Border Collies

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

bordercollielover

Re: Border Collies

Post by bordercollielover »

luvmydogs wrote:Thanks for the pictures..I love the color..I certainly wouldn't want to start with a pocket parrot ..It always seems that the tiny ones give the most trouble..I think they have to make up for size..Do cockatiels make alot of noise ?? How much time is involved with the care?? I don't know much about birds..Thanks Paula
They are not noisy birds at all but love to sing and look at themselves, the only time they get loud is when excited at singing as a general rule not a hollering squawking bird.They love to be talked to and paid attention to and loved,and their average lifespan depending on how happy they are and general health is aroun 15-20 yrs ours is 23 now.
luvmydogs

Post by luvmydogs »

Thanks for the info..Sounds like that would be a good bird to start with..You obviously take excellent care of your friend to have reached that age..I wish my dogs could live that long..I will be trying to get pictures up next week so you can see my crew...Paula
springerx2

Post by springerx2 »

regarding the pocket parrot, we had one... once. Never again. It had to go to a better home than we could give. When out of it's cage it used to divebomb the dogs (they are springer spaniels and have a very strong hunting urge) They really wanted it but were too scared to approach. It was once on the back of the settee and Barney was watching it so it strutted right up to him and pecked his nose. Poor Barney didn't know what to do so he laid down and pretended it hadn't happened. It also used to see the cats off as well. She had the attitude like never before.
Keiri

Post by Keiri »

My Border Collie is a throw back to the Scottish "BLACK BOB" His other siblings were all the regular size for Borders, but my Keiri was a monster (size wise) compared to the rest.

He is now 13yrs old,with the attitude of a teenager, He recently passed his Silver in the good citizens award and going for his gold in June.
The examiner said "She has never seen such a laid back Collie as him before"

But when he gets his working lead on he just is a totaly different dog,Butter wont melt in his mouth.

But when he is home he runs around Bella and teaches her a bit of manners with a little nip on her rump.

As a pup he was the nippiest little dog out, you passed him and he would have caught the back of your heal, and wouldn't let go, I couldnt stop him doing this with treats, so unfortunatly I had to resort to being the Mum to the little Blighter, by getting down on all fours and grabbing his neck scruff with my mouth, and shake him gently and growl at the same time. This i only did twice and he never went for the back of my heel again, he was 13 Weeks at the time.

I would never part with any of my pets, especially Keiri. All my pets have their own room in the house, that we call the snug, and their own sofa with chairs, continental quilts, and toys.

My Partner says they are better treated, than him. NOw to me he seems Jelous, Tough haha

Regards to all who have Border Collies.

Maggie
Doglover42

Post by Doglover42 »

your collie is just gorgeous!!
cavalierkisses

Post by cavalierkisses »

BC's are one of my top three favourite breeds! They are so amazing and just the best! Hugs to everyone's BC's. I wish I could just play with them all.
bordercollielover

Post by bordercollielover »

Doglover42 wrote:your collie is just gorgeous!!
Thank you and she knows it as well
Evelin

Post by Evelin »

Hi,
I've got a border collie too. He is 3 months old now and his name is Coconut. :) I've never had borders before and I'm really surprised how clever are they. :D Agility training is very fascinating to me and I'd like to teach him some things (I wouldn't like to be professional just I'd like to have some fun together). Unfortunately there are any expert or dog trainer in my area so can I teach him at home alone? And when should I begin train him?
Thanks.
Rustymac1

Post by Rustymac1 »

I have had a few dogs in my time, but by far the border collie seems to be the best bred yet. I recently lost my Irish Setter of 14 yrs 1 yr ago, I thought I was done with dogs after her. Then watching agility shows got my mind running that with the right bred I could do this. I have been spending most my time caring for my mom who was fighting cancer, now she beat the cancer and I needed some positive motivatiion to quite smoking myself, So then came Rocky, he is a unpapered purebred rough coat Border collie 7 months old and smart as a whip and very fast, So now the fun begins, he is my insperation to quite smoking after 30 yrs so I may be able to keep up with him, but one big problem is I cant find a good agility school close to my home in L.A. Calif.
The closest to me is in San Diago or Thousand Oaks so the search continues. If anyone reads this and knows of some schools in the San Gabriel Valley here in L.A. County, Calif please chime in and let me know.
Rustymac1

