dogs barking at night

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

dixie's mom

dogs barking at night

Post by dixie's mom »

We have a couple of dogs barking at night , we own a Lab, the Daschund and my chi ! All love to bark at night ! How can i get these guys to settle down at night !
Nettle

Re: dogs barking at night

Post by Nettle »

Tell us more about the dogs and their day and night: how old, how long this has been going on, when and what they are fed, when and how long they are exercised, if they have any off-lead time, what training they have had, what training you do now - tell us a typical doggie day, tell us what times they bark, if anyone passes by then, or wild animals maybe, do they bark indoors and outdoors - no information too small.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
dixie's mom

Post by dixie's mom »

Harley the lab, is my nephew's dog , so he is knows basically to sit and loves to play tennis ! Other than that he is a ball of enery outside, which is where he stays , in our fenced yard with plenty of room . Rebel in still going crazy digging holes, being a dashchund i guess that's what they do . But he has torn the inside out of two dogbeds, and dragged his blankets out of his crate! He tries to pick fight with my chi and she don't take it to lightly ! He is still in puppy years but growing up ! And Dixie , the chi is all but 2 yrs old , I started to train her but just I guess after she got little bigger , I slacked , now i realize i should have stuck with the training her well ! She only knows stay every once in a while ! As far as food , rebel and HArley are eating ol roy dog food , while i have dixie on a mixture to get her started on Iams proactive
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

As per your other thread... all three dogs are bored out of their minds.

Your yard is not sufficient space for dogs. They need to get out and smell new smells and go for walks to exercise their bodies and their minds.

Once you do this (as per the other thread, 2 hours a day for the lab, I would say an hour to an hour and a half for the dachsie and an hour for the chi) you will find they have way less time and energy to be dragging beds out and shredding them, digging holes or picking fights with one another. These are all symptoms of bored dogs with nothing better to do, cooped up and frustrated.

When you fix the exercise problem, then we can give you plenty of other ideas if any of the problems remain... but without the exercise these things will not work.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Yep, I'd wager dollars to doughnuts that if you would get these guys out for lengthy, vigorous walks on a DAILY basis, the barking will stop.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
annarollo

Post by annarollo »

I am having a similiar problem. I have a 13 month Anatolian Shepherd named Twix. She barks so much as night, we have a lot of noises outside and I think they distract her. We have a fenced in, 2 acres yard. We have trained her on all the basic commands, such as sit, stay, shake, heel, back, and quiet. She does not bark much during the day, but will bark all night if she is allowed to be outside. Our dogs are outdoor dogs, with access to a sunroom at all times. We used to leave the doggie door open at night, but must lock Twix in at night now. I'm not sure how to stop her barking habbit, since she only does it when we are not outside with her.
Anna
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

She is a guarding/watch dog breed.... bred to defend herself and whoever is around her from 'things that go bump in the night'.

If you are not there she must bark to tell you about these things that go bump in the night.... so the answer to the problem is, keep her inside with you. This is the wrong dog to be kept outside, alone (ie without humans) and expected to stay quiet.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant