Bathing and Frontline

Discussion of grooming tips and questions.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

forkin14

Bathing and Frontline

Post by forkin14 »

So it has been 4 days since I put Frontline on Cadence but she's been getting really dirty and grimy since we've been going on long nature walks this past week. If I bathe her will it cause the Frontline to not work? We do have a Flea&Tick Shampoo (Sentry Pro I think it's called). But the issue is that when we bathe her, the vet had told us to use this medicated shampoo for her skin (when she had all those sores on her belly from the allergies, she hasn't had sores in about a year but we still use it) and then an oatmeal shampoo. Should I switch one out for the other? We probably could do without the medicated, so should I use the oatmeal and then the Flea&Tick? Or will using the Flea&Tick be too much with the fact that we used the Frontline?
I'm very confused with all this stuff :? haha
***Melissa***

Re: Bathing and Frontline

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Yes, unfortunatelly when you bath your doggie (or when doggie gets wet in any way, like swimming or whatever), the Frontline does not work and need to be applied again.

Sorry, I don't know about the shampoos & all that though
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
forkin14

Post by forkin14 »

I figured it'd wash away haha oh well, I guess we just need to put up with her smelliness for a month :lol:
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

:lol:

I think you can bath her, and then just put new Frontline on again...I'm just not sure if the chemicals in there are too harsh??

That's why I use Frontline (especially in summer, or when we visit some places where I know there's lots of ticks), AND another product too. The other one I use is a natural product - not as strong as Frontline but also works well, and the plus side is that there's no chemicals in there. I use that when we are at home (also apply it after every bath), bc I know we don't really have ticks in our yard, or when going to the dam. Even though there are quite a lot of ticks at the dam, it won't help to use Frontline there, bc they are in & out of the water the whole time. So then I use the other one, and make sure I apply it everytime they get out of the water.
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
mselisabs

Post by mselisabs »

You should only need to apply it once a month. You *should* wait a few days after apply it (after it has completely 'dried out') but it should be effective the whole 30 days regardless of bathing/swimming.
forkin14

Post by forkin14 »

Thanks! Ticks are a big problem here as our backyard is a wooded area. I'm not sure about fleas in our area though..
forkin14

Post by forkin14 »

Okay I am VERY angry right now.. I just noticed Cadence has ANOTHER tick on her in the same spot where the one was last time. After that incident, I bathed her in a flea&tick shampoo, waited 2 days and put her Frontline Plus on her. That was on the fourth of this month, just 9 days ago. And she has NOT gotten wet except when I rinsed her paws off yesterday because they were covered in mud.

How come the Frontline is not working?! What should I do??
Wes

Post by Wes »

Frontline doesn't actually repel the ticks, it just kills them once they're on her. I believe K9 Advantix both repels and kills ticks, but you shouldn't use it if you have cats, as it's highly toxic to them.
forkin14

Post by forkin14 »

You're right, I just looked it up and Frontline DOES NOT repel ticks. :evil: Ugh! I thought this whole time that it would prevent Cadence from getting ticks and fleas in the first place, as we don't want them in our house as well as on her. I'm thinking of going to K9-Advantix now, we never come into contact with cats so we should be fine.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

This is what I use to kill fleas and ticks http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Flea-Detector-Des ... 35a88bab2a I comb it through my dogs coats and it kills any fleas and ticks with a lovely zapping noise. The noise for ticks is different to the one for fleas. :lol: It is also good for when our children get nits. :wink:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
forkin14

Post by forkin14 »

Do you just brush them everyday?? I just hate thinking that there might be ticks crawling around our house right now ahh!!
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

It depends were I am, at home I only use it if they start to scratch for fleas and ticks I can normally see. I often go away and sometimes were I am has a lot of ticks so in these places I comb it through them at least daily but if really bad several times a day. It only takes a minute or two but I don't think it will work if your dog has a long coat.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Wes wrote:Frontline doesn't actually repel the ticks, it just kills them once they're on her. I believe K9 Advantix both repels and kills ticks, but you shouldn't use it if you have cats, as it's highly toxic to them.
Very interesting info
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

Ok, straight from Meriel, do not bathe a dog 48 hours prior to application or 48 hours after application of frontline. Frontline is a transdermal product, it travels through the oils of the dogs top skin layer. For fleas one application is good for 3 months. For ticks it should be applied monthly. OR you can buy a product called Preventic collars by virbac. These look like a flea collar (Please don't use those, they are dangerous) but affect ONLY ticks. I apply frontline every three months to my shepherd to keep the fleas from invading, and use the preventic collar for the other 2 months. Preventic collars are safe and effective, and I believe very reasonably priced
Wicket

Post by Wicket »

josie1918 wrote:Ok, straight from Meriel, do not bathe a dog 48 hours prior to application or 48 hours after application of frontline. Frontline is a transdermal product, it travels through the oils of the dogs top skin layer. For fleas one application is good for 3 months. For ticks it should be applied monthly. OR you can buy a product called Preventic collars by virbac. These look like a flea collar (Please don't use those, they are dangerous) but affect ONLY ticks. I apply frontline every three months to my shepherd to keep the fleas from invading, and use the preventic collar for the other 2 months. Preventic collars are safe and effective, and I believe very reasonably priced
I use Frontline Plus. I thought the flea protection was only monthly? :?: