Was today too much?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Leigha

Was today too much?

Post by Leigha »

I took Bruiser on his first walkydog run today, and he did really well. Was kind of hairy when he went for my shoes, but when I figured out that he wanted to really RUN and I sped up he was fine. He likes to have an occasional sprint in his run and the shoe thing is what he does to make me go faster. Have to work on that one since it freaks me out.

Anyway, we ended up going for about 35-40 minutes around our neighborhood. Going at a Bruiser trot most of the time but with the occasional sprint in there too. I went slow when he slowed down and faster when he sped up. Most of the neighbors who saw got a little chuckle out of it, but there was one lady when we were three houses from home who literally said "oh my god that poor dog!"

Well after I got over my initial how dare she insinuate I'm a bad "mom" to my dog, I started to question myself. Was today too much? He's 9 months old and a ball full of energy and seemed to me to do just fine. He never showed any distress, and even though he was panting, he wasn't foaming or doing anything that would make me think he needed to stop or slow down. I made us stop twice and take a little bit of a break.

Now that we're home he's doing just fine. He drank his water, laid on the couch, is now eating his breakfast and has recovered just fine. He's got his silly "yay I'm happy grin" which I honestly haven't seen in a while since I haven't exercised him the way I should.

So do you all think I did too much with him?
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Mathematically people say 5 mins per every month of the pup's life. So technically it sounds like you were fine.

However I would say that since he's just starting out, you might want to build up to it. Maybe do 20 mins trotting/running and then once his energy is expended a bit, come home and take him for a 20-min walk.

I would give him one drink break per 10-15 mins. I have a basket on my bike where I keep my dog's supplies - water bottle, bowl, poop bags, grooming brush, etc. And at our one-mile mark I give him a water break and he will either drink or not, but the option is helpful.

You did VERY well by keeping to HIS pace, speeding up and slowing down based on how he was doing. He may have been panting pretty hard in front of your concerned neighbor, or she just didn't know any better. Either way, don't worry too much about what people think of how it looks.

At the end of our biking trips, Murphy's "good dog treat" is for us to sit on our porch for 10-15 minutes and me giving him a good brushing. It's a great way for him to relax after a good run and he really seems to enjoy it - he sits very still for me and leans on me for support, lets me stroke him with the brush or my hand, and occasionally looks up to give his mom kisses. Just an idea if you're interested in that. :)
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

I only have a parenting-to-a-human experience to share, but it might help to give you some more reassurance anyway: When our first son was born, he was an exceptionally alert and curious, precocious baby, even from his first weeks of life. So much so, that all the stimulus from his surrounding world kept him from being able to sleep. We actually had to blindfold him to get him to sleep! Well, as a result of that, he became very attached to those cloth diapers (we used them for burp cloths too), and had to have one near his face in order to sleep. By four months of age, he had learned to pull that cloth over his own face when he was tired. So one day we were in the mall, with him in his stroller. He got sleepy and pulled his cloth over his face so he could take a nap. You would not believe how many strangers approached us to reproach us: "You're going to smother your baby! He's going to suffocate! Pull that cloth off his face!" :roll: He's now 16 years old, and hasn't stopped breathing yet.

Moral to the story: Don't listen to your worry-wart neighbors. How much exercise are their dogs getting? Do they even have dogs? He's your beagle. You know best what he needs, and whether he's having a good time or stressed. :wink:
mselisabs

Post by mselisabs »

Sounds like you kept a good pace! I never have witty remarks in the moment and I always think of them too late, but you could have told her: YOU want him for a few days? You'll be tethering him to a bike too :D

But seriously, he ate and drank after the run, and as they say a tired dog is a happy dog. Ya did good, and good job for taking the initiative to get him the exercise he needs! Since he's still growing I wouldn't recommend biking an hour 7 days a week, but even a few times a week should be awesome for him... I'd love to get my Brit used to something like this!

I've heard of people overexerting their puppies, usually boxers. After an excessive day (or days in a row) of either doggie day care or hours at the dog park they said their pup was so tired they had to carry them up the stairs. :-0 Now *that* might be a cue!
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

this is from http://dogs.y2u.co.uk/Dog_Beagle.htm

Beagles (or their ancestors) were originally used for hunting, and still are in some places. They appear to have been used for hare hunting in England as early as the reign of Edward III, who had a pack of up to 120 hare hounds with him on the battlefield during the Hundred Years' War. Beagling has been referred to as "the poor person's foxhunting," as a Beagle pack (30–40 dogs) is followed on foot, not horseback. The usual quarry is the hare. Beagles will bay in a similar fashion to foxhounds when in pursuit of their quarry. This is generally referred to as "speaking" or "giving tongue".

there are still packs of Beagles in the UK and they cover quite some distance when hunting, this isn't lovely flat country but in the Lake District or Pennines were it is moorland or very rocky. They can't hunt hares now but the hunts have moved on to other things. There is a pack of beagles near me, they hunt in countryside were those on horses can't go. You have to be extremely fit to follow these hounds.

