Fox on a stick

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

MSTEED7931

Fox on a stick

Post by MSTEED7931 »

Where can a find the toy Victoria used on the show in which she called a fox on a stick?
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

It looked to me like it was made from a buggy whip and stuffed fox...or at least one could be made that way.
Bonnie

Post by Bonnie »

Sushi would LOVE one of those, I wish they sold them!
Bonnie & Sushi
Mamie

Fox on a Stick

Post by Mamie »

I was in PetsMart this weekend, and for $25, they have what looks like a fox pelt, but it's plush with stuffed head and feet. It's about 2-3 feet long with the tail and could probably be attched to a stick quite easily.
jeljohns

Post by jeljohns »

It's called a chase it. If you do a search for dog chase it, the website of the company comes up.
Maxy24

Post by Maxy24 »

It's also called a flirt pole. For smaller dogs you can simply use a cat toy, for larger ones you can make them with a stick (though something stronger might be petter) a toy and rope. You can google flirt pole but be aware that you'll often get pics of dogs flying a bajillion miles in the air, which is dangerous, keep your dog's back feet on the ground except on short horizontal jumps :wink:

This video goes over how to make one, though the kid's sort of a jerk to the black dog: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuhEdrzhTBw
ritchsgirl

Fox on a Stick

Post by ritchsgirl »

you can also purchase this item on ebay - called a Jumpin Weasel
or go to the webpage www.jumpinweasel.com. You can purchase it and add your own toy. I have had mine for about 4 mos, and my Sheltie cannot get enough of it........and you have to be careful not to say the
F word around her :shock: . She hears Fishin and goes crazy :D
whitesam

Fox on a Stick

Post by whitesam »

You buy a Fox called Skeenz, which is unstuffed and rather slinky so it slithers along the ground easily. Tie a 8' thin rope around its neck and attach it to a wooden dowel or pole and you're all set. It has a squeaker in the head & tip of the tail for added excitement.

My Samoyed loves it! He frequently catches real mice and squirrels in our backyard. This simulates the thrill of the chase without the bloodshed.
Bonnie

Sushi caught his Flying Fox!

Post by Bonnie »

This was the 2nd time I used this with Sushi (I need more practice!)

VIDEO

Going in for the kill

Sushi showing off his athleticism

GOTCHA!

Bonnie & Sushi (I won!!)
Bonnie & Sushi
Feathers

Post by Feathers »

My pup LOVES Skinneeez! We have the fox and the lion... I may just have to get the bunny too. LOL :) I'll have to try tying them on a whip and see if my lab mix likes it.
~ Carol

Carly, Lab/poodle mix born Jan 12, 2009
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Oooh! :idea: I bet I could make one, and then get some duck or rabbit scent from the sporting goods store, and it could be a good/fun training tool for my bird dogs! :idea:
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

I GOT ONE! I GOT ONE! :D

I just saw the ep with Olivia, and 3 other dogs, and VS used fox on a stick to help burn off some of Olivia's energy. I thought it was so cool, I had to get one for Max. After some short research, I found out that they are also called "lunge whips" and are used for horses. Well there is a large horse communities not far away. :idea: So I called a horse supply store, and they had them for $14. I went to get one. It is orange, has a good rubber handle and a thin bungee string on the end. Next I went to Pet supermarket for the Skinz toy. Boy did I luck out. They were on a clearance rack for $5.! :D So I got 2. One is a skunk, the other is a fox or squirrel. :?

Well Max went absolutely bananas for it. I knew he wld. He needs
to improve his focus and the minute I saw VS using it, I knew it would help Max too. I had also seen it previously on The Dog Whisperer when CM brought a GS to a training school. I thought it was cool, but I didn't give it anymore thought as Max was a very young pup then.

Anyway anybody who wants to get one, please do. It is alot of fun. Remember you can get the "lunge whips'" at any horse supply store. ( or the net of course)
whitesam

lunge whip

Post by whitesam »

Yeah, the lunge whip works great. I tie a 3 foot light cotton rope lead on the end next to the toy so that when my dog shakes it (to subdue it & render immobile!) the backlash of the whip dosen't hit him in the face and eyes.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

I think a fox on a stick is too big for my chihuahuas, but they love chasing squirrels. Has anyone made Squirrel on a Stick yet? This sounds like some kind of country dish. Yum.
Chessie: fawn 9-year-old Chi
Merle: wolf sable 6-year-old Chi
Nova: long-haired Red 3-year-old Chi
Cocoa: chocolate 3-year-old Chi
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

I think you could probably put any hollowed out stuffed animal on a stick and it would work ok.