Silent whistles vs "school yard" types

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

4theluvofdogs

Silent whistles vs "school yard" types

Post by 4theluvofdogs »

Hello all!
I am new to this forum and was looking for some feedback. I have used "old school" whistles for recall, but am curious if anyone has had experience with the "silent" dog whistles. I have done some research on the hunting dog websites so I understand the concept. I currently have a client who has a very ill family member. I need to bring peace to the home, not more noise and disruption, so I was consdidering the silent whistle for them. They have a decennt sized property and have trouble at times with all seven dogs (yes 7!) barking at the back fence, so I want to train all 7 dogs recall with the silent whistle.

Has anyone had pros cons vs the two types? I am looking for a good quality, but not $$ since I am buying a few.
thank you!
Nettle

Re: Silent whistles vs "school yard" types

Post by Nettle »

I used to use a silent whistle. I could actually hear it, but then in those days I could hear bats squeaking as well. Funny how bats have become silent over the years :mrgreen:

I used to get all sorts of dogs as well as mine coming in to it. :lol:

They don't cost a vast amount - why not try one and see how you get on?
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Scuttlebutt

Re: Silent whistles vs "school yard" types

Post by Scuttlebutt »

I've used both types and did have very good results with the silent whistle; it even worked for a while when one of my dogs was starting to go deaf. Though I did have a dog that was very inconsistent at long-range recalls and I couldn't figure out if it was him being cheeky or there was a problem with the whistle - I gave up using the silent type with him so at least I knew when I was being ignored!
I am not lost, I'm merely temporarily geographically inconvenienced.