Post by Rustymac1 »

Evelin wrote:Hi,
I've got a border collie too. He is 3 months old now and his name is Coconut. :) I've never had borders before and I'm really surprised how clever are they. :D Agility training is very fascinating to me and I'd like to teach him some things (I wouldn't like to be professional just I'd like to have some fun together). Unfortunately there are any expert or dog trainer in my area so can I teach him at home alone? And when should I begin train him?
Thanks.
They say no training til their muscles and bones get strong enough to support their weight, around 6-8 months, they cant compete until 15 months old and basic training is completed, I have the same problem trying to find a school, good luck
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

All dogs should not be jumping until their muscles and bones are mature enough to cope but there are things you can do, a pole on the ground to walk or run over, tunnels, walking along planks of wood etc.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
troop

Post by troop »

i have a bc called jakob he is 4 years old now and was rescued as a tiny tot from a shed being sold to joe public at a open farm park :x he was in a roasting tin being bullied by all the other pups which were not his litter mates... he had awful worms and fleas and was really quite a poorly boy but is doing good now. he is very very clever but unfortunately has a problem with his hips and cannot have to much excersise :( so couldnt be a working sheepdog like i wanted to try but he is still very bright loves his play times and is actually very good with his rest times to. i love border collies we had one as kids and he was a right handful and living in a farming area i have also fostered and rehomed many bc s to
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Jakob is definitely lucky to have you as his owner, Troop! :D You've done a lot of good work with him since you've had him, even though you can't exercise him much because of his hips, but a lot of CHEERS to you, Troop! :D

I know it has been a while since I've had a Border Collie. The last one we had I found stuck in a ditch pipe while I was walking my other dogs. It was soak and wet, and as you can imagine, cold. I tried to find the owner who I knew at the time and is now deceased because he left his dogs run free, including the mothers. I live in a rural area so it was nothing to see a mother dog and her pups roaming through the fields and woods. As it turned out, it wasn't his and no one claimed the puppy or reported a missing puppy, so I took care of her until she died fifteen years later. Miss the ol' girl, though, because she made a lot of my days. In fact, all my dogs, past and present, make my days! :D
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

I have a rescue dog (Dylan) who I reckon could be collie x golden retriever and he is amazing! We have a couple of issues that we are working on and have done really well with, but he makes me laugh every day! He is incredibly playful (he is probably coming up to 2 years of age but thinks he is still a puppy!), has so many facial expressions and is so so quick to learn. I do agility with him, and we have been doing it for maybe a few months, and he is amazingly good at it....last week was the week when he mastered the see-saw and the weave poles, all on his own! I was so proud!

Does anyone else's collie have a habit of nipping/grabbing at slippers/shoes or trouser legs when they want attention or to play>????
macylee36

Post by macylee36 »

We have Aulie, a 2 soon to be 3 year old Australian Shepherd/Border Collie mix. He is loads of fun. Endless energy of course. We've taught him to "talk" and he does all the time! We've come a LONG way since i originally posted about him on here. He was having problems getting into the car - he was completely phobic about it. Thanks to some help on here he now happily - with some slight hesitation jumps into the car on his own! We also had some marking issues and he is no longer a marker! Yay! The husband enjoys taking him out on the longboard. It's a good ride for both of them.
Attachments
DSC_0890d.jpg
DSC_0890d.jpg (110.32 KiB) Viewed 7290 times
Aulie - 8 yo Border Collie/Australian Shepherd
Zoe - 4 yo German Shepherd/Norwegian Elkhound

Other pets:
Keoki - 10 yo kitty
4 chickens
2 turtles

Too many pets!