What do you do about dogs off leash?

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

leslie123

What do you do about dogs off leash?

Post by leslie123 »

I am incredibly frustrated with so many owners in my neighborhood leaving their dogs off leash to roam unattended. I can barely get around the corner with Sulley with seeing a dog, no owner in sight, roaming around. I always turn and go the opposite direction since I have no idea what these dogs are going to do if allowed to get in greeting distance of us. The last thing I want is for Sulley (at only 4 mos now) to have bad experiences with other dogs. My husband noticed that one of the few neighbors that uses a leash with her husky always carry's a big stick on her walks. I guess I can do that, but again that seems like a pretty unpleasant experience for my puppy if I have to beat another dog off! I'm not sure I could even do it. Is there something else I can do to keep these roaming dogs away from us?
jacksdad

Re: What do you do about dogs off leash?

Post by jacksdad »

oh you will be surprised what you can/will do when it comes to protecting your dog :wink:

couple things you can try

umbrella. open a umbrella like a shield when the dog comes charging towards you.

treat "bomb". throw a hand full of treats at the dog and walk the other way

sit. try telling the dog to sit, then you turn and walk the other way
leslie123

Post by leslie123 »

Thanks jacksdad :D I appreciate the suggestions.
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

If a dog is charging you, get your dog behind you, plant your feet and very loudly and firmly with hand outstretched say "No!" or "Stop!" You'd be surprised what the Voice of Doom (TM Nettle/Emma/Mattie, can't remember who said it first) can accomplish stopping a dog in its tracks. Happened to me twice - once at the park with Murph on a long line. Off leash small dog came bounding over, and I got the stance and the command out while it was still at least 30 feet away so it stopped. Owner called it back, no trouble. Second time, a dog got out of its gate, and it is a dog that I know to be aggressive (lunges toward ANYONE, dogs and humans) who comes close, owners never do anything to control it and obviously don't know what to do, and it came charging at us. I did the same thing and it stopped running toward us but continued to bark and raise a ruckus. THAT one got me scared since I knew the dog was aggressive (almost bit my ankle once when I walked by without my dog but the owner stopped it with the retractable leash on time). So in that case it was more like the Voice of Death not Doom. :lol: