Hello from TN

First-time users can introduce themselves to the Positively community here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

sfiddler1248

Hello from TN

Post by sfiddler1248 »

Hello! My name is Shelly. I currently live in Nashville TN. I have been involved in German Shepherds for the past 4 years. I used to compete in a sport called Schutzhund. Because of it's politics and clubs closing, I decided to leave the sport. I sold two of my working dogs to homes where they will be worked. I currently have 1 retired German Shepherd who is 10years old named Draco. He will be with me for the rest of his life. I also have a min Daschund, named Radar and a 7 month old Boxerpuppy, named Zeus. We purchased the Boxer pup for a camping and hiking buddy. I have also given it serious thought of putting him through some agility classes. The Boxer is learning some of the basic obedience commands, but I have plans of training him through advanced obedience.

Happy to be apart of the board and am excited to learn some new things!
Noobs

Re: Hello from TN

Post by Noobs »

Wow, Shutzhund! Do they usually use harsher training methods for that sport because of the strict obedience and control it requires? I don't think we've ever had a Shutzhund participant on the boards; not one who ever posted, that is. Welcome!
sfiddler1248

Post by sfiddler1248 »

Hey Noobs!

Yes, some of the methods they use is quite harsh. I did not mention, but that is another reason, I have left the sport. Most of the training I did with my female German Shepherd was based on food drive and toy drive. All of her obedience was either trained by a toy or food reward and lots of praise. You will see a lot of prong collars used in the sport, however, in competition, you are only allowed to use a flat collar.

I hope that because I was apart of Schutzhund, that will not be held against me on this board. I am in no way apart of the harsh treatments that they use. For example, all of Zeus obedience is being trained with a food reward. He knows, sit, down, come (recall) and is beginning to learn heeling. This has all be accomplished without using harsh methods of training. I only use a flat collar and a leash and again with a ton of praise.

I wanted to be apart of this board to learn more of the positive reinforement training, so I can apply a better way of training with my dogs.

Thanks. :)
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

I think that's wonderful that you were able to do your training with food and toys! And no, it certainly won't be held against you, especially since you're here to learn about positive reinforcement. There are plenty of members on this board who may not have been Shutzhund trainers but used harsh training methods (myself included, on my fearful rescue dog, no less!) before we found a better way through Victoria's show and this forum.

Please post photos when you get a chance in the photo thread! :D
sfiddler1248

Post by sfiddler1248 »

Awesome...happy to hear, I will be welcomed! :) I will post pics as soon as I take some recent ones. Our last computer crashed, so I lost a lot of pictures. But I will be sure to post some new ones of all my fur kids. :)
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Hiya,

Taking part in schutzhund definately wont exclude you from these forums. As Noobs says, many of us came to positive dog training because we were witnessing or even using harsh methods and were not happy with this. I count myself in that number, I did not like what I was being told to do to my dog and sought an alternative.

Its been a journey for me thats taken over 10 years of my life... and I have learned some amazing things and hopefully will continue to learn much more!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
sfiddler1248

Post by sfiddler1248 »

Thank you Emmabeth! Most times then not, someone will hear or read the word "Schutzhund" and it becomes an argument on why you are teaching your dog protection work. (Or bitework as they call it now.) Schutzhund is not a bad sport. There are people who are involved in it, that make it bad and do corrections on dogs, that are too extreme for what the dog actually did!! Most of the people I trained with used either food or toy to train their dogs in both obedience or tracking. I really got tired of some of the harsh treatments to the dogs and again it is very political!

I am very excited to learn a lot about the positive reinforcement and love Victoria's shows. Watch them every weekend. :D I have used some of her methods on Zeus and he is responding very well.

Anyway, thank you for the nice welcome!