Hi i'm new!!

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

chelle&honey

Hi i'm new!!

Post by chelle&honey »

Hi guys

My name is michelle and i am new (live in the UK) i have just got a dogue de bordeoux called Honey, she is 7 weeks old and is gorgeous!!

I am having a little issue as she is weeing and pooing in her bed,any advice would be great!!

xx
Michelle
Owning a dogue de Bordeoux for the fist time and love her to bits!!
MaiasMom

Re: Hi i'm new!!

Post by MaiasMom »

Were is her bed? In a crate?, laundry room? Need a little more information. It is not normal for a dog to wee or poo where it sleeps or eats.
The best days are spent with my dogs.
chelle&honey

Post by chelle&honey »

hiya

Her bed is a crate, i dont lock her in at the moment as she isnt house trained, so the door is open all the time, she walks in pee's or poo's and come's back out.

Michelle x
MaiasMom

Post by MaiasMom »

somehow she has gotten the idea that this is the place to wee and poo. I would close the door and not allow her to do that there, go back to toilet training 101. Set a timer and take her outside at regular times, each time waiting how ever long it takes to do what she needs to do. Clean the crate well to remove all smell of wee and poo. If you notice dogs sometimes have to smell many places before they go. Get the smell out and use it only as her bedroom.

Toilet training can take awhile and some dogs after learning will revert back, be patient and consistant. If you can walk your dog with another trained dog, monkey see, monkey do sort of thing. I have always had a trained dog in the house when a new puppy came home, it made it so much easier to train baby dog. Crates should be large enough for the dog to stand up, turn around and stretch out in, no so large as to be able to toilet in. Dogs don't like to toilet where they sleep or eat. I was watching an episode of it's me or the dog last night and saw Victoria do something I did 20 years ago when I lived in a condo and had to be gone for long hours. I had a dog door out onto my secure deck. I made a toilet area with an auto oil drip pan, the large kind, put a piece of out door carpet on it and let my dog go there when I could not be there to walk him. It was easy to clean, just hose the carpet and the pan off.

The way I got him to use this was that I brought home some of the paper the puppies toileted on from the breeder, put that down on top of the carpet and the puppy knew this was the spot. it only took a couple days for the smell go get to the carpet. Now I live in a house with a very large fenced yard but the training was the same for a new puppy to my home, get soiled paper from the breeder, put it down in the back yard where I wanted the puppy to go and bingo.

I hope this helps with ideas for you, let us know how it all turns out
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Hello schelle&honey! Welcome to the forums! You've found a great place to find answers to your "Doggie problems", help others in need, or just chat about dogs!
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
chelle&honey

Post by chelle&honey »

hi guys

just wanted to update you that for 3 days now she has not pee'd or poo'd in her bed!! :)

She is still not going to the puppy pads all the time, ( i havent taken her outside yet as we have had sub zero temps with 3 foot snow) she is sometimes, so i think we maybe getting there slowly!! :D

She has started to bite my youngest daughter (aged 3) i think she is trying to dominate her, i obviously never leave them alone, but i;m a little concerned and i am not sure on how to stop this and how to make her understand that my daughter is at the top with me.

Any advice??

Michelle x
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Firstly, forget what you've been told about dominance. Your dog isn't trying to dominate your daughter. She's playing with her. Now's a good time to start teaching your dog how to play gently, but not with your daughter. Your daugther's safety first. Your dog is going to grow to be huge (and beautiful!). So whatever she does now, think of her doing it at 120 pounds.

Your dog is only 8 weeks old and there are people here who can help you with puppies. I'm afraid that's not something I can offer advice on except for what I've said above.

Best of luck and post on the Dog Training Advice forum with any specific questions about your pup's play biting: viewforum.php?f=4
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Oh and congrats on the progress with keeping her bed clean! :D
chelle&honey

Post by chelle&honey »

This what i am worried about as she is going to be HUGE!! and my daughter is only 3, so i dont want her jumping on her in 6-8 months time when she is almost fully grown!!

I thought it was play biting but she doesnt let go and if she does she goes back to her for more biting only a little harder, the more my daughter says 'ah' the more she wont let up.

I'll post this where you suggest and see what help i can get.

Thanks

Michelle x

P.s so jealous your in NY, i love that place so much :D
MaiasMom

Post by MaiasMom »

Obedience class can help with many of the things that are going to come up. I am such a nag about obedience class.
MaiasMom

Post by MaiasMom »

I just pulled up your dog, Love this dog. I would also take a look at AKC.org, it will give you information on the breed. You might want to contact a club for this breed to give you some ideas and tips.
MaiasMom

Post by MaiasMom »

This breed is known to love it's family, I agree, it's going through a baby stag with the biting. It does not know that it biting to hard yet. AND this breed needs to be kept busy or it will find ways to entertain itself, remember Turner and Houch, the movie? You might want to put a coat on the dog and maybe booties for the really cold temps. This dog is going to need to be walked to relieve it's energy. If it is to cold outside and if you have the space, put a leash on it and walk it around the house. It is also a good way to leash train. Puppies can be more work than children sometimes but once you get this baby trained you should have a wonderful dog for your children. I never met a Mastiff I did not love.

I had a puppy once that had the biting thing and someone told me to yelp like a puppy when it bit to hard, it worked pretty well. This is what happens in a litter when they bite to hard, the one being bit yelps and the one that bites gets the message. Try that one and see if it helps but I can't stress enough obedience class.
chelle&honey

Post by chelle&honey »

Thank you!! :D

i have read on the breed for almost 12 months before we bought it, i completely agree about obedience class's and as soon as she had all her injections i will be booking her in, as i want her trained so she will be the best loving dog and my daughter can enjoy her not fear her.

I will get my daughter to yelp when she bites and see how that works for us.

Thanks for all you tips!!

Michelle x
MaiasMom

Post by MaiasMom »

Let me know how it works out and keep posting for tips and idea's. I have had dogs for most of my 62 years and still find really good tips on this forum. I always learn something new to try either here or on It's me or the dog".