Your dog needs a lot of exercise, Hunts normally hunt twice a week so he probably doesn't need this every day.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

Thanks everyone for your input! I feel a lot better now.

I can definitely do 2 bike rides a week. Not sure I could handle more--my rear is SORE today!

Bruiser was a great little boy for the whole day yesterday after our ride. He snuggled, kissed, and had his grin on all day. Didn't have a single scuffle or bad moment. Made me feel horrible that I hadn't done it before because he looked SOOOO happy, but we'll keep it up from now on.

We've figured out that if we constantly throw something for him to chase--as he's bringing a toy back we throw another one--it keeps him moving. Eventually he'll go and pick up the last thing we threw and walk to the other side of the yard and lay down with it, or come lay by our feet. So that'll be what we do on non-riding days to give him more exercise.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Don't you just love it when they get that "soooo happy" look? It's great, isn't it? :D I'm glad you found something that works for all of you, and makes your life easier. Good on you! :D
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Yes Fundog, I love it when my Akita, Karma, gets that "soooo happy look!" :lol:

I love it when I can get Karma to run a little bit on our walks! When we start one of our three, 45-minute walks, she gets a bit excited as soon as I start to trot with her. The irony in this is that I usually outlast her, but I tell her "I helped you get your girlish figure, you're going to help me get mine!"
DogzRule1996

Post by DogzRule1996 »

Usually to a dog "too much" really isn't part of their vocabulary :lol: I mean they could eat SO much chicken and not as much dog food kibble. Anyway, you can usually tell if you have given your dog "too much" of walking, food, etc. by their behavior. For example, if you have given your dog too much food, he/she will either not eat it, eat somewhat slower, or gobble it all down and maybe runny stool or throwing up, something close to that. Too much walking is the dog slows down during the walk, panting heavily with sides heaving deeply and quickly, or maybe gets home and just flops down right then and there without a drink of water or even going to his/her bed.
(¯`'•.¸(¸.•'´ ¯)
♫♪(¯` ¸(¯`'•.¸**¸.•'´¯)¸.• ¯)♫♪
(¯`'•. --=-_Stop Animal Cruelty Now!_-=-- `'• .¸_)
(_¸-_(_¸.•'´*♫♪♫♪*`'•.¸_)`'• .¸_)
(._¸.•'´`'• .Â.=-¸_)
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

For a dog his size I would say thats ok... probably not every day, but ... you were listening to HIM... matching his pace, I'm sure had he suggested you stop, you would have.

As to whether he knows whats enough or too much... thats a different matter but I would be very surprised if 30-40 minutes was in any way damaging to him! (Certainly... no more than it has been to you :lol:)

Do it a few times a week, perhaps stick to 30 minutes... then in a few weeks build up to three times a week.... or increase to 40 minutes.. etc etc. Just build up to longer or more sessions slowly and you (and he) will be fine.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

I need to clarify myself of something I've said. When I take my dog for one of our three, 30 to 45-minute walks, we don't run, jog, or trot for those 30-45 minutes. We, my dog and I, will run five minutes, walk, run another five minutes, then take a short break. I won't do exercise that excessive with my dog because neither one of us are in high physical shape to run any longer, at least, not yet. However, I doubt we will ever run for 30 minutes. We want to get and stay in shape not kill ourselves!
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

We haven't been able to go on a Bruiser run since our last one. The weather is just not cooperating. I'm hoping today clears up some so I can get us out there again. I don't mind the cold, but I don't really care to run in the rain... You can definitely tell Bru hasn't been out on a run since he's bouncing off the walls (almost literally) and me. He'll run across the room, jump up and bounce off of me. So I'm crossing my fingers that the rain's gone and I can take him out tonight :)
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

I took Karma for our second walk today. On our way back, it started to rain, but nothing was going to stop us from enjoying our walk/run! Just as with any inclimate weather, it is best to dress for it and not allow the dog to suffer for the lack of exercise. Dogs need exercise and stimulation everyday!
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

If we're out and it happens to start to rain, I don't mind that at all, we keep going on about our business. But if it's already raining, we stay in that day and throw things around the house, or run up and down the stairs--not sure why he likes to do that. If I try to get him to go outside while it's raining he looks at me like I'm a lunatic and turns around and goes back inside--and I don't really blame him. It's hard to be motivating when I don't want to do it either :) . But, it's not raining today, so in about 15 minutes we're strapping on our shoes and heading on out.