instead

rule in my house is if its with in his reach its his weather im daft enough to leave shoes on the floor or drop food, i even have the bin on the side so its not a tease for him.
click the banner to view our staffordshire bull terrier forum
[url=http://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/][img]http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t7/cliftonfc/sbtlogo.jpg[/img][/url]
Owdb1tch

Re: leave

Post by Owdb1tch »

emma-louise wrote:whats the best way to teach leave?
(where i can put some thing down and he wont take it untill hes told he can)

jack will leave things in the street but in the house we just cant seem to learn it

We can only go by what you tell us in the first place.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

emma-louise wrote: thanks helpful!

i wanted help in teaching another command to continue his training to keep him ocupied and intrested in training not so i can leave food around and be unreasonable telling him off when he eats it! but ill just stick to the boring stuff he can do with his eyes closed then instead

rule in my house is if its with in his reach its his weather im daft enough to leave shoes on the floor or drop food, i even have the bin on the side so its not a tease for him.
This is uncalled for Emma-Louise, you asked a question and members gave up their time to answer it, it isn't there fault that you were not very clear in your question. They don't deserve the post you put up.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Everyone breaaaaaaaaaaaaathe :)

Thats better.

Emma your post did initially come across as you wanting your dog to ignore stuff all the time, and unfortunately, people like me, mattie, owdb1tch - we come across people every single day who have totally ridiculous expectations of their dog.

Thats not what you meant, so you just had to say that - misunderstandings are fine, they happen all the time especially on the internet, and all it needs is for someone to say 'oopsy thats not what i meant'.

I once read a reply to something id written somewhere else, as if the person was being incredibly sarcastic and rude to me... i read hte post three times and it was only as i was writing my reply out that i went back to read it for the forth time....... and picked up ONE word i had missed that totally changed the meaning and tone of the post.

I am even more ashamed to say that this is a person i have met twice and known of for a very long time and KNOW she would not be like that but STILL i read it in a nasty 'tone of voice'...

Fortunately I realised and didnt leap down her throat - it is always worth remembering that if you are in a bad mood or you think everyone is out to get you (we ALL have days like that), you can accidentally apply that frame of mind to the other persons post and not realise whats actually happened.

You have done wonders with your dog, when you were dropped in the deep end with him, so dont let a little misunderstanding stop you!