Things that can really hurt your dog

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

MaiasMom

Things that can really hurt your dog

Post by MaiasMom »

I looked around for some topic that this would fit in but did not find what I wanted so I decided to create one.

Over the years I have learned so many things and continue to find new things.

Cigarett lighters, really really bad if your dog gets one and cracks it open, The butane can kill or seriously damage your dogs health.

Pens, the hard plastic can splinter in perforate the gut.

Greenies, there have been reported death from dogs eating them, they can turn to glue in the gut.

Medications of all kinds, keep your meds locked up.

Household cleaners, my dogs can open a cabinet, I use baby locks on all lower cabinets.

Chocolate, onions, corn on the cob, cooked chicken bones, pork bones, they splinter. Plastic bowls for the dog that chews, a good ceramic or metal bowl.

No processed people food, hidden sugar, onion powder could be in it.

Don't leave your dog tied up outside, they can get the lead wrapped aroung the next and choke to death. I use to use an over head zip line when I did not have a fenced yard.

Grocery Store dog food. You don't know how the host animal was killed.

Pop Corn can swell in the gut.

Balls, balls should be larger than the dogs trake. Kong balls I found to be the best so they can't chew them apart and ingest the rubber. A to small ball can cause the dog to choke to death.

Sticks are also not a good idea, Kong throwing sticks are really nice.

Balloons, bad, bad, bad.

Post your thoughts on what you have found to be bad for your dog and share with others.
The best days are spent with my dogs.
Nettle

Re: Things that can really hurt your dog

Post by Nettle »

Anti-freeze. It's sweet, dogs will lick it up, and they die. So if anyone does car maintenance at home, make sure there are no spills, and no containers left with liquid in.

Slug pellets. Absolutely lethal, and no antidote. Don't use them at home, and be careful if you exercise in agricultural areas.

Cocoa mulch. Has the same toxic ingredient - theobromine - as chocolate. Don't use it in your garden.

Weedkiller, rodent poison and insect killer. Keep in containers and locked away. Don't leave the shed open - if it can happen, it will.

Poisonous plants in your garden. Fence them off or get rid of them.

Acorns, nuts off trees. Can choke a dog or cause a blockage in the gut. Some are cumulatively toxic and the dog will seem okay but build up the toxins until its liver fails.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Fox tails/cheat grass. They can get into all orifices (ears, windpipe, genitalia, between toes) and scratch eyeballs, causing infections as well as causing respiratory allergies in some pets. If you have a yard full of cheat grass, get rid of it the best you can. If your pets have been running through it, do a thorough inspection as best you can to remove the fox tails afterward. Besides the harm to your pets, it is a serious fire hazard in the dry southwestern states.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
MaiasMom

Post by MaiasMom »

Foxtails can really be a problem if your dog has long hair. Last summer Tre had over 100 in his feet, they migrate into the skin and cause horrible infections. I had to take him to the vet, have all the hair clipped off his feet and the foxtails removed. His poor feet looked like he had road rash. Needless to say this early spring I burned out all the plants on my property but that does not help when he goes out into other areas. You need to check your dog over everytime they go out. I make it easier by clipping his feet hair really short so I can see them.
The best days are spent with my dogs.
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

I have seen young chewing puppies die from chewing on wicker furniture, it tears up their intestines horribly, also ladies, I have seen dogs die from ingesting bra's, there was NO evidence of a crime other than the x-ray of the bra twisted and knotted in the intestines. (Amazing what they can get into) Also fishing gear, the smell is already there to tempt them, but fish hooks are a disaster. Lawn fertilizer and of course ice melt are also deadly in many cases, so be sure to check if the porduct is pet friendly or not.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Ice. Never ever ever allow your dog onto ice that isn't thick enough to support a truck. Every year dogs die from falling through ice and then getting trapped under it. Most years people die from trying to rescue them.

When you see idiots throwing sticks and balls onto ice for dogs to retrieve - walk away with your dog at heel or on the lead.

Sticks. Your dogs pick up sticks and so do mine. A dog running with a stick in its mouth can be horribly injured if it slips and the stick goes into its throat or roof of mouth. Teach your dog to come to you and swap the stick for something safe, and get into the habit of carrying soft toys or rope toys for the exchange.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
china_cat84

Post by china_cat84 »

Don't forget raisins/grapes! There have been reports of dogs, cats, and ferrets ingesting too many of them and dying as a result of kidney failure. They have too much vitamin A in them and the body can't properly digest it. The amount the animal can safely eat depends upon size, or so I've been told by my vet - but why take the chance?
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

Here is one I had forgotten I knew, Please be sure to clean the inside of kong toys thoroughly, (I use a bottle brush on ours) as bacteria can grow very quickly in a moist, warm environment. I usually rinse the boys' in a non toxic disinfectant after washing them, then in clear water. Have seen several bouts of loose stools, and vomitting, when the owner checked, the kong toy had mold growing inside of it. Also be sure food and water bowls stay clean especially during the summer.
Ben09

Post by Ben09 »

Never thought of using a bottle brush on the kong thats a great idea thanks.

Ben only just started to get interested in his Kong yesterday. He could never be bothered trying to get his treats out. But yesterday i just put peanut butter inside it and he spent the whole evening working with it. It was much easier for him to the it out first and kept him interested. I was delighted. Think i made it too hard for him to start with and now ill just work his way up to the harder stuff.
Jessirue

Post by Jessirue »

Iced water can cause your dog to bloat apparently. See topic 'Frozen Treats' for more info.
The mints Tic Tacs and any food containing zylitol (could be xylitol) often found in sugar free stuff is poisenous to dogs.
The key is not forced control over the dog but .....the dog learning control of self
DogzRule1996

Post by DogzRule1996 »

I honestly don't think iced water can cause a dog to bloat. I mean, if you could freeze up some leftover unsalted soup for a dog and give it to them as a nice frozen summer treat, then why not iced water? :?
(¯`'•.¸(¸.•'´ ¯)
♫♪(¯` ¸(¯`'•.¸**¸.•'´¯)¸.• ¯)♫♪
(¯`'•. --=-_Stop Animal Cruelty Now!_-=-- `'• .¸_)
(_¸-_(_¸.•'´*♫♪♫♪*`'•.¸_)`'• .¸_)
(._¸.•'´`'• .Â.=-¸_)
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

I think i heard somewhere that if your dog gets overheated, you should place them in a tub of cool not ice water because the ice water can restrict blood flow.
--dontpugme
DogzRule1996

Post by DogzRule1996 »

I think Jessirue meant drinking iced water not placing them IN ice water...?
(¯`'•.¸(¸.•'´ ¯)
(._¸.•'´`'• .Â.=-¸_)
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

DogzRule1996 wrote:I think Jessirue meant drinking iced water not placing them IN ice water...?
I know, i was just wondering if placing your dog in ice water if it is overheated is dangerous.
--dontpugme
DogzRule1996

Post by DogzRule1996 »

OH, sorry. Misunderstanding. I thought you were just simply supposed to get cold wet towels and lay them on your dog and then move the dog out of the heated area, and if possible put in a shallow tub of cold water.
(¯`'•.¸(¸.•'´ ¯)
(._¸.•'´`'• .Â.=-¸_)