Taste of the Wild vs. Blue Buffalo

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Leigha

Taste of the Wild vs. Blue Buffalo

Post by Leigha »

I have finally found a place that sells Taste of the Wild and Blue Buffalo (who would have thought to check the Tractor Supply Store?). There's a difference of $4.00 between the two so as far as price is concerned it's like six of one and half dozen of the other.

Which would you recommend based on the nutritional aspect?
jjphoenix

Post by jjphoenix »

havent heard of either, are they american?
money can buy a dog but only love will wags its tail - DEED NOT BREED
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

TOTW has no grains, whereas Chicken Soup does. Both are very good foods. TOTW also has more protein. The store should have little sample bags of both. I've gotton them where I buy the food. I'll be buying TOTW this wkend. Max has been on Chicken Soup for 3 mths now & it's about finished. There's nothing wrong with switching btwn high quality foods.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

To JJPhoenix,

Yes, both brands are American. These brands are supposingly all natural ingredients and are highly nutritious.

The only problem I'm having with both of these brands is that after a while, my Akita gets sick. So what I end up doing is changing brands more often as well as prepare other nutritious foods for my dog. Does anyone else have any other ideas I could try?
springermomx3

Post by springermomx3 »

Taste of the Wild
[img]http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu114/thelifeofriley3/newsignature_edited-1.jpg[/img]
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

Here's my only concern...

When we had the behaviorist/trainer lady come to our home to help us, she suggested we put the crew (mostly Bruiser, but I feed them all the same food) on a low protein diet, in the neighborhood of 18%, because "higher protein foods have been linked to aggression in dogs." It's in quotes because it's what she said, I'm not being sarcastic or anything--I just really don't know. She said it doesn't cause the aggression, it's just been linked to it. Anyhow, we do have some behavior problems with Bruiser, and after really watching it we've kind of figured out that he doesn't start the "arguments" he's just very reactive and has the loudest and has the highest intensity with them. He's pretty much stopped with Lu, but Kole for some reason has started being really snippy and Bruiser reacts to that. Usually if they're doing something Bru doesn't like he'll just bark, but if Kole growls or snaps at Bru it's over and I have to intervene.

Anyhow, TOTW seems to be much higher in protein than what we've got him on so will it affect him the way the behaviorist said it might? Is that something I should worry about, and will I need to change how much exercise he gets a day with the increase in protein? And finally, keeping in mind that I have two old men (7 and 14) can they also eat the same?
springermomx3

Post by springermomx3 »

Co-worker of mine has that issue...she switched her dog from regular Blue to Blue Wildnerness and his aggression increased.

Perhaps Blue Buff would be a better solution for you.
[img]http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu114/thelifeofriley3/newsignature_edited-1.jpg[/img]
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

Okay, thanks. I looked at the TOTW stream formula and that's 25% protein (it's the lowest one they have) and the BB has two that are 22% (sweet potato and fish and lamb and brown rice). I'm going to have to look around for a place that sells those two formulas since all I've seen is the regular old BB. Which has 24% protein.

The search begins!!! :)
Wes

Post by Wes »

If you have a PetSmart near you, they sell three different kinds of Blue Buffalo, though not Taste of the Wild. We had Rosie on Blue Buffalo Wilderness, but she got sick, so now she's on the fish and sweet potato and does fine. I forget what the other kind of Blue Buffalo PetSmart sells, but will check when I go into work tomorrow. It's another 22% protein, though I forget what differentiates it from the regular BB.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I don't know how it is where you live, but here most stores are keen to get more business, and will order what you want. Might be worth asking.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

You can also go to the TOTW website, call them & they will send you free sample bags. They will also send samples of their other foods, Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul or Premium Edge or Diamond Dog food. Just ask. Or like I said go to the store/feed store & they should have the samples there.
The Blue Buffalo co will send a $5 coupon. Get the ph # from their website.
Iwas going to get a bag of TOTW this wend but bought WELLNESS instead b/c it was on sale, I had a coupon plus store credit. WELLNESS is very good too.
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

I saw on one of the other threads a debate about protein levels in food having a bad effect on older dogs (my doxies are 7 and 14--soon to be 8 and 15) will this be something I need to worry about?
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Leigha brings up a good question. It is an old question, one that has been asked before, but still merits asking again from time to time: Just how much protein do our dogs need? How much is too much, and how much is too little? Granted, the answer to these questions vary greatly, depending upon the size and breed of dog, the age and health of the dog, and the occupation of the dog (working versus sedentary).

I too have seen on the program, Victoria tell owners that the food they were giving their dogs had way too much protein, and that they should go to a lower protein food to help alleviate some (not all) of their dogs' problems.

Likewise, I have seen on this forum people comment that their dogs "would be bouncing off the walls with that much protein."

Other folks, though, it would seem, tend to look at dog foods in terms of a minimum amount of protein, the more the better.

I mean, I can understand if you have a hard working dog, it would need a premium performance, high protein food. But what about the dog that spends a great portion of its day snoozing on the patio, or holding down the sofa?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

There isn't a great deal of protein in a natural diet, and certainly not in comparison with some of the high-protein commercial ones. Raw meat is water and fibre as well as protein. So a dog's natural needs are not for a pile of protein.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

As well as Nettles point.... its worth bearing in mind....

How you work out the protein content of a dry diet.... as compared to a wet diet... the maths for which confounds me completely, but it is different....

The quality and 'bio-availability' of the protein content.... which for a great many complete foods is low!

So the percentage written on the bag tells you a statistic.

It doesnt tell you whether your dog will extract that level of protein from the food, and its not often helpful to compare the various brands claims of protein levels .... within the same brand, yes - but from brand to brand... no, due to different ingredients, different preparation methods etc etc.

Also many of the high protein foods, designed for pups or high energy breeds. also include a ton of sugars and carbs ..... which are as likely if not more likely to send your dog hyper and be instrumental in aggression problems!

Tricky subject.... !