Finding a good vet

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ciel121

Finding a good vet

Post by ciel121 »

All my life I've had dogs (since I was 4, I'm 32 now) and I have never ever been able to find a good vet. All the vets I have been to have been dishonest and have never cared for the well-being of my dogs. In fact, my parents' dog got very sick after a vaccination because they gave too many at once at one office to their 6 lb. Chihuahua. Now I have two lovely Miniature Pinschers and I really am so tired of incompetent vets. I really need to find a good one. How could I find a great holistic or ethical vet on Long Island? Help.
Leigha

Re: Finding a good vet

Post by Leigha »

We have a few members in NY, so maybe they'll be able to help you later on when they log on.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Talk to people you work with, go to church with, meet on the sidewalk with their dogs, etc. Ask for referrals, and find out what people think of their own vets.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

I agree with fundog, ask for referrels, also look for an AAHA accredited clinic, they are EXCELLENT! You could also google the clinics you are considering and see if there are client reviews.
Duffy Jones

Post by Duffy Jones »

Sorry to hear that you have not had a good experience with my profession. It always makes me sad when vets let people down.

When looking for a good vet, my best advice is ask around. People with dogs are a great resource and they will know who is good and who is not. Once you find someone you think might be good, go meet them and make sure your personalities match. The vet may be good but if your personality and his personality do not match then there will be a breakdown of communication. I have a few personalities that do not match well with mine and I find that I have a real problem telling the clients information in a way they will understand it. If after meeting them it does not work, then keep asking around and interviewing vets.

Good luck and I am sorry you have had a bad experience with your profession.

duf
Duffy Jones, DVM
Peachtree Hills Animal Hospital
[email protected]
www.peachtreehillsvet.com
mselisabs

Post by mselisabs »

Ask around, go by reviews of people you don't know, and lots of people you do, although just like any human doctor, it will take some time to build a relationship. I just went to a new vet this time around - I left my old one which was recommended to me, but this new vet has so far been great. She came with high recommendations but is also very active in the community, which can be something you can look for.