Seizures/fits

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

danabanana

Post by danabanana »

oh and btw the driver of that car ^^^ got 6 points on his licence and an £85 fine...

I had my last physio appointment 4 days ago x
danabanana

Post by danabanana »

I really should think of everything I want to say before I hit 'reply'!

It's a plastic crate btw not a metal one. Like a huge cat carrier. So although it's what I thought and read would be 'better' it does still have air vents and a door x
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

If she is properly cate trained and won't scratch or chew then you could use a soft fabric crate. She won't hurt herself in there. I know several people who use them for their epileptic dogs, but I think one person ties it down somehow so it can't tip over if they fit. Maybe you could put a fabric one inside a slightly larger metal one to give stability? Or your plastic one?
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

You can have a crate that is too big, sounds stupid to us but normally a dog's den is small. It is us humans that need lots of room not dogs. She will be out of it quite a lot so no need for a very large crate.

My crates all have floors that I can pull out to clean so my dogs don't get their paws stuck there. For the sides you can get the bumpes that go round the inside of babies cots to protect babies.

Have any tests been done to see if the reason for the seizures can be found? Joe my dog that has seizures, his are related to foods he is alergic to.

Can you describe what the seizures are like?
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
danabanana

Post by danabanana »

ahaaa I had not thought of those fabric crates!

I know her crate is too big for her generally I just wanted to make sure she did have room just in case she does fit in there - she goes fully rigid and shakes.

Vets this morning, have her booked in for further blood tests at the end of the month as no reason been found so far. I think they were to monitor the levels of phenobarbiturates in her body, check liver enzymes and I can't remember the other things now. Was advised that fitting once a month or less is relatively well controlled, they're not going to alter her medication for now.

ok the fits - every one she's had that I've seen starts with her retching and being sick - but just more saliva and phlegm than proper sick.
She then stands stock still for a moment like she doesn't know what to do before she starts shaking. It starts at her head like she is shaking off water after a bath then runs down her body. She shakes so much she falls over on her side. Whole body stiffens and shakes and jerks then it sort of goes into a different stage. Her back legs tuck in to her body but her front legs sort of 'cycle' in the air as if she is running but only on her front legs. She chomps her mouth and howls while this is going on, and it's also when she wees and poos on the floor. After that she'll try and get up - the first two she had she was sick again as she stood (more saliva and phlegm), the last ones she hasn't been sick at this point but the rest has been exactly the same. Very wobbly and looks absolutely petrified - eyes wide as saucers, ears back. She doesn't seem to recognise me or know where she is. After this I have been leading her to her crate, she tends to need a bit of support walking - and leaving her to sleep it off. Curtains shut etc to try and make it as dark and quiet as possible. She has been a bit slow and dozy for the rest of the day after each one but then back to her bouncy self the day after.

Hope that description helps, tried to put as much detail in as poss x
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

The leg movements sound like my husband's seizures, he had a stroke and couldn't move his right arm unless he was having a seizure, then it would be going up and down at a great rate. :lol:

Although alergies can cause seizures, your description doesn't sound like an alergy related seizures that I have heard about. The tests are essential and if possible a MRI scan, that will tell if there is any brain damage, hopefully their won't be.

I found that cuddling if possible or any contact with either my husband or dogs having seizures helped. Hubby was able to say later that it helped him through a very frightening experience although at first he wasn't aware of anything until he was coming round.

With both Tommy and Joe physical contact when they were having a seizure seemed to stop the panicking, it just needs to be a hand on them somewhere.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
danabanana

Post by danabanana »

I've been told that too, I try and just have a hand on her somewhere or stroke her and talk to her. Often babbling rubbish as I can't think what to say!

Nice to know that your husband found it helped though, I hope she finds it comforting too x
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

Many years ago we had a little mutt and she was epileptic. We got her when I was 14 . We never knew what epilepsy was. She had her first fit and we had no clue why/what was going on. She never went to the vet. She would first throw up, then she'd fall to her side foaming at the mouth shaking violently for a few seconds. After she was so hyped up/confused for about 45 mt--running back & forth to each family member. Finally she would lie down. She had about 2 episodes pr year till she was around 11. The last 2 yrs of her life she didn't have any. We never knew the reason for it. We lived on a fixed income. I think her first vet visit was when she was around age 10.
I wish I had known then what I know now. Knowledge is definitely power.