How much of the training is edited out?

Discussion of Victoria's TV show, It's Me or the Dog.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Crux

How much of the training is edited out?

Post by Crux »

First let me say I love the show, but I have a question about editing.

How much work with the dogs is edited out. For example, I recall one show in which Victoria was teaching the "leave it" command and after about 30 seconds of screen time, was able to get the dog to leave a treat casually tossed on the floor. How long did that actually take in real time?

As a new dog owner, I'm having a hard time establishing realistic expectations for my dog's training progression. I'm ashamed to admit that after I saw that episode, I expected Otto to have "leave it" down in 5 or 6 reps, because the TV dog did it, and Otto's much better behaved overall. 50 or 60 reps later, he's still not completely reliable if the treat is tossed away from me. Does this suggest I'm doing something wrong? Or, through the magic of TV editing, was an hour of Victoria's work condensed down to 30 seconds?
ladybug1802

Re: How much of the training is edited out?

Post by ladybug1802 »

I have to say I have aften wondered that!! We are always told that training dogs and altering behaviour takes a lot of time, yet you watch these programmes and they seem to get the dog to dramatically change behavi9ur of learn something new in a ridicukously short amount of time! I am sure there must be a lot edited out, and of course they cant have an hour programme or so of just outting a treat down and getting the dog to leave it as it wouldnt make good tv...but it would be nice to know how long it actually took wouldnt it!
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Yes, a lot of time and things get edited out. (As with all other shows) :wink:

Whilst one can learn a lot, one should always keep in mind that stuff gets edited out. Especially the timeframe in real life will differ a lot from the show.
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Crux, I understand the expectations are high because of what you see on the TV.

For leave it or any command for that matter, move forward at a slow-ish pace, don't worry about how many reps the TV dog took. The FIRST time your dog doesn't perform the way you want/expect, back up one step or two. Say he will leave a treat lying on the floor 3 times, to move forward, don't toss it yet, rather place it on the floor a few inches away from you, repeat 3-4 times. Then place it on the floor a few more inches away, repeat 3-4 times. If after that you'd like to try tossing, then toss it, but make the distance very short, repeat 3-4 times. Then end the session and HURRAY have a party with a jackpot. Next session, place the treat a few inches away, repeat 1-2 times. Then place it a few more inches away, repeat 1-2 times -- just as a refresher. Then toss it very close by, repeat 3-4 times.... THEN toss it a little further. Just make sure you're progressing at baby steps, and every time you move forward in one way (tossing rather than placing), then go back a little (3 inches away instead of 6). Like that. Make sense?

And for stay, for example, get a stay for 1 second, then 2 seconds, then 3, etc., but stand right in front of your dog. Once you're okay on 3 seconds, take one step back, and get a stay for 1 second at that distance, then 2, then 3... then take another step back and get a stay for 1 second again, then 2, then 3.... etc etc.
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

Just my two cents....

Positively Podcast episode 103 has a lot about the IMOTD film process. You can listen here: http://positively.com/2010/07/26/positi ... isode-103/
I think it said that there is about 15 hours of footage total and about 3 hours (i'm not sure if that is per day or total) of actually training the dogs. There has to be a lot that is edited out because the show is only an hour long.
--dontpugme
BoardHost
Site Admin

Post by BoardHost »

The vast majority of material that is edited out of the show is not related to the dog training, but rather the human storylines. As those who have been on these forums have said several times, the dog training scenes are almost entirely shown 'as is.' If a certain training technique takes longer than the editors have time to show given the time restraints, then the voiceover and/or graphics tell the viewer how many minutes have passed or how many attempts later the next shot is.

So the short answer is, if you see something take about 30 seconds to take hold, that's how long it took in real life. Victoria is adamant that a true picture be presented to the viewer regarding how long (or short) training takes. There is no 'magic of TV' in the dog training shots.

Hope that helps clarify.
BoardHost
Crux

Post by Crux »

BoardHost wrote:Hope that helps clarify.
It clarifies that either me or my dog is an idiot. And since he learned how to operate a doorknob by himself, I'm pretty sure I know who the idiot is. :)