Desprately Scared Puppy that Screams Bloody Murder.....

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Kim143

Desprately Scared Puppy that Screams Bloody Murder.....

Post by Kim143 »

I am hoping someone can give me some suggestions becuase I have a new puppy that is a very scared puppy sometimes. She is an Italian Greyhound that is a doll. Her only problem is that she is very fearful of men, especially my husband. When we first brought her home she was fine with everyone. Showed everyone equal amounts of affection, never had an outburst, nothing. Then we started to train her and that is when it all went downhill. The first time she made a mess in the house, we did what we have done with all our dogs throughout our lives...we caught her in the act, told her no and quickly put her where we wanted her to go. We were not aggressive or overly excited at all but the second my husband picked her up after telling her no she let out a short but very ear piercing scream. But as quickly as she started it she stopped, he continued to put her where she is suppose to go potty and moved on with our day. She wasnt punished any more than what I've just said and that was it. Then the next time it happened she screamed a little more. Now it is at the point that the second he goes to her and puts his hand out to pet her, her ears go back, she crouches down, screams and sometimes pees. For awhile it was just him and other men that she would react that way with and I just couldnt figure it out. Then one day I was home alone with her and we were in the bedroom. I was on the bed and she was in the bathroom sniffing around. All of a sudden she comes running out of the bathroom, crouched down, screaming her head off. She ran to the otherside of the room all the while screaming. I went over to her, bent down so I was on her level, and just kept saying its okay, calm down, its okay, but I had no idea what was wrong. Was she hurt, scared, sick, maybe a nightmare? And within two or three minutes she was fine. Another time she was laying in bed with my husband (thats another point I forgot to make, if he is home alone with her, she is fine with him, will snuggle up next to him, even lick him), and all of sudden woke up from a nap, looked at him and started screaming. Im starting to think maybe she was abused by someone that looks, sounds, or smells like my husband which in turn has created an immense fear of him and other men. I adopted her when she was a little older then most, and I got her from a store (which I despise but had a temporary lapse in judgement, I couldnt just leave her there). Obviously she is a puppy mill dog and I knew that going in but I love the breed, I have had them all my life and currently have another one that is amazing. Nothing like this one. She actually looks at the other one when she is throwing a fit in confusion. She will walk away from her and just watch from afar. I dont know what to do anymore. We have tried to give her treats whenever he sees her, we dont raise our voice at her at all and we are trying to make it as stressless as possible around her but nothing is working. I actually ignored her for about 3 days hoping that maybe she would realize if she wanted attention or anything she would have to turn to him for it. That actually seemed to work for a minute but ultimitely failed after a few days. Two days ago it seemed that she almost snapped out of it in a sense. She wasnt screaming, she would play around him, investigate him when my other one was playing or cuddling with him. But then a male friend came over and the minute he came in her fear took over and she reverted back into the timid, scared puppy. She gets jealous when the other one is being pet and she is not. She will come between you and her so you pet her instead. She will somewhat do that with him but not totally. I dont want to get rid of her but I dont know what else to do. I dont know how to get her to trust him or any man. Someone, anyone, VICORIA, PLEASE HELP!!! I need advise, I need a solution, it is causing so many problems for him and I. She is a constant arguement for us. He wants to get rid of her and I dont. I see the potential in her. Would you get rid of a bad child? No!! Plus my other one is attached to her now and she loves her in return. PLEASE HELP!!!
Doglover2

Re: Desprately Scared Puppy that Screams Bloody Murder.....

Post by Doglover2 »

Kim143 wrote:I am hoping someone can give me some suggestions becuase I have a new puppy that is a very scared puppy sometimes. She is an Italian Greyhound that is a doll. Her only problem is that she is very fearful of men, especially my husband. When we first brought her home she was fine with everyone. Showed everyone equal amounts of affection, never had an outburst, nothing. Then we started to train her and that is when it all went downhill. The first time she made a mess in the house, we did what we have done with all our dogs throughout our lives...we caught her in the act, told her no and quickly put her where we wanted her to go. We were not aggressive or overly excited at all but the second my husband picked her up after telling her no she let out a short but very ear piercing scream. But as quickly as she started it she stopped, he continued to put her where she is suppose to go potty and moved on with our day. She wasnt punished any more than what I've just said and that was it. Then the next time it happened she screamed a little more. Now it is at the point that the second he goes to her and puts his hand out to pet her, her ears go back, she crouches down, screams and sometimes pees. For awhile it was just him and other men that she would react that way with and I just couldnt figure it out. Then one day I was home alone with her and we were in the bedroom. I was on the bed and she was in the bathroom sniffing around. All of a sudden she comes running out of the bathroom, crouched down, screaming her head off. She ran to the otherside of the room all the while screaming. I went over to her, bent down so I was on her level, and just kept saying its okay, calm down, its okay, but I had no idea what was wrong. Was she hurt, scared, sick, maybe a nightmare? And within two or three minutes she was fine. Another time she was laying in bed with my husband (thats another point I forgot to make, if he is home alone with her, she is fine with him, will snuggle up next to him, even lick him), and all of sudden woke up from a nap, looked at him and started screaming. Im starting to think maybe she was abused by someone that looks, sounds, or smells like my husband which in turn has created an immense fear of him and other men. I adopted her when she was a little older then most, and I got her from a store (which I despise but had a temporary lapse in judgement, I couldnt just leave her there). Obviously she is a puppy mill dog and I knew that going in but I love the breed, I have had them all my life and currently have another one that is amazing. Nothing like this one. She actually looks at the other one when she is throwing a fit in confusion. She will walk away from her and just watch from afar. I dont know what to do anymore. We have tried to give her treats whenever he sees her, we dont raise our voice at her at all and we are trying to make it as stressless as possible around her but nothing is working. I actually ignored her for about 3 days hoping that maybe she would realize if she wanted attention or anything she would have to turn to him for it. That actually seemed to work for a minute but ultimitely failed after a few days. Two days ago it seemed that she almost snapped out of it in a sense. She wasnt screaming, she would play around him, investigate him when my other one was playing or cuddling with him. But then a male friend came over and the minute he came in her fear took over and she reverted back into the timid, scared puppy. She gets jealous when the other one is being pet and she is not. She will come between you and her so you pet her instead. She will somewhat do that with him but not totally. I dont want to get rid of her but I dont know what else to do. I dont know how to get her to trust him or any man. Someone, anyone, VICORIA, PLEASE HELP!!! I need advise, I need a solution, it is causing so many problems for him and I. She is a constant arguement for us. He wants to get rid of her and I dont. I see the potential in her. Would you get rid of a bad child? No!! Plus my other one is attached to her now and she loves her in return. PLEASE HELP!!!
:D

