Dog eating cat poop

Discussion of specific It's Me or the Dog episodes.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

rdoyle

Dog eating cat poop

Post by rdoyle »

I know there was a episode that thouch on this, but I dont know what one. I need to know becouse my puggle is eating my cats poop and I know this is not good for her to eat. I need to know what should I do to stop her from eating it.
rdoyle

Re: Dog eating cat poop

Post by rdoyle »

I did a little more digging into this online. They only I think of is becouse she was underweight when I got her. The other owners feed her but I dont think that she cant eat hard dog food becouse of her underbit. I have tryed many foods on her they only one that she will eat is Might Dog Can Food I know it is not the best, but is it the only one that does not make her sick or she would eat. She does not eat her own or other dogs or any that is around the apartment place where I live at. It is not only the poop it is also the pee. There was a cat box that was used on the show I wanted to know what it was. Image
Doglover42

Post by Doglover42 »

I think I know which episode you're talking about!
the uk ep with the chocolate lab Teo eats this own feces:
http://animal.discovery.com/videos/its- ... g-teo.html

:)
Doglover42

Post by Doglover42 »

:lol: I meant his* not this sorry
Momto2ShihTzus

Post by Momto2ShihTzus »

rdoyle wrote:I know there was a episode that thouch on this, but I dont know what one. I need to know becouse my puggle is eating my cats poop and I know this is not good for her to eat. I need to know what should I do to stop her from eating it.
Having owned dogs and cats at the same time for many years, I have come to the conclusion that cat poop is an hors de overs (or however you spell it) to dogs. They LOVE it for some reason. My solution was to put a baby gate across the doorway to the room where the cat boxes were located. This lets the cats use their boxes while keeping the dogs out.
A puppy is the only love that money can buy
Trixie Koontz
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

There was one with a doberman and rat terrier that ate the cat poop. It's rather new. I forgot the title. The dogs' names were Cookie and Daisy. I think there was a live chat about it.
--dontpugme
sj96skittles

Post by sj96skittles »

Ya! That's the episode I was thinking of too! It was called nervous newlyweds. Victoria got them like a cat tunnel thingy. It was a different type of litterbox. There's a little door where the cats go up stairs, turn a corner, then they do their buisness
Last edited by sj96skittles on Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
footsieb

Post by footsieb »

Every dog we have ever had, had/has a passion for Kitty Krunchies! Cruuently, our 6 mo. old pug has been at it since she discovered that they taste yummy. Right after she has dinner, mid day, any time that she is home and not in her crate!

Our 6 year old lab has even snuck out of her bed at night (she bumped my hand that was dangling over the edge of the bed) to get to them. We now have her gated in to her sleeping area. I would love to use a baby gate, but our oldest cat can't jump high enough to get over one and any other method, our pug can defeat easily as she is about the same size as our younger cat.

So, it's just try to catch them and blow a whistle when they stick their noses in the pan. The whistle startles them, kind of like the yelp sound one uses when the puppy plays too hard.
Dakine'smama

Post by Dakine'smama »

My GSD puppy has tried to do this too---so gross! There was an episode where Victoria put little flags in the poo and it made the dogs go the other direction. For me the problem is that it's my neighbor's cat who poos outside so it's not really an option--I just try to keep him out of that area of the yard. I think the advice of covering the litterbox or making it hard to get to for a dog is good. You might check out ikeahacker for ideas. They have lots of hidden litterbox solutions.
MichelleD

Post by MichelleD »

My previous dog also enjoyed the, er, hors doerves (not sure I've spelled it correctly either). :D

The easiest solution, really, is to put the cat box in a place where the dog can't get to it but the cat can. For me it was easy because my last dog absolutely would NOT go down to the basement. He wouldn't go down the stairs. So I put the cat box down there for kitty and left the door open just wide enough for the cat to go down. But even if the door was wide open, that dog wouldn't even set one foot on the step!

If he would have gone down the stairs, though, I would have kept the door shut and installed a cat door.

This is one of those things where management is probably the quickest resolution. I did see the episode where Victoria introduced a special cat box, though, where the cat climbed in and "up" so the dog couldn't get to the "prizes" inside. :-) That's another possibility. Good luck!
wholisticdogtraining

Post by wholisticdogtraining »

Hi Group,
It's great to find you here!

As you may or may not know, poop-eating is a bonafide disorder/condition in case anyone's interested, called coprophagia. Actually, it's pretty common to digest feces. There's an ethological and adaptive value to every behavior and this one is believed to be that a mother wolf/dog will eat the puppy poop to keep the den clean.

There are lots of theories on etiology (origin of causes) from nutritional deficiencies, to just like feel of the texture of clumpy poop to roll around inside the mouth(excuse me, but we're on a graphic topic here) :?

There are an equally inconclusive number of "fixes", however, management and preventing the acquisition of poop is often the easiest route to nice-smelling doggie breath and clean teeth :mrgreen:

My favorite barrier fix is the baby-gate with the plastic grids... cut out a cat-shaped (sized) piece for the cat to go through where the dog cannot fit. That's given your cat is smaller than your dog!
Wags,
Linda Michaels, MA Psych,CPDT-KA
Victoria Stilwell Licensed Trainer and Behavioral Consultant
http://www.WholisticDogTraining.com
North Coastal San Diego, CA
footsieb

Post by footsieb »

Our pug is only 1/2 lb bigger than one of our cats!!!!! We can't cut a hole small enough to let the cats in but keep that sneaky pug out!
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

Can your cat climb?
--dontpugme
footsieb

Post by footsieb »

If I had answered this 3 days ago, I would have said our younger (6 yrs) cat can, but our older (13 1/2 yrs) can't. However, in a few hours, we will only have the younger cat. Our older cat's body is rapidly failing her to the point that she is unable to respond to us. We wil be taking her to the vet. :(
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

You gave her a wonderful life! Maybe try to make a ladderlike gate with horizontal bars that the cat can climb but your pug can't. Then put the litter box in that room.
--dontpugme