What will get the smell of pee out of the carpet?

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

SarahLou

What will get the smell of pee out of the carpet?

Post by SarahLou »

I've tried several products, following the instructions carefully and thoroughly, but none seem to get the smell of pee 100% out of the carpet - help!
emmabeth

Re: What will get the smell of pee out of the carpet?

Post by emmabeth »

If it is a lot of pee.... honestly.. nothing.

If it isnt a lot of pee, then repeatedly rinsing and drying the area MAY work, as may using something that draws out liquid, such as bicarb of soda or even salt... (so you wash the stain, dab dry, pour on the powder/salt, leave to dry, vacuum off).

When urine dries, it leaves behind crystals in the carpet fibre which attract water - so wee stains in carpet tend to always be a bit damp from the moisture in the air.. which means that they always pong a bit.

Carpet is just not designed to be washable to the degree required to get urine out, if its soaked through the underlay and into the floor below then you have pretty much no chance at all and really you need a new carpet or better yet... a waterproof flooring like lino or tiles.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
SarahLou

Post by SarahLou »

But what if I can't replace it? (I rent an apartment) :shock:
Don't I need to get all the scent out so my pup won't re-offend anymore?
Gemmie

Post by Gemmie »

I just recently bought a Bissell ProHeat 2X® Steam Cleaner as we have an 8 month old Boxer that still has accidents.. With the steam cleaner I used Bissell 2X Pet Stain & Odor Formula.. For the smaller areas where she still has some tiny accidents I have used Bissell Pet Stain & Odor Remover - Spray, I'm very sensitive to smells (not like an animal though :wink: ) and I have been unable to smell the urine since using these products. I have also noticed when she has another "accident" it's not in the area I have cleaned, it will be in a new area..

Hope this helps :D
♥ Dogs Are Gods Angels Sent Here To Look After Us ♥
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Professional style carpet cleaning gizmos may be the answer (and from what I can figure out from various forums discussing the ole 'pee in carpet' issue.. Bissel seem to make the best ones!)..

As for rented apartments.. mmm keep cleaning.. or ask your landlord if you can replace the carpet with something else. Its in their interests to say yes really because if it smells of pee when you move out, though they will take your deposit, they still have to get a replacement put in..

That said I know some landlords can be very strange!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

When I moved into this house the carpets smelt of cat pee which 2 of my dogs peed over them, not wanting to change the carpets until I decorate I used a steam cleaner on them, my dogs no longer pee there and I can't smell any either. May be worth a try with a steam cleaner. I have found the small hand held steam cleaners better than those for the floors.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
dixie's mom

Post by dixie's mom »

anything with enzymes will work in a spray bottle also , i have same issue ! going to have to replace carpet and not sure what to put back down ! have you tried some pee pads ? just lay a couple down at night !
emily728

Post by emily728 »

Vinegar! Vinegar works miracles.

"Clean up pet accidents by first blotting up the area and then adding a white distilled vinegar-and-water solution. Blot until it is almost dry. Then sprinkle baking soda over the area and let it dry. Vacuum up the residue the next day."

http://www.vinegartips.com/scripts/pageViewSec.asp?id=7

It sounds weird but I promise, vinegar works. And your house won't smell like vinegar.
jgckg

Post by jgckg »

SarahLou wrote:I've tried several products, following the instructions carefully and thoroughly, but none seem to get the smell of pee 100% out of the carpet - help!
You need to us an enzymatic cleaner like Nature’s Miracle. (Victoria has mentioned this many times.)
Understanding a little about the behavior and physiological capabilities of your pet helps in understanding why enzymatic cleaners are so useful for removing pet stains. Dogs and cats have a much more highly developed sense of smell than humans do and can detect odors that we cannot smell. We think the carpet is clean because the odor and stains are gone--and then the dog/cat returns and pees on the same spot.
There are two behaviors stimulated by pet odors remaining in the carpet dogs/cats both perform territorial "marking" with urine and, being creatures of habit, they tend to revisit spots they've used before. They can detect the very slightest aroma remaining in the carpet, which prompts them to "re-pee" in that spot. Your pet's extraordinary sense of smell, combined with behavioral programming, can make managing pet stains a big problem. Enzymatic cleaners are organic compounds containing microscopic enzymes that destroy bacteria that cause pet stain odors. Thorough destruction of the bacteria is the only way to eliminate odors so that your pets can't smell where they've (literally) pee’d before. If pet stains are a persistent problem, you'll need to use a professional carpet cleaning machine that can apply the enzyme cleaner to the carpet and then suction it out sufficiently to prevent moisture accumulations beneath the carpet. Follow the product directions carefully.
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

The enzymes also destroy the pheromone in the urine stain. This is something I personally have never smelled, our noses can't, but while vinegar may rid the urine smell, it will not destroy the pheromones. Also because my husband owns a carpet store, I can tell you a lot of times people clean the carpet, but if the urine is still in the pad underneath, or the sub floor, they are chasing their tails :lol: (pun intended) you need to be sure the pad and floor are also cleaned with the enzyme cleaner.
Simba

Post by Simba »

Assuming the pee has not saturated the padding underneath, I have used Odormute, for over fifteen years with excellent results. Originally, I was told by a local police that they use this product to remove the blood from cement at crime scenes. It is natural enzyme product and totally safe as far as I can tell and I am a fanatic about natural products. You will still need to use a cleaner on the carpet; nonetheless, the odor should be gone.

In the event that the pee has saturated into the padding you will have to replace the padding (fairly inexpensive to do) in order to remove the urine smell.

Good luck. I hope that helps. I always keep a box of Odormute in my cabinet for just such a purpose. You can find it on line on Amazon, I believe.
My Best Buddy...
nanlyn100

Post by nanlyn100 »

I have been told by an animal behaviorist about this product for ridding your carpet from pee odors and poop odors. The product is called Anti Icky Poo (lol). It is organic and environmentally safe to remove odors. It is avaible at some pet stores or online.
Hope this info is helpful.

Here is a website where you can go to get more info. They also offer a free product sample (plus S&H). I'm waiting for my sample to arrive to see if it is as good as I have been told.

http://www.shop.sell4less4u.com/searchq ... ree+sample.
wendigauthier

Post by wendigauthier »

http://www.adcoprocleaning.com/product. ... t=0&page=1

I work for a carpet cleaning company and we use a product called Skunk Out by Adco Pro Cleaning. It doesn't take much and it works very well. The product contains active enzymes that break down the ammonia in the urine.

Good luck.
bulldozer

Post by bulldozer »

Biological washing powder breaks down the enzymes in pee :wink:
abbyneo

Post by abbyneo »

We have an apartment also and I've wondered about what they're going to do with this carpet when we move out, because our pet deposit is too small to be enough to replace all the carpet... :oops: BUT we do use baking soda/vinegar mixture on it to clean then vinegar sprayed on top out of a spray bottle. Seems to work well, and she doesn't go to the same spots every time, it seems pretty random.