Coughing and Snuffling

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Emma&Tess

Coughing and Snuffling

Post by Emma&Tess »

Hi all

My 15month old German Shepherd started coughing and snuffling a few days ago. She is now coughing quite alot and i was wondering if you think i shoulld take her to the vet.
It started after she came back from the kennels.(I was thinking she could have picked it up form there) A week before she went to the kennels we took her to the vet to get her vaccinations updated. She also had a eye infection which we have been to the vet MANY times about.

Thanks alot
Emma
Leigha

Re: Coughing and Snuffling

Post by Leigha »

I'd take her to the vet. My mom's dog got Kennel Cough because my brother got a dog from the pound that had it and brought it to my mom's house to introduce them.
Lauram

Post by Lauram »

I would call the vet and discuss the symptoms, as the dog is coughing they may not want you to go in to the surgery but they should be able to advise you.

Is your dog well in itself (apart from coughing and snuffling?) Have you taken the dogs temperature.

Monitor your dog closely, if there is any worsening of the situation get back in contact with the vet immediately.

One of the big worries with coughing is that it can lead to pneumonia which can be fatal. We had all 12 of ours with kennel cough, it was disgusting at one point 10 were coughing in unison some were obviously ill, sicking up mucus, not eating etc others just coughed. Our vet is really good he popped out on his way to lunch, jabbed the ill ones and gave us pills for the rest didn't even charge for the consultation or travel. Another time when we Tag was coughing he treated her in the back of the car.

Definately ring the vet and keep a close eye on your dog.
Emma&Tess

Post by Emma&Tess »

Thanks you for your advice. She is still herself which is enegetic and playful and is not off her food. I think I will ring the vet
bmbutler

Post by bmbutler »

What is snuffling?
Blackie's and Misty's Mom
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

Snuffling is the noise we make when our noses are runny!!

Please make sure you keep your dog away from any other dogs until at least a week after the cough clears up - if it is kennel cough (which is like a cold) it is very contagious and any contact with other dogs could spread it - fine for healthy dogs but not so good for very young, old or sick dogs. Walk at times when you won't meet anyone or in places other people don't walk too much, and don't let your dog play with other dogs.

Manuka honey is very good for coughs!!