Hello from the Isle of Man

First-time users can introduce themselves to the Positively community here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

narna

Hello from the Isle of Man

Post by narna »

Hello!

Probably introduced myself about 3 times on here already by other means lol. My name is Stacey, i'm 21 and live in the Isle of man (little tiny island inbetween England and Ireland for those who dont know) and have a 3 and a half year old Staffordshire Bull Terrier called Theo. I'm 6 months pregnant and am due to have my baby on 18th April 2010. Very exciting! Live with my boyfriend in a little bungalow with Theo and just hoping everything runs smoothly and Theo doesn't get too jealous of the new arrival as he's been number 1 for 3 years!

I'm sure i'll be speaking to some of you all soon, and would be interesting to see if there are any more dog owners that have experienced the new baby situation, and also any dog owners living on the Isle of Man?

Thanks
Stacey & Theo
Fundog

Re: Hello from the Isle of Man

Post by Fundog »

Hi, welcome. Congratulations on your expected arrival. :D
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Hello and welcome to the forums! Congratuations on your arrival! :D If this is your first child, start now by desensitizing your dog upcoming arrival by playing baby sounds and holding onto a doll until you know for sure your dog will be good and happy around your baby when you bring it home in April. Again, welcome aboard!
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
narna

Post by narna »

Hello, yes it is our first child, i was thinking about buying a CD called preparing fido but can only find it on US sites, it has baby noises etc on there. I have been playing baby noises and the like on youtube and he doesn't seem too fazed at all which is good :o)
Moobear

Post by Moobear »

I would make the babies bedroom a totally no go area and put a dog guard up now to get Theo used to it. Also maybe get the baby furniture you are going to have in the sitting room out now - the Moses basket and stand or those little baby chairs- and make sure he is envouraged not to go near it.Maybe just ot get him used to all things baby and it wont be so much of a shock to him. It will be a big chang for him when the baby arrives. If you have been letting him get up on your knee etc it might be an idea with 4 months to go to discourage these habits.

i am sure it will be fine for you and your partner and Theo :)

Best Wishes xxx Moo and the Mutts :)
narna

Post by narna »

I hope so :o)

We have been told once I have the baby to bring a blanket home before me and babs come come so Theo can get used to the scent etc, Theo currently sleeps in our bedroom on the floor, do you think that he should be put into the living room?

Is it worth me discouraging him to go near the baby things? I want him to enjoy the baby and not be scared of going near it, and maybe scolding him for going near baby things is a negative thing to do instead of praising him when he is near the baby and being calm and good?
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Hi :)

I wouldnt discourage him going near baby things or even in the babys room if you intend to allow him in there once the baby is here - the only thing I would seriously watch out for is him mistaking baby things for toys/places to sleep as you dont want a big chunk of Staffy trying to get in the cot with the baby or taking baby blankets to play with as raggy toys.

Its easily dealt with though by making sure he has a good 'leave' and a really good 'give' (taught by the power of SWAPPING things.... :D:D). Also if you can crack lead walking beside a pram that helps too!

Getting him used to you carrying round a doll is a good plan, as is the sound cd (its usually no problem buying stuff from the US if its under $50 you shouldnt have to pay any import duty either and stuff generally arrives pretty quick) and bringing stuff that smells of baby home as soon as possible.

For the actual introduction , the more 'no big deal, yeah we just brought this wee baby home with us its noooo fuss....' and nonchalent and chilled out you can be the better. Thats easy for me to say and SO not easy for you to do because of course bringing your baby home is SERIOUSLY special and a big deal but your dog must NOT think this...

If its safe to do so, let him sniff a foot or hand and even lick, you can be ready with a baby wipe on hand - the calmer and more relaxed you can be about the whole baby thing the less bothered HE is going to be.

The worst thing to do and is unfortunately what many peoples instincts tell them to do, is to freak out and play 'you cant touch this omg no you caaaaaaant even look at this its soooo special' with the baby. Because this is a game, for a start, and it makes the dog freak out and he WANTS to get to the babbbbbby it must be sooooooooooo good and amazing .... maybe its a toy or its fooooood wow...... JUMP..... GRAB...

So you definately dont want to do that at all (not saying all dogs will do this but its A scenario that unfortunately can play out alllllll too easily!).
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant