Episode 215 - Bulldog Battle - May 1

Any time new episodes of It’s Me or the Dog are airing on Animal Planet in the US, Victoria will answer questions about that episode later that week. Post your questions to Victoria about the most recent episode here anytime.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

BoardHost
Site Admin

Episode 215 - Bulldog Battle - May 1

Post by BoardHost »

Victoria will discuss last weekend's episode of It's Me or the Dog, Bulldog Battle, in this thread at 9pm on Monday, May 3rd.

The Odom family have four dogs: male French bulldog Rufus, male English bulldog Jojo, male Presa Canario puppy Wolfgang, and female black labrador mix Shelly. They have not had much training and are out of control on walks, and Jennie takes on all the responsibility, while her husband James does nothing whatsoever with the dogs. Rufus attacks Jojo so much that Jennie and James's three-year-old twin daughters are scared. Also, James is thinking of training Wolfgang to be a fighting dog, which can bring disastrous results.
BoardHost
Petsittingbyliz1

Re: Episode 215 - Bulldog Battle - May 1

Post by Petsittingbyliz1 »

Victoria,

I loved the look away training you did. Can you go through that in steps? Thanks. I enjoyed the episode, as usual.

Liz
kathypeters1986

Post by kathypeters1986 »

Hi Victoria,
Loved how the girls got to do the high five trick with wolfgang. Where can you buy the alarm that you had on the trash can? My son and I love your show and enjoyed meeting you at Petzone.
thanks,
Kathy
RoseTyler

Post by RoseTyler »

Hello Victoria,

You had mentioned a term called "ragging" when the dogs were in a scuffle. I work very part time at a dog daycare, use to do full time. Anyways, I have seen my share of scuffles. Most of the time, it is just loud and harmless. Sometimes, it seems worse. Some dogs will NOT end it and keep going after the other dogs. This doesn't happen often! When it does though it can ruin your whole week, not too mention you are on edge when either of those dogs are together. My question is "ragging" and what exactly is that? I also, want to know, when do you finally step in and try and stop it? We use loud noises first...like squeak toys, then direct spot (usually works). I hate to use it though because it lingers in the room and gets ALL the dogs. Thank you!
Dogs are perfect at being dogs, people are perfect at screwing them up
forkin14

Post by forkin14 »

Victoria,

Loved the episode! You could really see the tension in the house melt away as the episode progressed. I'm glad Jojo was shown at the end with the friend that took him and how happy he is. I've noticed though in some episodes (I can't recall which exact ones) you don't use the clicker when training anymore, how come? Do some dogs just respond the same way regardless of whether or not a clicker is used?

Thanks!
-Lindsey
MJM

Post by MJM »

I saw in one of the "extras" that you were working with KJ and JoJo. Did you do much work with KJ to make sure that he and JoJo got off to a good start? I would also wonder if maybe JoJo might have some issues with other dogs since he was so used to being attacked.
thepennywhistle

Post by thepennywhistle »

Wow, that was a different situation for you to step into. I applaud
their decision to rehome JoJo (although with the speed with which
the decision was reached, I have to wonder it this was not already
being considered). While I'm glad the fighting between the bulldogs
was ended, I do regret not seeing you work a bit with them on reducing
the conflicts. Also, have you any suggestions on how to stop such a
fight if control of the situation is lost and actually gets to the point
of battle? We saw with Manny the poodle how to distract dogs from
the less serious sort of squabble, but what can you do to stop something
as intense as Rufus latching on that way once it's actually in motion?
I've not needed the knowledge yet, but it would be good to have ideas
on what actions to take before they're needed. I've known of too many
people sticking their hands in the middle of a fight and being seriously
bitten in the melee.

Much applause to you for coming down firmly on the plan to train
that puppy to attack. The idea of that sort of focused power in
inexperienced hands gives me the shivers.

Once again, thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience with us.

Skye and the white collies
puppymomma

Post by puppymomma »

Love your program & methods Victoria !
This may be a little off topic...but perhaps not, as a puppy was involved in the bulldog show.
I am about to pick up my 8 week old golden retriever-poodle mix puppy in a few weeks. I am an "at home" mom and I am considering the "umbilical cord" method of potty training her ( puppy is 'attached to owner on a 6 foot leash at all times) I like the idea that the puppy is always around me, so that I can watch to see signs that she has to potty & scoot with her outside asap. I like that it eliminates many potential "accidents" since I will have her by by side constantly. What do you thik about this method of house-training?
braeraphael

Post by braeraphael »

Hi Victoria,

Great episode! I have a question. When you meet a client, and they have decided to re-home their dog, is it up to the owners to find the new home, or you? I know you do observe the meeting to make sure things go well and to make sure the dog ends up in the right home. But who normally finds the new home? Also, what happens if you can't find a home right away? Do the parents still keep the dog, and you work with the dog for the time being, or does the dog end up in the shelter? I'm sure it depends on the situation.

I know as a trainer the last thing we want to do is see a dog end up in a shelter. Behavioral problems are the number one reason why dogs end up in shelters.

Thank you for you time:)

Brae
kevsmom

Post by kevsmom »

Hello Victoria

Loved the show as always. I was intersted in the look away comand. My dogs get right up in my face when I'm doing something low to the floor. Would the look away method work for my dogs? I've tried backing them away with a body block. Doesn't seem to work for me?

I think I read somewhere that you have a chocolate lab. I have one also. Actually she is a cross between lab and golden retriever. She is gorgeous and she knows it :lol:

Thanks for your show and advise
Carol
blazerrose

Post by blazerrose »

I have two questions - in the beginning when Rufus attacked Jojo by the pool, was their fight not serious enough to break up, or was it that Rufus was aggressing so much, it was dangerous to step in? And, am I remembering the UK series correctly that Chaos was also a bulldog? If so, is there something in the breed to be aware of? Thanks a bunch!
doggy style

Post by doggy style »

victoria,if jo jo hadnt left, do you think training those two would have been possible? p.s. bring back the vette!
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

Hello everyone! I'll be here for the next hour answering your questions about last weekend's episode. Fire away!
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

Petsittingbyliz1 wrote:Victoria,

I loved the look away training you did. Can you go through that in steps? Thanks. I enjoyed the episode, as usual.

Liz
Thanks, Liz. It's basically just teaching him impulse control.
1. I taught him to turn his head away.
2. Then I taught him to take a step back. Bulldogs' natural tendencies are to charge forward at things, so teaching Rufus to take a step away was going to help him gain control of himself in certain situations.
3. I trained Wolfgang to do the same thing.
4. Once both dogs had it down, they were trained to do it in front of each other so that both dogs were turning away from each other on command.
Salomé

Post by Salomé »

Victoria, LOVE your show and your passion. I've learnt so much from you.

About the episode, did the Odoms give away the lab too? I didn't see him being trained in the "turn away" and I would think given Rufus' issues with other dogs, if the lab had still been around, he would have needed to be trained too in order to avoid any potential difficulties with Rufus.

BTW, I hope so much that you'll consider doing return shows as you used to do in the UK. There are so many families whom I would love to see how they're doing a year or so after you left them.