Not Food Motivated

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

smileygreenup4

Not Food Motivated

Post by smileygreenup4 »

Hi All!

I recently rescued a chow/ ? mix and are having some trouble with the training. My biggest problem is that she isn't motivated by food. By food I mean; treats, dog food, hot dogs (she actually spit out the hot dog), people food, ect. I know that praise is one thing that works really well, but praise alone isn't covering all of the basis! What do we do? :?:

All the background that we have is what we have observed. She isn't a big male person, and flinches when they come at her. So we are assuming that she has been abused by a man. She won't eat anything from anyone's hand. How can we motivate her in a way that is positive and doesn't make her even more jumpy than she is now?

All suggestions are welcome! Thank You!
forkin14

Re: Not Food Motivated

Post by forkin14 »

Any toys that she has that get her excited? Like squeaky toys or even something as simple as a tennis ball? If so, you can use one of those. Find a toy or two that she only gets when training so she doesn't become bored with them. Have you tried peanut butter with her, because you can always put some on a spoon and have her lick it off as a reward
smileygreenup4 wrote:She won't eat anything from anyone's hand. How can we motivate her in a way that is positive and doesn't make her even more jumpy than she is now?
I remember Victoria using hand targeting for dogs that were nervous about eating out of another persons hand. But if she isn't food motivated, why is this necessary that she eats from someone's hand? Don't take that in a rude way, but if it isn't necessary for her to do it and it makes her nervous than for now I wouldn't try and get her to do it.

Is she jumpy when people try and pet her or come near her ?
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

How recent is "recently"?

She could be stressed if she's brand new.

What are you trying to train? Basic obedience? Desensitization to things she fears such as men?

If obedience commands, try tossing the treats instead of feeding by hand.

If desensitization, she may be too stressed to accept food.

When do you train - before meals, after meals, or instead of meals?

A hungry dog is easier to train.

After all the above is considered, then the answer could be to use toys. Rewards that work are what the dog finds rewarding, so praise may be enough for your dog.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

When are you offering food treats - it is possible she does like food but shes too stressed to take it, so test out treats at home in a relaxed situation wher eyou are not asking her to DO anything for that reward, just giving it for free. See what she would really like more of!

Sometimes a dog needs something they can lick rather than chew so try cheese spread (the kind in a squeezy tube) meat paste or babyfood jars as well as soft treats.

If she really doesnt like such things even when relaxed and chilled out, then think about the ways you can praise her, toys (it is possible to get a dog hooked on a certain toy that is only used for training rewards) etc.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Emotions

Post by Emotions »

As Emmabeth said start in a calm and comfortable environment. How is she at eating food from her bowl ?

Try throwing treats so she has to chase them and or catch them. Don't ask for any commands/cues yet just play it as a game. Throw them or flick them across the floor.

Is she had a drive to chase this will make the food more fun, also is she has any anxiety issues, the emotions in play are more incompatible with fear and anxiety and can help to break away at any negative emotions better than just giving treats.

If this works then try introducing clicker training but keep making the food fun! One of my dogs is not food motivated but enjoys clicker training because she likes problem solving, the food is just a part of the feedback.

Jane
Christie

Post by Christie »

Emotions wrote:As Emmabeth said start in a calm and comfortable environment. How is she at eating food from her bowl ?

Try throwing treats so she has to chase them and or catch them. Don't ask for any commands/cues yet just play it as a game. Throw them or flick them across the floor.

Is she had a drive to chase this will make the food more fun, also is she has any anxiety issues, the emotions in play are more incompatible with fear and anxiety and can help to break away at any negative emotions better than just giving treats.

If this works then try introducing clicker training but keep making the food fun! One of my dogs is not food motivated but enjoys clicker training because she likes problem solving, the food is just a part of the feedback.

Jane
In I like the Clicker training method I had that problem with my Cocker spaniel that is no longer with me He would eat food at home but not at Petsmart when I was training him & a trainer said the mellier the food the better