The Ultimate recall noise

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

leslie123

The Ultimate recall noise

Post by leslie123 »

So this morning I was having a little training/playtime with Sulley. I've decided to use his tug toy to work on his impulse control and we were off to a nice start, then it happened..
Suddenly the sound of the cat getting ready to hack up a hairball (or his breakfast). I could have been a 5'6" hot dog and I wouldn't have been more interesting than the cat getting ready to throw up, and yes I know Sulley was hoping for some of his breakfast to come up too! (blech) My gosh, was he ever focused!! I did have a good laugh telling my husband about it afterward and just imagining us outside making the cat hairball noise to call our dog!
On a slightly more serious note it kind of engrained a realization for me too. He's a DOG! What I mean is, that I have to always keep remembering that in everything we do. He thinks like a dog and the more I understand the thoughts and motivation behind his action's the easier it will be to mold training and help him understand how to live in our human world by our human rules. I know most everyone here already understands this concept well, but as a "cat person" and basically newbie dog owner, it was kind of a revelation for me, or maybe it just finally sank in deeper when I saw how much Sulley wanted to eat the fresh warm meal the cat was about to choke up. :lol: I just looked at him and thought.. "He's such a dog!"
jynnan tonnix

Re: The Ultimate recall noise

Post by jynnan tonnix »

eeeeeew! :lol:
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hmm.... that gives me an idea.... :shock:
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
leslie123

Post by leslie123 »

Fundog wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:

Hmm.... that gives me an idea.... :shock:
:lol: Should I ask?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Fundog - you wouldn't - :shock:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

:lol:

You get the hang of thinking like a dog... in the end. Sometimes too much and then you stop and think 'wait... did I think/do/say that..... EUUUUURGH'..

Realising that someone elses vomit is a potentially tasty meal (or the dogs own vomit... or poop....) and NOT thinking ;eurgh' as you race your dog to the source of the impending vomit... thats when you are truly a dog person!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant