Pup needs to lose a little weight.

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

sez88

Pup needs to lose a little weight.

Post by sez88 »

Hello :)

Charlie had his 6month check up at the vets today, everything is fine apart from the vet said that he is a little overweight, she said this as a passing comment and then said we can go :?

Dispite his breed (collie x lab) he is surprisingly lazy!! :lol: He is quite happy to lounge around all day...he doesnt get to do that of course, he goes on 2-3 walks a day and loves to play with the other dogs, if there are no other dogs though he doesnt do too much!
He recently started to 'fetch' at the park, but im not sure how much I should be letting him chase the ball back and forth as im worried about his joints. Should I limit it?
My OH would like to go running with him, is that OK or is he still too young for that?
Is he old enough to be introduced to any other doggy sports? There is a club nearby that runs flyball etc which could be good fun.

We are just about to cut his meals from 3 to 2 a day. Ive been trying to cut down his meals depending on the amount of treats he has. We have been doing clicker training so he can get through a fair amount. I have tried using some of the kibble form his meals as the 'treat' but for some things they arent a good enough value treat for him.

Sorry for all the questions, he isnt huge but I want to make sure he doesnt put on anymore weight.
I look forward to your replies.

Enjoying life with our pup charlie...he had us at 'woof'!
Nettle

Re: Pup needs to lose a little weight.

Post by Nettle »

The thing with weight control is that even with increasing the exercise, you have to reduce the food. At 6 months he does not want too much exercise as you say, because of his joints. Nor does he need extra weight on his joints.

"Exercise the mind" with some games as described on our pinned thread. He is, as you thought, too young to go jogging, but carry on with the rest of his exercise.

Cut down on the grub. Most 6 monthers don't need lunch, but rather than cut it out, cut it down to a tiny tiny snack about tablespoon sized, and cut breakfast and supper by a third. That should show results pretty soon AS LONG AS :wink: nobody is feeling sorry for him by slipping him treats, and as long as training treats are not excessive.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Just to add - as I can't edit :o no flyball, agility and not too much fetch. Not just yet. He has a heap of growing yet to do.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
sez88

Post by sez88 »

Thanks Nettle :)

Ok, I will cut down the food as you say, I just gave him a kong with a really small amount of his food smeared inside (had to keep him busy while I ate!! :lol: ) so thats good, looks like im thinking along the right lines.

How old will he have to be when we can get involved in flyball etc?
Enjoying life with our pup charlie...he had us at 'woof'!