The Furminator?

Discussion of grooming tips and questions.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

thepennywhistle

The Furminator?

Post by thepennywhistle »

Dumb question time, if anyone has the patience for it today. Has anyone used a grooming
tool called a Furminator? It is supposed to be the new wondertool for pulling shedding coats,
and I have a friend who swears by it, but I'm worried about it being more of an undercoat
stripping device. I'm facing 5 collies who are scheduled to blow extra heavy winter coats any
day now, and the idea of something speeding this process is appealing, but I don't want to
make mistakes. I'm no groomer, just a person who keeps coats untangled, so any hints
would be welcome.

Skye and the white merle collies
forkin14

Re: The Furminator?

Post by forkin14 »

I bought the Furminator when it was on sale and came in a package deal (the regular price was just way to expensive for me to try something out). Cadence has relatively short hair and sheds A LOT! The only areas where it got out a lot of hair was on her back near her bum, her tail, and her hind-quarters. She has very sensitive skin, so I had to do it a lot lighter than you're supposed to. It kind of made her skin a bit flaky in areas where no hair would come up (by her neck and her belly). I think this tool is best suited for longer haired dogs, so it should work great on your collies. The nearest groomer charges about $80 to Furminate and used a blow-dryer to help get as much out as you can, so it is definitely something to invest in.

So try it out, and if it doesn't work, see if you can return it :P
thepennywhistle

Post by thepennywhistle »

Forkin,

That is fantastic news! Thank you so much for taking the time to share that with me.
Not only will I be able to deal with monster shedding issue more easily with the new tool,
I can think of all the money I'm saving while doing it myself :)

Skye and the white collies
luvmydogs

Post by luvmydogs »

I use my furminator on my GSD and border collie...It works awesome on my GSD but I find I like the pin brush better for my border collie if she has snarls in her fur...I think it will definatly benefit you but you still might need a brush to get down to the skin level..happy furminating.. :D
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Have had a variety of results with it myself - I found despite it saying it doesnt cut the coat, it can on some coat types... You do need to have the dog well groomed down to the skin anyway really, certainly no snarls or tats...

The best thing to do is try and see... and if it does appear to work keep a close eye on both the dog.. and what you are pulling out of the Furminator to make sure you are not cutting loads of top coat out or making the dog bald!

The other item I like for pulling out a lot of undercoat without really damaging the top coat, is the Oster Mane and Tail rake - again this has blades in a sort of hook shape and if your dog is long coated and matted it WILL cut the coat... but a well groomed dog, it will pull out a LOT of fluffy undercoat too. I use this on Errol to get some of his thick wooly undercoat out as you really cannot use a Furminator on a coat like a Tibetan Terriers!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
corgilover

Post by corgilover »

We have corgis, pems and cardis, and have found the Furminator a god-send! The first time I did the four pems and one cardi, I got a 30 gal. trash bag full of fur! Wow!! We have become big believers in this product and use it regularly. It's also great for our cats. With regular use, the shedding from the corgis has really decreased.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

I love using my furminator on my Akita! I would go nuts brushing and grooming my Akita because of the Akita's layered coat, but with the furminator, I can get deeper into my Akita's coat and strip away the dead, loose fur underneath. With that in mind, the furminator cuts down the time it takes me to groom my dog! 8)
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
jennyf

Post by jennyf »

I have a smooth coated JRT and the Furminator is the only tool that will help with moulting, as all the other brushes, combs etc didn't touch his coat.
SterlingPup

Post by SterlingPup »

I haven't used it on my puppy yet since he's isn't shedding at the moment. I have however used it on my cats for the last year! It is amazing. When I'm done I have a pile of hair about the size of my cat. It's so nice to see it in the trashcan and not on the end of my bed or sofa. It is very expensive, but if you go on Amazon.com I bought a packaged deal that was 2 furminators for $30. At the store they are $45 each! Highly recomend!
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

I use my furminator on my GSD, and I swear before I got it (paid $11.00 for mine on e-bay) I was ready to take a garden hose to the inside of my house and wash the hair away. This thing is a great investment towards a clean freaks sanity :lol:
GllntKnight

Post by GllntKnight »

I love it works for me. I have a rough coat and a broken coat JRT When it gets really hot I just use the clippers and take it all off.
Last edited by GllntKnight on Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue. ~Author Unknown

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. ~Gilda Radner
bmbutler

Post by bmbutler »

I love mine for both my JR mix and flat coated retriever. Misty (JR) was shedding like crazy for about 6 weeks and this helped me keep some control over it. Check out Amazon before buying one at PetSmart. I got mine (reg $54-55) for half the price.
Blackie's and Misty's Mom
bmbutler

Post by bmbutler »

josie1918 wrote:I use my furminator on my GSD, and I swear before I got it (paid $11.00 for mine on e-bay) I was ready to take a garden hose to the inside of my house and wash the hair away. This thing is a great investment towards a clean freaks sanity :lol:
I know exactly what you are saying. Misty's hair can be everywhere and I want to pick up my house and shake it out. :lol:
Blackie's and Misty's Mom
Selena1

Post by Selena1 »

I LOVE the furminator!
It isn't really useful for getting out knots or tangles, it is mainly just for getting rid of loose hairs. It works wonders at that.
leslie123

Post by leslie123 »

I just ordered one from amazon today for $15, can't wait to get it for Sulley. Lot less expensive on amazon than at petsmart, but then again IMO almost anything is less expensive anywhere than petsmart. (no offense to those who work there) :D