My Dogs Mad 5 Mins

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

miffsmiff

My Dogs Mad 5 Mins

Post by miffsmiff »

In Nov last year we adopted an ex racing greyhound. She has a super temprement, very gentle, very good manners. The only thing that worries us is her occasional 'mad five mins' when she tears round the house. We would like to restrict this activity to when she is outside in the garden (what is left of it as a result of her 'racing around!!'). If you have any advice please do not hesitate to respond. To date she has restricted her indoors 'mad 5 mins' to when my wife, my son, and myself are in the house. If she was to have a turn when any visitors were here it would potentialy give them a fright.

Thanks
Leigha

Re: My Dogs Mad 5 Mins

Post by Leigha »

My dog does that, mostly when he's bored and underexercised. I think someone on the forums called them "zoomies" which I think is a hilarious name for them. I honestly don't know how you can "cure" them (does she get enough exercise?). I just let my dog run his course because I think it's hilarious... Have you tried opening the door to your garden when she's in her mad 5 to see if she'll run right out the back door for a quick play with someone? Again, I don't know if it'd work or if it's good advice, just what I could think of.
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

I have learnt to spot when Horus is about to zoomie, or needs to zoomie, and I get the doors open, let him zoomie out and then shut the door!! TBH I find it quite funny at home, but it's not good at my parents cos he slips on the tiles and crashes. I wouldn't worry, but if you learn to read the signs then you can work out how to get her out of the house and into the garden.

If you want to actually try and stop them, you need to give her regular chances to run off lead and let off steam - I think all dogs can have these mad moments but whippets and greyhounds do fairly impressive ones!! Horus certainly "needs" to have a zoomie instigated by me when he hasn't been able to go offlead and often when he has been stressed for a few days too, such as when we are away.

And just for a laugh here's my boy!!
http://s384.photobucket.com/albums/oo29 ... s_0002.flv
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

Not sure if that link works, try this one :roll:

http://s156.photobucket.com/albums/t5/d ... s_0002.flv
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Ha! Look at him go!

Yes, zoomies, or for the long name. Bum Tuck Zoomies (dogs bum goes right under them as they zooooooooooom). We also call it Crackerdog.

It can be down to a burst of energy from a meal - if your dog food is full of sugars or colourings or flavourings this can cause it, alternatively lack of exercise/boredom can cause it... sometimes a dog just has too much energy one day!

I would hazard a guess at lack of exercise if you are following the usual guidelines for ex racers - 20 minutes twice a day on the lead does NOT actually 'cut it' at all. Try an hour twice a day and some free running in a secure place and see if that helps (if you arent doing that already that is!).
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

Max zoomies too! When he starts I open the back door & let him go unless it's raining of course :lol: Sometimes my husband or nephew will rile him up & off he goes. Othertimes he is bored & needs to blow off steam. it's all normal (& funny) Just make sure he has a safe place to zoomie & let him go!
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

We call it "Crackerloopies" :D get the door open as you see the eyes change!

As Emms says, Greyhounds do need a lot more exercise than the fiction of two twenty-minute walks a day. Two decent walks a day and the most additive-free diet you can manage will make all of you more relaxed.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
miffsmiff

Post by miffsmiff »

thanks to all of you who've posted.

We are progressing towards being able to give our 'Jen' off lead time, in a large 'safe' open space but we have not got there yet .

Yes it is very funny, we are just worrried that she hurts herself whilst zooming indoors.

Again, thanks for your contributions and advice.

RS :D
mustlovdoggs

Post by mustlovdoggs »

ZOOMIE EVER SLEEP ? GREAT DOG.HE IS SO FUNNY.
I wished I was the person my dogs thinks I am.
mselisabs

Post by mselisabs »

Haha! Funny video, beautiful dog!

She'll get the "11 o'clock crazies" if she hasn't had proper exercise, gunning it through the apartment. Most frequently she gets the 'bum tuck zoomies' after a bath, though - lots of pent up nervous energy! So we play chase! And then >crash< :mrgreen: