Problem neighbour's dog

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

MaiasMom

Post by MaiasMom »

Now this is interesting. Where I live we have a leash law, it states they you don't have to leash your dog, just have it under control on YOUR property. If a dog is off leash and comes into your property to attack another animal the wording is Maurding. If it were me I would counter sue this jerk for the court costs your going to incur defending your case. I would contact my neighbors and get at least a signed statement about the behavior of the dog AND the owner. The more you have to show a judge that this was the attacking dogs owners problem the better it will be for you. I would have in hand a copy of your town, county leash law and maurding dog statute. Not all judges know the law, they need a little help sometimes. Don't depend on your attorney to provide this, sometimes they don't see the forest for the trees sort of thing.

You need to give the judge something to rule upon, if you don't ask for it, the judge can not and will not do it for you. Your breed of dog is one that many believe is an agressive breed, you need to arm yourself with as much as you can. You should not go elephant hunting with a bee bee gun.
The best days are spent with my dogs.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

My lawyer already has the complaints from my other neighbors from both the state police and animal control. In addition, my surveilance cameras on my property recorded the incident as well as recorded the fact that the attacking dog was never taken to the vet! The footage from this camera shows the dog in its pen 24 hours after the attack.

While it is true that the law in my state (Pennsylvania) doesn't require my dog(s) to be tied when they are on my property just as long as my dog(s) are under my control. I do keep my dogs tied because the area in which I live, I have a lot of wild game in which my dogs would chase, and also, since I'm not far from the roads, especially the interstate highways, I don't want my dogs get hit or cause accidents.

As I've told some of you already, I'm doing my homework; that is, researching laws and other things that will help my case. As the saying goes, "leave no stone unturn," you can bet I'm making sure he will not get away with this! What I have so far, he doesn't have a leg to stand on. As for the court proceedings, I do know that if I win, my neighbor will not only have his vet bills (I know he doesn't have any), but he will have to pay the court costs including my lawyer!

wvvdiup1
MaiasMom

Post by MaiasMom »

Way to go! Perhaps if it costs your neighbor some money he/she will get the idea of responsibility.
The best days are spent with my dogs.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Hello Everyone!

I've got some good news! I've won my case! :D

The bad news...

I can't walk my dogs because I have kidney stones of which I'm being treated for, but my other neighbors and my brothers have volunteered to walk my dogs. This is something I'm going to miss for a while until my doctors tell when I can walk my dogs because this is part of my time I spend with my dogs doing what all three of us love to do. I'm grateful to my neighbors and my brothers for taking the time to walk my dogs, because they will get the exercises they disperately need.

wvdiup1
katowaggytail

Post by katowaggytail »

Well done ..... and .... ooo very nasty and painful, take it easy and look after yourself. x
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Get better real soon, wvvdiup! Come back as soon as you can so you can tell us all the details of your dispute with your neighbor, and what the judge said.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Excellent news about the case and I hope you are better very soon.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Okay Fundog, here is the short version of what happened, "Doggy Style." :D

My lawyer and I brought in our evidence which were the security camera footages of the attack and what happened afterwards for the 24+ hours after the attack, my other neighbors' complaints, 20+ neighbors who filled these complaints, the video/audio technician experts, my telephone records, and other information from the vets in a fifty-mile radius of our area to this "dog fight" (court hearing). As you can see, that was a lot of "bones" as evidence to this case. My neighbor brought only his lawyers and no bones (evidence) to this case whatsoever to prove he had taken his dog to the vets after the attack. I guess he though with his lawyers, I was going to back down, but he was wrong!

During his testimony, he told his version of the event, denied that I never called him, and was asked why he didn't bring evidence. He replied that "he didn't think it was necessary to bring evidence and that I, the defendent, should bring my evidence to prove him wrong." As you can see, he is an idiot.

Then, it was my turn. I told the court what happened in the event, mentioning my neighbors who had filed complaints against this neighbor about his dog and who are here with me as well, and the rest of my "bones" (the evidence I mentioned in the first paragraph)) to prove my case. Also, I mentioned that had he taken the time to train and discipline his dog, we wouldn't be here today fighting this case because there would have been no evidence whatsoever that he has a serious problem with his dog and I even mentioned that I helped him train his dog, but he was to carry out of what I've taught him in training his dog and he didn't even do that! My other neighbors even backed me up on this when they gave their testimony!

Needless to say, after my other neighbors' testimonies, after my evidence was viewed, and after the video/audio technicians' testimonies, his lawyers tried to discredit all the evidences, but the judge wasn't buying their case, so I won. The judge ordered him to pay fines (because his dog wasn't under his control), court costs, my attorney's fees, and some other fees. In addition to that, the judge ordered him to enroll in dog training courses in which he, the judge, will point an overseer to make sure the dog gets the training and discipline it needs, which I think is good because it keeps my neighbor from taking this dog to the humane society or some other animal shelter for the next person to deal with this dog's behaviorial problems and/or for the dog to be euthanized just because my neighbor was too lazy to train and discipline his dog.

So, as you now know, his wallet and bank accounts are a little lighter and I bit him in the rear as his dog bit my dog's (figuritively speaking of course)!

wvvdiup1
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Oh my gosh, the judge ordered him to take his dog to training classes, and appointed someone to see that he does-- oh that is just too delicious! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Serves him right! Justice has been done here, in behalf of the dog, even! Oh this is great. Just makes my whole day. :D
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Oh, did I forget? The judge is a BIG DOG LOVER and has five dogs of his own, and if I remember correctly of him saying, he shows his dogs at amateur dog shows! So he knows the IMPORTANCE OF TRAINING dogs and strongly believes it IS the owners RESPONSIBILITY to do so as dog owners!

I do believe this and I thought he was right in ordering my neighbor to send his dog to an accredited dog training school, because he knew my numb skull of a neighbor surely wasn't going to train and discipline his dog. Secondly, the judge wasn't going to allow numb skull to pass his problems onto someone else either.

ALRIGHT JUDGE! :D

wvvdiup1
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Way to go Judge, indeed! WOO-HOO! Oh, that is just sooo COOL! (cackling with wicked mirth, here) :lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol: