hey!!!! It's Kelley Anne!

First-time users can introduce themselves to the Positively community here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

kelleyanne1988

hey!!!! It's Kelley Anne!

Post by kelleyanne1988 »

Glad that this forum is back up! I talk every now and then on another forum, and some of yall knew at the beginning there were some people it took a little longer for me to warm up to than others... and like that... I don't really care for the people in this other forum but that's all I had for a while :(

ANYWAYS!....... I'm Kelley Anne. I have two beautiful Labradors! Gunner is the yellow one and Bear is the black one. They are both 9months old right now. They are pretty crazy at times but we're working on that! :-) They are fun loveable puppies that are ready to be with anyone and everyone new!!

As for me... I'm a 21year old college student in Texas. I'm majoring in Agriculture Education with a minor in Animal Science. I work 2 jobs. One is in a Deli at a grocery store and the other is at the local skating rink on Friday nights. I love both my jobs! Have an amazing manager at the deli and GREAT partners there! I also absolutely love the kids at the skating rink! I'm in a sorority as well. With all of that I stay pretty busy at times!!

I have a passion for hunting and would love if I had the time to spend to train my boys to dove hunt. But we don't go dove hunting as often as I would like when the season comes around.

That's about it! Glad to be back! :-D
Have an Amazing Day,
Kelley Anne, Gunner, and Bear
Fundog

Re: hey!!!! It's Kelley Anne!

Post by Fundog »

Hey Kelly Anne, good to see you here! I didn't know you liked to go hunting. You know I have bird dogs too, right? I've never been hunting, but because of my dogs, I've developed an interest. I'm trying to learn as much as I can about it, and to at least take my girls "pretend hunting" as much as possible, allowing them to do what they were bred to do. I love it when Dottie goes "on point"-- it's about the coolest thing I ever saw, lol!
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
kelleyanne1988

Post by kelleyanne1988 »

haha yeah! I love deer hunting mainly.

I love pointers! I think it's too cool when they point too. There's labs that are bred for that stance as well "pointing labs". Don't know much about them, but sounds like it was a stran of lab that ended up being for the same use as pointers?
Have an Amazing Day,
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Yeah, there are "pointing labs" and "flushing labs." You can breed specifically for the behavior you prefer. Most labs are preferred for retrieving water fowl, however. There are more game birds out there than just doves, and these dogs can and do hunt pretty much all species. You can condition them by exposing them to the scent often and praising them for finding birds, flushing or pointing, according to breed aptitude, and just generally taking them out where birds can be found so they get a good snoutfull, and as many positive associations with it as possible. You can also get bird scent at the sporting goods store, and throw scented dummies for them to retrieve. You can play scenting games with them by laying tracks for them, either by using store-bought scent, or by taking a freshly killed bird and dragging its body over a distance to get the scent on the ground. A lot of hunters use caged birds and planted live birds during training exercises for the pups to find as well, and for training other things like "whoa, honoring, steadying," etc.

Bummer we live so far apart; it would be awesome for the two of us to get together with our girls and boys and go chase some birds! 8)
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
kelleyanne1988

Post by kelleyanne1988 »

i know! dang! Maybe you should move! haha

I would LOVE to be able to get them to the point they can hunt with me. But it was hard enough to get them stay unless the dove dummy was thrown out there. They just ran after every shot and if the dove was thrown they found out.

It took FOREVER to find dove scent! Quail, duck, geese scents were easy to find. Had to order dove scent online! NOBODY had it! Academy, Bass Pro Shop, not even Cabelas! I'm going to have to start using the scent. I bring the dove out just to play fetch with (too expensive for them to play tug-of-war with it and chew on it!). But haven't done too much with the scent just yet.
Have an Amazing Day,
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Do you mean they bolt at the sound of the gunshot? Or do you mean you want to steady them to the flush? I'm a little confused. There are ways to teach them to "whoa" until you "send" them. Technically, a well trained gun dog is not supposed to fetch until sent anyway-- of course, some hunters don't really care, and would just as soon they get on the retrieve as quickly as possible. Other hunters want the dog to wait until they are all done shooting, in the event they down multiple birds in one flush. Then the dog is sent to fetch them all up. Teaching a dog to wait until sent for the retrieve is pretty easy. Let me know if this is something you want to do, and I can help you.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

I knew Fundog "pretend hunt" but didn't know you loved to hunt, Kellyanne! I found out that Akitas hunt and retrieve, too, through my research. However, when you think about, any dog can hunt and retrieve if you take the time to train them properly.

I was taking my Akita, Karma, on a walk down by the creek that runs behind my house and past my neighbors. There, we ran into some Mallard (spelling?) ducks and Karma began scenting, pointed to where more of these ducks were in some briar bushes, and then she went flushing them out. That wasn't the end! As we moved further down the creek, there were some Canadian geese. The same thing happened! Since I wasn't carrying a gun, I don't know if she is "gun shy" or not. However, since that day I don't know if she will hunt other birds, but I do know she will hunt rabbit, squirrel, and deer. In case your wondering, the Akita is known to hunt bears and wild boars. This I'm not looking forward to at all because I've had my share of experiences with bears, coyotes, mountain lions, and I don't want a repeat performance!

Now, from what Fundog has ever told us about her experiences of hunting, I don't think it would be a good idea for her to handle a gun! You may get shot at like Dick Cheney! :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
kelleyanne1988

Post by kelleyanne1988 »

yes I'm wanting them to stay until I'm ready to send them to go get it. I've worked a LITTLE bit on it (not enough to do any good probably) when fetching, but i have to hold their collars and tell them to stay. I then say "okay" and Gunner will go, but Bear has lost tract of what is going on! haha

I have a friend that taught his great dane to dove hunt. haha
Have an Amazing Day,