Episode 207 - Dangerous Territory - Feb 20

Any time new episodes of It’s Me or the Dog are airing on Animal Planet in the US, Victoria will answer questions about that episode later that week. Post your questions to Victoria about the most recent episode here anytime.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

BoardHost
Site Admin

Episode 207 - Dangerous Territory - Feb 20

Post by BoardHost »

Post your questions for Victoria in this thread regarding tonight's new episode of It's Me or the Dog - 'Dangerous Territory'. Victoria will be online and chatting live about the episode tomorrow night - Sunday, February 21st from 9pm-10pm EST.

Roomates Cortez and Cameron are being held hostage by the nasty behavior of Cortez' Yorkshire Terrier, Neeko. With an extensive bite history, Neeko doesn't have much time left before his aggressive behavior means his future is beyond Cortez' control, and Cameron is seriously considering moving out as a result. Cortez' second dog, Toby, is picking up on some of Neeko's bad behavior and Victoria's task will be to convince the roomates to assume a leadership role in the house while taming Toby and Neeko.
BoardHost
kchilutti

Re: Episode 207 - Dangerous Territory - Feb 20

Post by kchilutti »

What type or brand of clicker was being used?
jubjub0527

Post by jubjub0527 »

This is more of a request than a question. I'd like to know more about phasing out treats and techniques used to modify pets' behavior. When should you start phasing out treats and how do you go about it?
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

On the episode, after you leave a household, we see you check in on a tv/laptop. Is what the viewers see all that you get to see on the tv/laptop, or do you see an extended version?
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

Did Toby and Cameron do agility?
sj96skittles

Post by sj96skittles »

when you were gone and nico was doing the agility, how come he responded better to cortes than cameron?
sj96skittles

Post by sj96skittles »

did toby ever do agility too?
sweats

Dog Treats

Post by sweats »

Evening;

I noticed that during the show this evening (2/20/10) you were giving the two little dogs treats when they responded to your or the owners commands. You had a pouch on and reached in to grab the treats quite often.

I have a shitz zu and like to work with him as well but have had a difficult time finding the right treats and small enough so I'm not feeding him a smorgsboard.

Can you give me the name of the treats you were using so I may order some online? I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

Gordon24
Doglady6807

Post by Doglady6807 »

Hi Victoria,

I was wondering more about how to deal with a dog who reacts with aggressively toward visitors as they come in. I understand how removing the dog from the room can be effective, however, my dog also becomes very anxious and agitated if there is ever a closed door between us. So, removing him from the room makes him bark more violently and scratch frantically at the door. Should I just wait it out? The other thing that happens is, if he is silent for a second and I let him out, he is still very worked up and will charge the guest and start barking again. In this event should I just put him back in the room? Is it a patience/waiting it out thing, or would you suggest a different approach? Thank you so much!

Katie
Leigha

Re: Dog Treats

Post by Leigha »

My DVR has decided to go on strike and is not recording my tv shows so I didn't see yesterday's episode, but I know a lot of times Victoria just uses cooked chicken and she breaks off pieces to give to the dogs.
emmabeth

Re: Dog Treats

Post by emmabeth »

Ill add this post to the Live Chat post about the episode in the other forum and then Victoria will see it.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
sunnynacho

Post by sunnynacho »

Hi Victoria,

We'd first like to say thanks for changing our lives. My husband and I started watching your show in September of 2008. We learned everything we could, read your book, and when we were ready, we adopted Nacho. He is the most wonderful, sweetest dog, and mostly thanks to you and your advice. We are head over heels in love with him. I've attached a picture for you to meet him.

So my question about last night's episode is about how dogs see humans as pack leaders or not. Obviously the Yorkie needed to start respecting both guys a lot more, and you advised one of them to take on stronger body language in front of the dog to do this.

What is your take on other techniques for establishing leadership that involve owners physically placing their dogs on a certain position and making them stay there for say, 30 minutes? It is not asking a down, it is not an alpha roll, but actually putting your arm over the dog, gently grabbing both paws and lowering him into a down.

I read about it in a Canine Good Citizen Test preparation book (by Jack and Wendy Volher) and they recommend doing this often so that the dog will understand who is the leader of the pack.

It is not forceful at all but I think it is a bit more dominant than your line of training. Do you think it is good for the dog? Would it not cause them to be afraid of their owners instead? And do you think it would help in cases like Toby?

Thanks!
Alejandro, Sofia and Nacho
Attachments
Nacho.jpg
Nacho.jpg (98.13 KiB) Viewed 18055 times
sj96skittles

Post by sj96skittles »

omg!! nacho looks sooooooooooo cute!!!
nalaandsimba

Post by nalaandsimba »

Hello Victoria,
I had a question that I was wondering your take on. When walking a dog, is there ever any reason you would recommend or say its ok to give a leash jerk to get the dog's attention if shes not responding to a verbal interruption? (standard nylon collar, no prong or choke collars). Also, thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to be here so many sunday nights to answer all these questions.
doggy style

Post by doggy style »

So you experienced your first dog bite.fortunately for you there was leather in the way.You kept composed but were you freaking out a little bit with a little vicious dog trying to eat yor toes! Ive been bitten over 20 times by an american eskimo breaking skin, but my worst dog mauling i ever had was from a miniature schnauzer.those little dogs are no joke.