What is exercise?

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Fundog

Re: What is exercise?

Post by Fundog »

Mattie wrote:Bricks, clean tins like baked beans, etc make good places to rest wood onto, broom handles can be placed on top of the bricks, tins etc for the dog to jump over. If you want to buy something drain pipes are light, easy to handle and won't hurt the dog if they knock them down.

If you get stuck, ask a horse mad girl to put jumps up for you with what you have, they will be up very quickly. :lol:

:idea: (sharp intake of breath) empty soup/vegetable cans! Ooooooh! :idea: :idea: :idea: (Oh, my family may just get into recycling yet!) :D
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Ushi

Post by Ushi »

This is a really interesting topic- we currently cannot let our dogs in the yard unsupervised as it is not secure enough, so they are living in the horse barn while we are at work (no horses in there when they are in there !) We used to be able to walk them after work at our old house - as there were street lights - but we have moved out of town, and there are no street lights for miles !!

We just finished the yard fence last Sunday- so we can now let them run and play in the quite large yard area when we get home from work for about 30 -40 minutes (they get bored after this and look to come inside) They start of by running flat out and chasing each other- then start sniffing around and checking everything out, then wrestle a little with each other for the sake of it. I will usually after they are a bit more tired do a small amount of training with each of them, just basic sit, drop, spin, chase me, recall etc.. and by the they usually say "hey, dinner time !!" and want to go inside byt that time. They dont chase balls or want to play with any toys - which I wish they would - as I feel that just running about for 20 minutes is not enough and I would like to play with them more. usually after there dinner they just fall asleep content all eveninig until early the next morning - so I am starting to think I might need to brave the frosts and do something in the morning with them before work.

I dont feel they are getting enough exercise right now, as they are waking up before dawn every morning and get a little "crazy" running around and play fighting - making it impossible to sleep !! -They are pretty demanding wanting us to get up with them. Its too dark for us to walk the dogs out at the moment (its winter here in Aus, our sun rise is about 7.15am and sun set at about 5pm, we both work full time, so the dogs only get walks out on the weekends since our move (a month ago) So i am on a mission to work out some new things to do with them. They are not an overly active breed (Shar Pei) but not having the run of a yard all day like they were used to it is starting to become obvious we need to work out some new things to do !

I have also been thinking about taking them each seperately (we have issues when they are together with other dogs) to the beach, bush walks or dog park - we used to go every weekend before getting the second dog, then for a while they were fine together - but we had to stop when the new guy got a bit older and they started to bully other dogs, there was never any biting incidents, but I was not going to push my luck, together they bark and intimidate other dogs, and that was enough warning for me to know not to leave them off leash with other dogs while they had there pack mentality attitude on.

After reading this post- i am also thinking about setting up some games at home in the yard - any ideas what sort of games you can do that dont involve chasing balls or tuging toys ? - my dogs are not fussed by either style game !
GllntKnight

Post by GllntKnight »

I have 4+ acres and plenty of prey for them to chase well into the night when I bring them in but first thing in the morning after breakfast they are out no matter the weather they do come in for supper then out again also have lure course and agility course and treadmill being disabled my self and not able to do walks I think they have all the exercise they need and then some . Wilbur winning the Championship at racing on the flat and hurdles at the trials proves he is fit.

Okay I've had it with trying to adjust my pictures to fit your constraints...I just tried to attach a photo that is exactly 256 kb and you tell me it is too big, give me a break

I've ruined many pictures just trying to do this, pictures that are irreplaceable
The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue. ~Author Unknown

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. ~Gilda Radner
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

I can't get my pictures to work either, I have done everything but stand on my head and spit snowballs, so I just figure I have imaginary pets :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

I put my photos on http://www.photobucket.com, you can keep them there free, you then copy the IMG code into your post and the picture appears.

This is what I normally put into a post, I have put not put in the end of the addy, it should have [/img] on the end to produce the picture.

[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

Awwww she's cute too. I have photobucket too, and it keeps telling me it is an "unauthorized image". I tell it "bite me" and oh well :lol: :lol:
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

My photo is an "unauthorized image", it shouldn't be.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

No, no, sorry Mattie, I meant when I transfer my image code of the pictures I have of the boys in photo bucket, it tells me it is an unauthorized image code and wont transfer, that's why no one on this forum gets to see pictures of my boys. Not for lack of trying :lol:
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

GllntKnight wrote:
Okay I've had it with trying to adjust my pictures to fit your constraints...I just tried to attach a photo that is exactly 256 kb and you tell me it is too big, give me a break

I've ruined many pictures just trying to do this, pictures that are irreplaceable
You know, you could always copy a photo or save it as a different file name if they're really irreplaceable.

No one is doing it on inconvenience you. Some of us can't keep up with technology. No need to be rude about it.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Underneath each picture you should see

Email & IM
Direct Link
HTML Code
IMG Code

With a box next to them that has an addy in, the one you need to copy to put into a thread is IMG Code .

For those that don't know about photobucket to copy the address highlight it, then do Control C, go to the post you want to put it in then do Control V, the addy for the photo should come into the reply. Check by clicking on preview and the photo should be there.

Hope you can understand that.Image