Clicker Question

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

***Melissa***

Clicker Question

Post by ***Melissa*** »

I started clicker train my two yesterday...when I say clicker train I mean clicking & treating, they have not grasped that click means treat yet.

I did have a read through the clicker training threads, so will be starting to really clicker train them soon.

I just want to know:
We live in a 2 bedroom apartment with a small backyard. It is mostly open plan, and the walls aren't very thick which means you can easily hear (even with closed doors) what's going on in the other room.

I understand that it's important to NEVER let doggie hear a click that's not followed by a treat.

So, how do I train one doggie in one room (or even outside) without the other hearing the clicker? (The other will then think he is doing something right as well at first, but later the clicker will not be effective anymore as well). Our apartment's 'design' is as such that even when you're outside you can hear what's going on on the inside and vice versa (due to huge windows everywhere).

I have tried turning the TV or radio on in the one room and have hubby stand there and listen when I click in various areas (and outside) but you can still hear the clicker. (And if he can that means my doggies will hear it even better)

OH said we must get a different clicker for every doggie, but I know myself, and I'd get really confused and click with the wrong clicker for the wrong one, etc :lol:

Apart from that, Bibi does this very cute 'standing on 2 feet' so I was thinking of putting a cue to it once she's grasping the clicker, but for that I will have to wait untill she does it, then click...which means Striker will be around when that does happen.

Any ideas on what else I can try?
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
Leigha

Re: Clicker Question

Post by Leigha »

I take Bruiser outside when I'm training him, or I put the weenies outside and Bruiser and I stay inside. I keep mine completely separate while we're working, but that's actually mostly because Bruiser's a bit grumpy when the weenies are out and there are treats in the vicinity.
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

I would say if you can get two different sounding clickers, then do it - and label them so you don't confuse them.
Christie

Post by Christie »

***Melissa*** wrote:I started clicker train my two yesterday...when I say clicker train I mean clicking & treating, they have not grasped that click means treat yet.

I did have a read through the clicker training threads, so will be starting to really clicker train them soon.

I just want to know:
We live in a 2 bedroom apartment with a small backyard. It is mostly open plan, and the walls aren't very thick which means you can easily hear (even with closed doors) what's going on in the other room.

I understand that it's important to NEVER let doggie hear a click that's not followed by a treat.

So, how do I train one doggie in one room (or even outside) without the other hearing the clicker? (The other will then think he is doing something right as well at first, but later the clicker will not be effective anymore as well). Our apartment's 'design' is as such that even when you're outside you can hear what's going on on the inside and vice versa (due to huge windows everywhere).

I have tried turning the TV or radio on in the one room and have hubby stand there and listen when I click in various areas (and outside) but you can still hear the clicker. (And if he can that means my doggies will hear it even better)

OH said we must get a different clicker for every doggie, but I know myself, and I'd get really confused and click with the wrong clicker for the wrong one, etc :lol:

Apart from that, Bibi does this very cute 'standing on 2 feet' so I was thinking of putting a cue to it once she's grasping the clicker, but for that I will have to wait untill she does it, then click...which means Striker will be around when that does happen.

Any ideas on what else I can try?
Here Is how I introduced my dogs to Cliker training I click & then give them treats it only take 3 minutes
Christie

I have My Own Clicker Question

Post by Christie »

What are signs to tell me when my dogs are ready to be winged off the treats & still use the clicker? :?:
Christie

Re: I have My Own Clicker Question

Post by Christie »

Christie wrote:What are signs to tell me when my dogs are ready to be winged off the treats & still use the clicker? :?:
I like that 2 different sounding Clickers I have one that sounds lounder then the other :D
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

You never just use the clicker without the treats. Click ALWAYS means the dog gets a treat.

What you do, is wean them off the clicker, so you use the clicker to teach the behaviour, get the behaviour rock solid and proofed in a variety of locations so the dog has generalised that the command means the same thing no matter where, and no matter waht level of distraction.

Then you dont need to use the clicker, you can just praise or fuss or treat or whatever your dog likes, and at the frequency your dog needs.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Christie

Re: I have My Own Clicker Question

Post by Christie »

Christie wrote:
Christie wrote:What are signs to tell me when my dogs are ready to be winged off the treats & still use the clicker? :?:
I like that 2 different sounding Clickers I have one that sounds lounder then the other :D
Thanks That can be a challenge since I don't drive
. :D