a humping question

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

**liz**

a humping question

Post by **liz** »

evening all,

Riley is now 11 weeks old.
The past couple of evenings he has been bringing his blanket into the living room from his bed and he starts to hump it!
is this normal???
Horace's Mum

Re: a humping question

Post by Horace's Mum »

Short answer - yes :D

If you don't like it work on distracting him with another toy or playing with you, but it is normal.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Totally normal - I would ignore it, its one of those things that wont be an issue unless you make it one.

If he starts humping stuff other than his own.. ie your cushions or legs, you can use time outs or a distracting noise and redirect him to his own stuff or suggest a different activity..

I find when people react massively to a pup humping their own belongings it just makes it a fantastic attention seeking tool, and a trick guaranteed to be performed when there are guests!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

My three weekies are starting to hump each other when they have their after meal play sessions. Last night we had a train of three of them. It's, um... different to say the least.
forkin14

Post by forkin14 »

Cadence used to hump her bed allllll the time when she was a pup. Then she humped Chris' leg twice :lol: He was freaked out and I just thought it was hilarious. I think soft materials can just tickle a bit down there and that may be how they naturally react? Or he's just having a really good time playing and takes it up a notch :lol: I'm sure it's just a phase as he is maturing, nothing to worry about as long as you don't make a big fuss about it so he doesn't think hump = lot's of reaction from parents!
dixie's mom

Post by dixie's mom »

Liz

I have noticed our dachund rebel do that also ! I try not to say anything !