Confused....

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

GllntKnight

Confused....

Post by GllntKnight »

Victoria seems to use different commands for the same issue soI don't which one to use on my dogs, I think it best to continue using what I originally started to use as they seem to work.

She uses leave it & no touch/ and stop and enough for barking
The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue. ~Author Unknown

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. ~Gilda Radner
forkin14

Re: Confused....

Post by forkin14 »

It could be a reason due to what the owners have used before. They could have been saying "stop" when the dog was barking, making it ineffective, so she uses "quiet" instead.

But as for training purposes, I can't remember why, but she did explain once the difference between "no touch" and "leave it" I think.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

You could use nonsense words, like polka-dots, zipper, pookynessa, and doorbell, and they would work, as long as you use the same word for the same behavior, consistently, and make the needed connection between the word and the behavior. It really doesn't matter to your dog. As far as Victoria using different words on different episodes, that could very well be because the word she is using is more comfortable and easier for the family to remember consistently. Or because they've already "worn out" the other word. But whichever words she chooses on different shows, she is still consistent with the particular dog on that particular episode. :) Does that make sense?
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
GllntKnight

Post by GllntKnight »

As my poor babies had to be kennel confined for a week to ten days and not have full use of out 4+ acres because of a glitch in the invisible fence which is again working I've had to stick my head out the door several times to say enough to their barking and it works. There are people that feel their dog understands different languages but as you say you can use any word or language it is your tone of voice that conveys the message and don't over use the wod as it will become ineffective like most , as an example would be continualy saying stop stop stop stop if someone said that to you would you listen or just tune them out? So you are corecct you can use any word as long as it works.

That is why my ***** who still has no recall I will call once if she doesn't come I shut the door and try again in an hour or so eventually when she is ready she does come.

I'm sure they wouldn't have left the property when the fence was down just not taking any chances, the control box gives a very loud beeping to let us know it isn't working It may have been beeping for a day or two but we don't hear it as it is in the barn but I went to get something one day and heard it so in the kennel they went until we could get the parts to repair it.
The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue. ~Author Unknown

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. ~Gilda Radner
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

GllntKnight, please will you stop talking about your electic fence as if it is recommended on her, it isn't and it is against board rules to recomment them. It is a possibilty that this fence is the reason why your dog won't come back when called, he may have had a shock from it when he went to come back. I am not saying this is the reason, just that it could be.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

You have already pointed out to us taht one of your dogs is aggressive IF he is wearing the collar, on that occasion I reminded you that these fences are an awful idea, and that you are highly unlikely to stop your dog from biting people he comes across at the front of your property until you stop using this fence there.

Please stop using the fence and if you cant, do stop posting about it as if it is a recommendation (hardly though since when it ISNT working you still dont know until you happen to go into the barn... totally reliable then, what if hed bitten someone, or gone on the road?).
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
GllntKnight

Post by GllntKnight »

I AM NOT RECOMMENDING THE ELECTRIC FENCE! THE FENCE CHOICE IS COMPLETELY UP TOTHEINDIVIDUAL.

IT WORKS for me and I WILL continue using it as I know that other fences are out of my price range including labor intensive, I am on a fixed income that does not even cover the utilitys etc my husband has to make up the difference. We need a new roof for the barn cost $10,000, which we don't have and the barn is slowly going to collapse, my husband HAD to get a new car and I know other fencing will not work with Jacks so I don't need everyone telling me to change my fencing.

TOPIC CLOSED!

Mattie

Post by Mattie »

The topic will only be closed when you stop recommending them which you are doing by the way you are writing about them. You are extremely rude by the way you talk to the members on here just because you don't like what is being said.

The chances of your dog being the way he is because of the fence is high, you are not the only person on limited income, try living on the OAP that our government give. I had to sell my house so I could keep myself warm and fed, you seem to be able to do that without selling your house.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

GllntKnight - your E-fence may well keep your dogs in, but it IS the root cause of the aggression, which is liable to get your dog destroyed one day if he bites someone who takes legal action.

On those grounds alone you cannot claim that it 'works' because it has created a potentially worse problem than was there initially, and that problem is NOT one that a solid, rigid fence would have caused.

You quite obviously CAN fence Jack Russel Terriers in with the appropriate fencing - limited income may mean it takes time to save up, sacrifices to be made elsewhere but it CAN be done.

You are not doing it because you do not WANT to do it.

I am on a limited income, I would be willing to bet my personal monthly income is lower than yours, as I earn under $500 a month. Yet I still manage to do the things I need to do with that, and save up, barter, find wqays round it if I cannot afford something.

I dont think there is a SINGLE poster on these forums who has an unlimited, bottomless pot of money, (unless any secret millionaires would like to announce themselves!) so do please stop using that as an excuse as to why you cannot train your dogs, positively, without using pain and fear.
thepennywhistle

Post by thepennywhistle »

I fenced in my JRT with privacy fencing in one home, and basic livestock wire in
another. Had be vigilant in fence checking for holes she'd dig with the privacy
fence, but with the livestock wire we just buried the lower edge a few inches.
It was labor intensive, but very, very effective, and not all that expensive if you
build it yourself with metal T-posts.

Mine could run 28 mph too, or at least she did the day I clocked her in the car.
She was bounding through the woods, and I was paralleling her on the dirt
road in the car just praying not to lose sight of her. It turns out she was bred
for racing, and she was one crazy dog.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Its not even as if anyone is suggesting you securely fence the entire of your property.

Just fence off a small area front and back so that you do not need to use a leash to take your dogs out to potty, and so that delivery people can come to your door without risk of being bitten, or having to phone you first.

JUST doing that, and working on your dogs issues with strangers coming up tot he house or going past (because with a solid fence you wouldnt need the e-fence and so he would not need the collar which he currently believes is linked to visitors and him getting a shock) would make a MASSIVE improvement to your dogs stress levels, their quality of life and ... your stress levels and your quality of life.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Very few dogs have 4 acres to run in all day and they do really well, dogs don't need that, in fact I wouldn't leave my dogs with so much room on their own, they can still get bored and get up to mischief. Barking at people is great fun for a dog, especially if they show fear, I had a dog that this was the best game ever, if the person spoke to her and didn't show fear she was really disappointed. :lol:

It is all about what you are willing to put into your dogs, you don't have the bond with your dogs that others have on here, this is because they interact with there dogs more, they say what exercise they get and interact with them while they are exercising, they incorporate training into the exercise to keep their dogs interested. I could go on and on about this but won't.

It is your choice to have your dogs, it is up to you to make sure that all your dogs needs are met, at the moment they are not or he wouldn't be like this. All that is coming through from your posts, and I am probably wrong, is you are putting more onto him winning races than in his care and meeting his needs.
GllntKnight

Post by GllntKnight »

You hit the nail right on the head IT IS MY CHOICE. And your talking about the wrong dog can't you even get that right? Wilbur is the champion racer he is not the problem Shiloh is! Whatever I do is my choice and I am doing everything in my power to train her but she just won't listen. So she will end up just like Milo some day.

Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Glint Knight, forgive my impudence, but I need to refer you to a really great website that may help to improve your outlook on life. It is at www.butterbeehappy.com It is completely free to join, and it is based upon research showing that people who take the time to jot down just five things each day that they are thankful for, or that can be considered a "happy thought," really ARE happier! From most of your recent posts, I am beginning to see a very pessimistic, grumpy, depressed person. I know life is not easy for you-- believe it or not, a lot of us here are in much the same boat!-- But you are starting to drag everyone else down into the depths of your despair. You desperately need a lift. Please check out that website, and start making note of five "happy thoughts" each day. It'll do you good, I promise! :D
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Wicket

Post by Wicket »

GllntKnight wrote:You hit the nail right on the head IT IS MY CHOICE. And your talking about the wrong dog can't you even get that right? Wilbur is the champion racer he is not the problem Shiloh is! Whatever I do is my choice and I am doing everything in my power to train her but she just won't listen. So she will end up just like Milo some day.
What happened to Milo? Why do you think that Shiloh won't listen?