Puppies!

Discussion of specific It's Me or the Dog episodes.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

thepennywhistle

Puppies!

Post by thepennywhistle »

We're getting an episode on puppies tonight! I am so looking forward to
this, just to see all the opportunities I missed with my current crew.
I doubt I'll ever have another puppy, but I am still excited to see how
early life and early training could be improved today :D

Skye and the white collies...and none of them puppies anymore :(
Doglover42

Re: Puppies!

Post by Doglover42 »

I’m very excited to see this episode too!! It’s going to be great :D
Aww why do you doubt you’ll never get a puppy in the future!?
Too many doggies currently?:lol:
thepennywhistle

I'm basing the thought of no more puppies on my age/physical condition.
My youngest is not yet 2 years old, but when this lot goes on (assuming
nice long lives for all of them) I will likely be at least 70 years old. I don't
know what my situation will be after the baby, Teegan, goes on, so I'm
thinking these 5 will be my last, and I'm enjoying them fully with that
gloomy thought in the back of my mind. I may adopt a senior, or foster
some after that, depending on my living situation, but no more committing
to 10-15 years of caretaking. I've fostered/rescued too many who have
been lost in the system when elderly owners died, and I won't do that to
mine. :(

But hey, maybe I can foster puppies! So I will watch and learn tonight, and
see what knowledge I can pick up. No knowledge is ever wasted, and I just
might have a use for it in the future. You never know :D
Doglover42

Post by Doglover42 »

Well just don’t think about that gloomy thought!!
Adopting or fostering would be a great but yes you’re right! I don’t like the thought of re-homing dogs one bit :\

Yes that’s such a good idea!!! And ‘No knowledge is ever wasted, and I just
might have a use for it in the future.’ Is the best thing I’ve heard all week. I hope you do end up fostering puppies it would be so great!!
Salomé

Post by Salomé »

Pennywhistle, if you can merely foster a puppy -- a sweet, cuddly, floppy baby with oversized paws, puppy fur and sweet puppy breath --- then you're a stronger woman than me! :lol: :lol: I suspect though that the reality would be closer to that of my sister who has been "fostering" (uh huh... yeah, "fostering") 3 of her 5 dogs and 1 of her cats for well nigh 6 years now. (And two of them started out as puppies too.) My brother-in-law long ago accepted that "fostering" has a completely different meaning for her and lives in fear of the day that my sister will see yet another stray that she will "temporarily foster." :lol:
Doglover42

Post by Doglover42 »

That is quite funny!!^ :lol:
thepennywhistle

Salome,

You are too right there, and I am not strong at all in that department. I confess that I am a
failed fosterer many times over. I am pointedly not looking at the 2 orphan kitten sisters I
hand raised to place in good homes a mere 2 years ago, one of whom is standing on my shoulder
watching me type. It would be a very hard thing, giving up a foster puppy, because I am totally
incapable of holding something in need of love and hugs and not giving my heart over to it within
moments. My defense is that I personally think puppy breath is addicting, so I can't help it. :roll:

Maybe I ought to stick to fostering seniors, but puppies are soooo tempting!
Doglover42

Post by Doglover42 »

thepennywhistle wrote:Salome,

You are too right there, and I am not strong at all in that department. I confess that I am a
failed fosterer many times over. I am pointedly not looking at the 2 orphan kitten sisters I
hand raised to place in good homes a mere 2 years ago, one of whom is standing on my shoulder
watching me type. It would be a very hard thing, giving up a foster puppy, because I am totally
incapable of holding something in need of love and hugs and not giving my heart over to it within
moments. My defense is that I personally think puppy breath is addicting, so I can't help it. :roll:

Maybe I ought to stick to fostering seniors, but puppies are soooo tempting!
:lol:

So this episode was really good!
I just wish it could’ve been longer you know? So we could see the exact things that were taught :)
Raven looked like a lot to handle :lol:
Lollipop was so so cute!!!!!!!!
I also loved the new VS commercial with the shoe chewing chow :lol: :lol:
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

Doglover42 wrote: I also loved the new VS commercial with the shoe chewing chow :lol: :lol:
It actually wasn't new. There are a couple of versions of the same commercial: the shoe one, one with thunderstorm phobia...
I like the ones for zyrtec. :lol:
--dontpugme
Doglover42

Post by Doglover42 »

dontpugme wrote:
Doglover42 wrote: I also loved the new VS commercial with the shoe chewing chow :lol: :lol:
It actually wasn't new. There are a couple of versions of the same commercial: the shoe one, one with thunderstorm phobia...
I like the ones for zyrtec. :lol:
really!? I haven't seen the thunderstorm one yet!
Yeah the Zyrtec ones are the best! :lol:
Thanks for telling me! :D
spsquirtle

Post by spsquirtle »

Hello from New Jersey! I wish the episode was longer, too! I have a 12 week old puppy and am really having issues with her nipping me and my 3 kids ( but not my husband,of course!). She is always trying to chew the kids socks and shoes - while they are wearing them! The kids are afraid of her now and play in the another room now because she learned to jump on the couch. I am hoping to take her to training classes soon because I am afraid to have my children's friends over the house. She is always jumping on me and I've tried ignoring her and she seems to think that I am a chew toy and that we are playing. I am hoping for more puppy episodes. I would love to see a follow up to the family with the 3 kids to see how they are doing as the puppy gets bigger. Or even follow them through the first few months of puppy ownership.

Shelagh
greymomof5

Post by greymomof5 »

I do have a question.....everything I hear is that puppies should not mix with other dogs/puppies/dogparks/walks in public/etc until fully vaccinated which is 16 weeks. This episode showed a pup of 12 weeks going out and about. Why the mixed message? And what is true?
Doglover42

Post by Doglover42 »

greymomof5 wrote:I do have a question.....everything I hear is that puppies should not mix with other dogs/puppies/dogparks/walks in public/etc until fully vaccinated which is 16 weeks. This episode showed a pup of 12 weeks going out and about. Why the mixed message? And what is true?
You're right! I remember Victoria talking about that in an interview! But she did say it was okay in a safer environment that is concious about being sanitary i.e like training places :)

@spsquirtle Do she have a lot of toys that she chews on or is there a lack of chew toys?
bwodarski

Post by bwodarski »

Please help me, i have an out of control german shepherd puppyhe bites and bites and bites and doesnt know when to quit and i dont know how to make him stop but other than the mouthing problem he is very smart and is potty trained and can sit and lay down, he is 13 weeks old. please help me please (:
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

bwodarski - come to the Training Advice section of the forum, and start a new post about your pup, give us as many details as you can about his typical day, exercise, training, play, food, how long he is left alone for etc etc. We will be able to offer you some advice!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant