Problem neighbour's dog

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

looja28

Problem neighbour's dog

Post by looja28 »

Hello

Just looking for some advice please.

I don't have a dog myself, but have a problem with a neighbours Dalmation. The first time that I saw this dog it came running full pelt up to me, lunged and tried to pull the plastic bag that I was holding from my hand, nipping my fingers in the process. The owner just laughed at the dog, told it not to be silly and said that it had a problem with plastic bags and walked off.

I have since seen this dog several times and if I am carrying a bag at the time (not necessarily plastic, it can be a cotton bag over my shoulder) it lunges at the bag and bites it and sometimes catches me with it's teeth. The owner just says sorry and walks off. Everytime I see the dog and I am carrying a bag the owner makes no attempt to control it and only pulls the dog off after it has lunged at me.

I haven't done anything before now as I never knew who the dog or owner was, but have recently found out that the dog belongs to a neighbour of mine.

The dog isn't muzzled and is either off the lead or on a retractable lead.

Today I saw the dog running off the lead toward me and asked the owner to restrain it - she didn't. I wasn't carrying a bag at the time so the dog left me alone and made no attempt to nip or lunge, but I decided to talk to the owner.

She denied the dog had ever attacked me and told me to prove that the dog had ever nipped me. I told her that the dog had caught me with it's teeth 4 times and would report it to the police if it did it again. She walked off saying that I was the one with the problem, not her dog.

Can anyone tell me if I am being unreasonable here? Surely I have the right to walk down the street carrying a bag and not expect to be lunged at by her dog and have that dog try to drag the bag from me and usually nip me in the process.

I have also seen the dog lunge at 2 other people, one a child. The owner didn't even seem to notice that it did this.

Does anyone know who I can report this to please? Is it the police or the RSPCA?

Thanks in advance
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

I used to have a problem yrs ago with neighbor's dogs jumping the fence and leaving 'presents' in my yrd. We had a big FEUD, cops were called, swear words exchanged--the whole nine yards! Anyway he suddenly denied his dogs were jumping the fence so...I videotaped them! I called animal control and he got 3 fines! :D His dogs weren't registeredunleashed & had no proof of rabies shot. I did a happy dance.! BTW he moved away shortly after.

Many cell phones and digital cameras have a little video recorder, or if you have a separate recorder have it on & ready next time you come out of your house/car with a bag. Record the unleashed uncontrolled dog then show it to your local animal control and she shld get fined for unleashed dog, and maybe something else. Or have a bagless friend stand a few feet away & they can record. This neighbor is an idiot and the only way you can make her see the error of her ways is by making it cost her. Now whip out that video recorder & good luck! Let us know how it goes!
looja28

Post by looja28 »

Thanks for the advice.

Video at the ready!
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

If teethmade contact and broke skin I think I would have only given the owner 1 chance to fix the problem after the first time. You are being way generous and no your expectations are reasonable.

1. Is the dog loose and does it leave it's own property. If dog leaves its property, it is a dog at large report it. A dog loose in its own fenced yard is not considered at large.

2. As mentioned try and get video evidence of how the dog behaves with people carrying bags. Be aware the owner will make accusations back about you teasing the dog. Get your neighbors involved. After making your report, hve another neighbor file a report (not for the same incident)
Nuisence laws often require multiple reports from varied sources.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

The police don't want to know but you can try them saying you have been bitten several times and are frightened to walk down the street now. They can order her to keep her dog under control. The DDA is an *** but can be useful for this type of situation.

You can also report this to the Dog Warden who should go out and see her, she can only recommend she keeps her dog under control.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
DogzRule1996

Post by DogzRule1996 »

Animal control will also help. They may even cease the dog. And it is a law that dogs have to be on leash.
(¯`'•.¸(¸.•'´ ¯)
♫♪(¯` ¸(¯`'•.¸**¸.•'´¯)¸.• ¯)♫♪
(¯`'•. --=-_Stop Animal Cruelty Now!_-=-- `'• .¸_)
(_¸-_(_¸.•'´*♫♪♫♪*`'•.¸_)`'• .¸_)
(._¸.•'´`'• .Â.=-¸_)
MaiasMom

Post by MaiasMom »

If it were me, I might get an air horn, the kind they take to football games, when the dog comes at you, give it a blast. If it turns and runs, good. My next step might be a squirt bottle of vinagar and water, give it a blast right to the face, it won't hurt the dog long term but it sure causes a bit of a sting to the eyes and nose. If this neighbor won't control her dog, then anything you do to protect yourself is fair game. I don't advocate hurting a dog ever, but this situation is just wrong on so many levels. Last resort, pepper spray, I hate that idea but I would hate to be knocked down or biten by this dog. Be prepared, know what your going to do before it happens. The sad part is that it is a matter of when, not if the dog does this to an elderly person or a child and the dog is the one that will suffer the most in the end. Just makes you wonder about people who don't take responsibility how they justify things.
The best days are spent with my dogs.
katowaggytail

Post by katowaggytail »

Camera phones are ok , but if you are anything like me then the dog would have been and gone by the time I was organised!! :oops:

Having something in your hand to squirt in the dogs face is a good one .. as already mentioned, have you yelled at the dog? Sometimes that can work.. is the dog snarling / growling when it comes at you? Only wondering as Dallies are VERY interested in food and that he may associate bags with food and try and get in them....(I have a lesser problem like that here! :roll: ).

Another idea may be to, when you see the dog running towards you is to swipe out first with said bag - not to injury, no, no, no but to scare and / or bring up short.

And finally there is the Police and Dog Warden, again as mentioned previously. The owner is reckless and gives us all a bad press and repuation....
MaiasMom

Post by MaiasMom »

I started the air horn thing many years ago, we had this family that should not have had children let alone dogs. They had 2 that they let run free. every time I walked my dog, out they would come, one in front, one behind. I got the air horn because I also had a small boat in case I needed to draw attention, so I took it with me one day and sure enough the dogs came at me and I was ready. I hit the button, let out a long blast and they all most tripped over each other getting away, I laughed. after that they would see me coming and start to come after me and out came the air horn, as soon as they saw that they went in the other direction as fast as they could go. The police finally did something because the went after a child.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

If it were me, I might get an air horn, the kind they take to football games, when the dog comes at you, give it a blast. If it turns and runs, good. My next step might be a squirt bottle of vinagar and water, give it a blast right to the face, it won't hurt the dog long term but it sure causes a bit of a sting to the eyes and nose.
Having something in your hand to squirt in the dogs face is a good one
Ladies, please remember this is a positive reinforcement forum, these do not fit into the posiive reinforcement methods of training.

The air horn is terrible contraption for a dog, no dog deserves this especially as they are only being dogs. Squirting with anything that stings the dogs eyes and nose is cruel an should never be done.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
MaiasMom

Post by MaiasMom »

Another thought, contact your other neighbors to see if this is happening to them. If the dog owner won't do anything, start a petition for either containment of the dog or removal by the proper athorities. Have a neighbor go with you and video tape the attack. If you have it on tape this woman can't deny the behavior OR hers.! Do what ever you need to keep yourself safe. The sad part in all of this is that in the end it will be a dog that suffers for this person's lack of consideration for her neighbors. Eventually the dog is going to hurt someone. Clearly this woman should not have a dog.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

I have the same problem with my one neighbor. After I helped them in training and walking their dog, they did "a little training for a couple of weeks" and that's it! I told them to keep up with the training or else they are going to have some problems with this dog.

To make a long story short, three days ago their dog came onto my property and attacked my Akita, while she was peeing! I had tied my dog outside so that I could take this one phone call I was expecting. So, when my neighbor's dog attacked mine, my dog "Alpha rolled" my neighbor's dog and bit her!

I called my neighbor to come get his dog and told him what had happened, he threaten to call animal control on my dog. He kept his word. They came out and I told them what had happened, but he got fined for not keeping his dog under control. Now, he is suing me because he claims his dog suffered injuries from what he claims my dog provoked the attack! So, I've been served to appear in court in two weeks!

I have a lawyer working on this case and I will let you know the outcome of this case.

wvvdiup1
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

I am sorry this has happened, your dog was under control their's wasn't, any decent court will throw this out, hopefully you have a decent one.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

As your dog was tied up and theirs was loose, they haven't a leg to stand on.

Well done your dog! :twisted:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Well, what my neighbor doesn't know is that my lawyer has all the complaints my other neighbors have filed with the police and animal control.

And you're right, he doesn't have a leg to stand on! He was in the wrong in the first place, but through his negligence and stupidity, I know his actions are going to bite him where the sun doesn't shine!

Right now, I'm just ignoring him even when he thinks he's taunting me. Maybe one day he'll learn why no one wants anything to do with him.

wvvdiup1