Hills Prescription Diet

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

bella482

Hills Prescription Diet

Post by bella482 »

Hi, this is one for the vet and we will be checking with them, just wanted an opinion really...

I have a one yr old GSD who was recently diagnosed with Struvite Crystals (bladder stones) and has been put on a prescription diet of 3 tins of Hills prescription SD food a day, for 3 months. The vet has instructed us to feed her nothing else, this includes *** bits and bones etc so literally all she is getting is 3 tins of "meat" a day.

Prior to this she would eat wellbeloved (or such like) biscuits along with liver, veg etc and plenty of treats.

Our problem is that she has lost a lot of weight, to the point where neighbours are threatening to report us...our vet says that this is nothing to worry about, just to feed her the 3 tins a day but we are really concerned...she looks so skinny, she is also moulting at the moment which I think will add to it.

She is also begging for scraps constantly and has resorted to trying to eat everything in sight...I'm so worried that she isn't getting enough food, but then I trust the vets advice so what do I do? I certainly don't want to increase the chance of her not getting rid of these stones, as that would mean an operation to remove them manually which I really wouldn't want to put her through...

Does anyone have any thoughts on this or similar experiences?? Like I said I will be discussing it with the vet as she has regular check ups at the moment but would be grateful for any thoughts you may have!
lulu4422

Post by lulu4422 »

Hi,
Sorry to hear that your dog is sick! :( I know nothing about veterinary medicine personally, but if I were you, I'd get a second opinion from another vet. That way, since you're uncomfortable with the way your dog is reacting to your current vet's treatment plan, you'd be able to have outside confirmation that it either is or is not a good plan. I hope your dog gets better soon! :)
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I would not be happy with that at all.

Get a second or even third opinion.

Id also do some research surrounding struvite crystals and diets, perhaps compose your own diet (on paper) and see what a vet says about it?
leigh

Post by leigh »

I agree with afore mentioned advice - I would most certainly be getting another vet's opinion!

Just because someone is qualified as a vet, doesn't mean they are always right. In this case they may well be, but it won't hurt to double check - for the life of your dog, and your own peace of mind!

I know it's heartbreaking when dogs are hungry, mine is just on a diet, and I feel bad when she looks at me with those hungry puppy eyes!
Kildrae

Post by Kildrae »

Take anything you hear in the animal world with a horse lick of salt. If it sounds fishy then do more research, get a second opinion, and trust your gut!

If your dog that wasn't begging for food before is now begging and scarfing all food in sight then she's hungry. Especially if she's lost enough weight to have the neighbors threating you. Listen to your dog, she'll tell you what's wrong.

Getting a new vet would be my opinion. Any vet saying that that sort of behavior and weight loss is acceptable should not be practicing.