Walky Dog

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Leigha

Walky Dog

Post by Leigha »

So in my moment of pulling my hair out frustration I have just purchased the walkydog bike attachment for Bruiser. He's a ball of destructive and EVIL energy and needs to have the S-N-O-T (nice version) run out of him. I'm too slow for him, and though I'm working on losing weight and going to the gym and walking daily, I just can't jog far enough or fast enough to help him get rid of his energy.

I think he barks at the neighbors GD to make her run along the fence line so he can run after her b/c when she stops he'll bark til she runs again.

I know it's not his fault, it's my own idiot fault for getting a dog with a high energy level, when I'm too roly-poly to keep up with him, so we're just going to have to be creative about helping remedy the problem.

Anyhow, I can't remember who on the forum has one, and I've tried to search it, but can't find it, but I have a quick question...

I know the attachment has a break away feature, so if the dog pulls away it'll release the dog so you don't get pulled down. How much force will it take to pull out? Bruiser's a really good LLW, except for the recent issue we're having with him lunging at passing dogs, so I kind of worry about that. We're still working on the lunging and we can find places to ride him where it'll be less likely for us to see a dog. He's also got pretty good recall, especially when we've got food, but aside from going from the car to the front door, the dog park, and the backyard he's never been off-leash before and I'm a little afraid of testing it in that kind of a situation.
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

I don't know what you mean by breakaway feature that will release the dog if he lunges. Are you sure about that? What I believe the walkydog has is a spring inside the bar so that when the dog lunges, he's "bungeed" back to you. The safety instructions say to make sure the human on the bike is at least 40 lbs heavier than the dog. When we first started out, Murphy tried to lunge to the side a couple of times, I'm guessing because he wasn't used to it yet because he doesn't do that now, and all that happened is that he got yanked right back next to the bike. However it didn't cause any sort of fall, it just felt like a strong gust of wind.

What breed is Bruiser again? You want to make sure the length of the walkydog leash is long enough that it won't be tight the whole time, but not so long that he can get too far away from you.
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

So maybe it was another brand that had the break away pin inside the bar thing. I researched a couple of brands, and then last night just bought one when I'd hit my limit with him taking my blanket and pillows off the couch and fighting them.

I'm WELL over 40lbs heavier, so we should be okay with that :) Bruiser's a beagle (I'm guessing mixed with something because he's freakishly taller than all the beagles around here).

He's ridden next to a bike before, and actually does really well and likes it a lot (Jason rode with him leashed up as he held the leash--bad I know, which is why we've bought this thingermajig).
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Well best of luck to you, I hope it goes well! I saw a tall-ish Beagle mix too in my neighborhood, I think he had some sort of other hound in him. The one I have is from here: http://walkydogusa.com/
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

Yep, that's the one I purchased. How long did it take to get to you once you'd ordered?
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Well at the time I ordered mine, that site was sold out. sitstay.com was sold out, other sites I regularly used for supplies were sold out. So I had to search for it and found it on a site I'd never heard of that charged about $15 more for it. *sigh* I just bought it hoping I hadn't gotten duped. It arrived in less than a week but I paid for rush delivery. I would say the extra cost was worth it, though, because it was a great way to sufficiently exercise Murphy, and he took to it faster than I thought he would.
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

Just got an email from FedEx... should be getting our new toy on October 20th. YAY! I'm not completely sure if we can last that long without going nuts, but we'll certainly try to hold out.
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

YAY! We got Bruiser's new thingermajig today!! The box was kind of mashed up and crumpled, but everything inside was A-OK. I figured out how to make the little tether piece longer with only a small amount of frustration--which is really good for me! I really want to slap it on my bike and try it out, but it's going to have to wait until Jason gets home since I've just had a root canal this morning and am under the influence of prescription meds (gotta love the root canals with their numb faces and achy mouths).

So excited about this thing!!
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Can't wait to hear how you do!
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

Jason took Bruiser on his first Walkydog run today--I'm still on pain meds for my mouth. He said it went really well, and Bruiser is now passed out on the couch next to me. The only problem Jason had was the Bruiser would try to eat Jason's pant leg while he was riding. The stick part doesn't go out far enough away from the bike to keep him away from your feet.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

He may have done too much with Bruiser for the first time and could be why he was trying to bite his feet, or Bruiser could have just been having fun :lol:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
mselisabs

Post by mselisabs »

Sounds like your crazy boy was probably just riled up! Lesson learned - maybe wear some bike shorts :) Glad it was a success!
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

When we first started biking, Murphy used to pull to the side on our way home from the park (home stretch). I didn't realize at the time that it was because he was getting tired and I needed to slow it down.

If Bruiser does it again, have Jason get off the bike and walk with it. That way the bike is between him and Bruiser, and Bruiser gets to slow down a little.

Keep it up!
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

The pant leg bite is something he does when he's excited. Two nights ago he and the neighbor's dog were chasing each other along the fence line and when I went to call him in, the only way I could get him in was attached the the end of my pants. If we go on walks and I try to joggle (jog + jiggle) he'll bite my pants legs. He really thinks it's a fun game when I'm walking up and down the stairs too.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I got the other type, the 'springer'.... which does have a breakaway section....

Which i promptly removed because honestly. I would rather i fell off the bike, my dog is most likely to get out of the way anyway... than have my dog loose on the road.

Sadly we dont get to use ours at the moment as our two current bikes.. one is a mountain bike with a stupid frame that wont fit the springer, and the other is my OH's prized possession... a Dawes UltraGalaxy road bike.... and he wont let the springer or the dogs NEAR it! :lol: boys and their toys... hehe.

Anyway it all sounds good - tuck your pant legs into your socks!!!! Looks most attractive im sure but better than getting your ankles eaten! :lol: