Kennel vs Free Roam for SA?

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

DeeDeesMom

Kennel vs Free Roam for SA?

Post by DeeDeesMom »

I am posting this topic here bc I do see the Kennel as a training tool... so hopefully this is a good place to post.

For those who know Dee Dee- she has SA whenever we leave. The Hubby and I both work full time- but at different hours, so we check up on the dog anywhere between 2-4 hours after the other leaves.

The first time we let her have free roam, she tore up the blinds and such. We know this was out of boredom.
We DID NOT HAVE Kongs, Canine Genius or a TUFF TOY.
I am not sure if she was barking in that time.

When ever we put her IN THE KENNEL - she barks her head off- for maybe an hour... and preoccupies herself by destroying her bed, Tuff toys, or with the associated Kongs, Canine Genius that we rotate for her.

My Q is- she seems very calm- up to the moment we stick her in the kennel... and I put her in the Kennel 5 min before I leave.... I am jingling my keys and everything BEFORE leaving too.. to help desensitize her.
Could it just be that she doesn't like the space and is acting out?
Now that we have toys to occupy her, would free roam help ease her anxiety? (with lunch visits of course)

I met someone last night with a 4 month old German Shep and she mentioned that her pup has 'gotten over it' within the 1st 2 weeks- but I believe she let him have free roam. We didn't discuss too much about toys and such-- but those are just my thoughts on my pup.

Any thoughts or experience would be greatly appreciated.
emmabeth

Re: Kennel vs Free Roam for SA?

Post by emmabeth »

Have you trained puppy to see the crate as somewhere nice to go - or does she just go in there when you are out and has gone from not using a crate, to spending several hous in one?

Can you shut her into just a couple of rooms so she cant see out of a front window that has a view of the street/people going by etc - as this could also be a reason for her ripping the blinds down yelling at whatever is out there.

If you can, OR if you can cover the window with frosted window film (only needs to be to just above the height she can reach to see out) then have a go at leaving her loose rather than in the crate, with lots of toys and hide as much of the rest of your stuff as you can.

Somedogs prefer being loose, and some prefer having no options left to them but to be in the crat,e eat a toy or sleep.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
DeeDeesMom

Post by DeeDeesMom »

Since we only had for a short time, we were crating her when we left- not the best thing to do I know... but we just wanted her to be safe while we're gone, and so we both can have time to adjust to each other.

Normally she cries and whines within the 1st 2 min of us putting her in the crate and walking out the door. Barking commences by 5 mins.
This morning, I decided to see what she would do out of the crate. After I locked the door I waited for 5 min. Not a sound.

SO-- So far so good. The Hubby will be checking up on her in soon. I will update then :)
DeeDeesMom

Post by DeeDeesMom »

UGG.. I went home and she was HOWLING. I dunno how long she was....
She was in the blinds but didn't tear them up.. so that's good. there were no accidents- good there too.

When I walked her briefly, all she wanted to do was lay in the grass (sigh) :|

She didnt play with her toys that i threw in the kennel- so she didnt seem them or whatever.
SO-- I put the toys where she can get at them. I also turned on the radio.
we'll see if we have better luck at the next check in.
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

Can you baby gate the kitchen or hallway or other small room? Its neither the whole house or the crate--but may be a happy medium if you can do it. Also give dog a raw meaty bone since she isn't interested in toys. Or if you give her a huge stuffed Frozen KONG make sure she is hungry & that she is walked before you leave. Also give her a pice of your worn clothing (like an old tshirt) for her to lay on in her bed. This may comfort her. When you have days off practice going to work but come back 5 mts later. It takes time but she will get there GOOD Luck!
DeeDeesMom

Post by DeeDeesMom »

well-- free roam didn't work again.

I don't know what happened or when-- but the Hubby couldn't go home at lunch, and he got home- at 4:15ish.
Blinds torn again.

No accidents in the house... but barking and howling I guess was already rampent.
She calms down in the cage... and I guess, you gotta do things twice to get the mesg that its not happening.
I don't think I'll let her free roam again until she's over this.

I ordered the DAP collar yesterday & it should be arriving some time next week. I hope it helps.
Because things need to start happening soon...

So distraught-- :(
LmJanes

Post by LmJanes »

What is a DAP collar?
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

Dog Appeasing Pheremone Collar. Same stuff in a dap diffuser, but it's on a collar the dog wears (the collars look just like a flea collar).