Hi Kim, I have a puppymill Shih-tzu. Your dog certainly sounds like one as well. Mine has NEVER gone to my husband. I have had her for one year to the month. There is a website called zootoo.com. I got some valuable info from the website..from professional trainers. They all say that the best thing you can do is try to ignore the fact that she is scared. Don't make it an issue. I'm also told for my husband to totally ignore her. She now will walk in front of his recliner because she knows he isn't going to do anything. I know what you mean when you speak of this being tough on your relationship but I'm like you...There's no way on earth I'm getting rid of my baby girl!! Check out the site. I'm listed as "vicster". Good luck with your baby & your marriage too
:o
Vicki
Wes

Post by Wes »

Just visited that website, noticed a lot of "pack leader" advice... not something I would recommend at all.

For your Italian Greyhound, have you tried having her in the same room as your husband and every time he's nearby, giving her a treat? Find a treat that she would do absolutely anything for (hot dogs for my dog) and only give her that when your husband is present. If she does anything, growls/screams/etc, don't tell her no - just stop with the treats and remove her from the room. Hopefully, she'll start to realize she gets wonderful things when your husband is present. :D

Ignoring her for a long time won't work because she does not understand why you're ignoring her and ultimately it will make her more insecure.

Good luck, and perhaps someone with a bit more experience than myself will step in and offer advice. :)
mselisabs

Post by mselisabs »

There was a lot to read there, sorry if I missed this...
Does she ever scream when you touch her/pick her up? I know she had that weird bathroom episode, but is mostly your husband?

We rescued a timid Brittany that warmed up to me quick enough, but my husband could barely touch her, let alone put on her harness to walk. He'd treat her but she'd just take the treat and run away. So we did a little research and found something quite interesting.

In your house, who does the feeding? Who does the walking? If it's you then it's time to hand the lead over to your husband. He should be feeding her all her meals and taking her on the "important" walks (like first thing in the morning, after getting home from work, etc.) so she associates all the good exciting things with HIM. You certainly don't have to ignore her, but when your husband calls her name from the kitchen you want her to run to him!

Until she starts to calm down around him it's best to isolate her from strangers in the house.
Kim143

Post by Kim143 »

Hey guys, thanks for the advice. She is doing better but is still a work in progress. We did the treat thing and it seems to work for a little bit but then after a about a week of her actually going to him and somewhat playing she got freaked again and started in with the screaming. She actually broke her leg a few weeks back and my husband was the one who came home and found her and took her right to the vet and that seemed to click in her head that he was there to help not hurt and again, she is much better but still no where near a confident dog. Her cage is her safe place so we let that be that for her so its like a back and forth game with her He has to sit about 2 feet from the cage, not look at her, treat her, and she will come out a few steps and go back in, then she will come out a little further and then go right back in but its how she feels comfortable doing it so we let her. I just cant pinpoint for 100% what her fear is because sometimes she is ok with him and sometimes shes not, sometimes she lets him pick her up and play with her and sometimes she will scream if he walks in the room. Also, which is weird, if the 2 of them are sitting on the bed she will cuddle and lay with him so I dont know if shes scared of him, something he does that we just arent connecting, his smell I just dont know and that makes it harder for me. Like I've said before, she does scream at me and other people sometimes too so I cant totally figure it out. She is my baby though so shes not going anywhere. Plus my other one, (which I posted a pic of in another section :D ) just absolutley adores her so I could never seperate them.

Thanks again. Any advice is helpful at this point and I will try anything positive so please feel free to comment. Thanks!!!
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Oooh... no idea how this got missed, but I will move to the Methods forum where its going to get a lot more views!